Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » C-clip eliminators

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: C-clip eliminators
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How important are they? Also what happens if not installed and what happens when they are installed? Explain please. thanks guys.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Used by drag racers to eliminate the stock c-clips on the diff. Locks the axles in on the end of the axle tubes.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
Used by drag racers to eliminate the stock c-clips on the diff. Locks the axles in on the end of the axle tubes.

and usually leak [Mad]
if they didnt have a reputation for leaking i would get a set, but i dont want to park my street car on cardboard

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They are also a required piece of equiptment when going down the track in times of 10.99 or faster [Wink]

(edit, its either 10.99 or 11.99, not sure)

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
quote:

and usually leak [Mad]
if they didnt have a reputation for leaking i would get a set, but i dont want to park my street car on cardboard

Really I never new that! Well say if i don't run them and the C-clip brakes, what is the odds of that and won't the wheel and axel fly out?

--------------------

SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
drew brings up a great point....leaks suck, and it's not likely they will know at the track...but ask yourself, "How fast are you really wanting to go?", and go from there. [burnout]

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

and usually leak [Mad]

I have a fix for that so if you do decide to get them let me know. Mine leaked like crazy when I installed them but since I fixed them they haven't leaked a drop.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by John91coupe:
quote:
quote:

and usually leak [Mad]

I have a fix for that so if you do decide to get them let me know. Mine leaked like crazy when I installed them but since I fixed them they haven't leaked a drop.
please tell me your secret, because i want to run them but i dont want leaks [patriot]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

quote:
quote:
quote:

and usually leak [Mad]

Preach on Brother, preach on!

--------------------

SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98slowhoe I don't have a fast car:
quote:
quote:
quote:

and usually leak [Mad]

Preach on Brother, preach on!
AMEN TO THAT! LET US HEAR IT! [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i agree!

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
badazz
¯
Member # 1773

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazz  Ford pictures for badazz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get yer ends welded [Wink]
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
9" housing ends are THE WAY TO GO! They are track legal, they never leak, they cost the same or less than c-clip eliminators and overall are just a better design.

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What you need to do is to install an factory axle seal in the end of the tube but it needs to be modified first. The modification requires that you cut slits in the O.D. of the seal. The reason for this is that the factory seal is a little too big to fit in the unmachined part of the axle tube that is available. The original part of the tube gets cut off to fit the eliminator. Once the slits are made in the seal you just insert it into the tube (with minor persuation) and then run a bead of RTV between the seal and the axle tube. I will try to post a pic of the seal but I'm not sure if the host allows it. If not, maybe someone here will host it.
 -

Aah, that worked. The slits need to go all the way around the seal. This one was partially done.

[ March 01, 2004, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: John91coupe ]

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like a good idea to me. How long have you had it like that with out leaking? I have always heard to do the 9" big bearing swap and have the axle tubes welded up for increased strength [patriot]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

I modified mine about 3 years ago and they haven't leaked a drop. They work in the same manner as factory seals which last quite a while before they leak. No other RTV is needed on the eliminator, only the RTV on the seal to axle tube. Also, the eliminator bearings do not need the axle oil for lubrication because they are sealed so no need to worry about that. Doing the 9" ends is also a good way to go as long as you satisified with the brake setups that go along with them. I believe that the axle lengths also need to be modified to fit the 8.8 housing but I'm not sure on that.

One thing to note though. This mod only works up to 31 spline axles, which is what I have. The seal opening will not accommodate anything larger then 31 spline.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com