Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Anyone pass smog with bassani w/ cats?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone pass smog with bassani w/ cats?
98Snake
¯
Member # 183

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98Snake  Ford pictures for 98Snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dammit, failed smog, measured 76ppm HC (max 52ppm) at 15mph, CO2 14.42, O2 0.95.

Is the only way I can get this to pass, to put back on the stock H-pipe that I don't have anymore? [Mad] [BS flag]

thanks for your help [patriot]

Coyoteswapfox92
¯
Member # 4057

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coyoteswapfox92  Ford pictures for Coyoteswapfox92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn thats gay I just put Bassani mid-length headers and catted x-pipe on my car i hope mine will pass. I guess we will know come july thats when its due.Good Luck oh and if you need it to pass you can use my stock h-pipe. [dance]

--------------------
1992 Coyote project under construction.

Posts: 1051 | From: Yuba City, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how long has it been since you changed the oil?
that can make a HUGE difference!
also fresh plugs if you haven't done them in awhile.

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
89 octane gas [patriot]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

98Snake
¯
Member # 183

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98Snake  Ford pictures for 98Snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the replys guys, I talked to the smog tech and he believes that the high HC's are being caused by my plugs gapped at 0.032-0.035, like its supposed to be with the blower. He suggested that I gap them to stock specs 0.054 just for the smog test, then replace them when the test is over. What do you guys think? He doesn't feel that it is the X-pipe/cats since it is brand new.

-SVT-Parker,
Thanks for the offer [patriot] , I might have to take you up on that. I'll let you know what I'm gonna do.

Elapid,
The oil, plugs, plug wires, fuel injectors, fuel pumps, fuel filter, etc all have about 1000 miles on them.

hidnn.o.s.,
I also thought about 89 maybe even 87 octane gas. Excuse my ignorance, but can someone explain why this would work?

Thanks again! [patriot]

[ February 16, 2004, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: 98Snake ]

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey bro, I have a factory H pipe with literally no more than 3 miles on it...brand new from ford. If you need to toss it on for smog...I'd be willing to guess it'll pass [Razz]

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
make sure your car is plenty warmed up and the cats are good and hot! and all the other stuff people have been saying

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by -SVT- Parker:
Damn thats gay I just put Bassani mid-length headers and catted x-pipe on my car i hope mine will pass. I guess we will know come july thats when its due.Good Luck oh and if you need it to pass you can use my stock h-pipe. [dance]

lol...Its funny that you put cats on your car, but still installed mid length headers...Bassani mid lengths are illegal...If you pass the sniffer, you still have to pass visual... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Coyoteswapfox92
¯
Member # 4057

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coyoteswapfox92  Ford pictures for Coyoteswapfox92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
quote:

lol...Its funny that you put cats on your car, but still installed mid length headers...Bassani mid lengths are illegal...If you pass the sniffer, you still have to pass visual... [patriot]
I got a smog hook up. and the cats make a little less noise

--------------------
1992 Coyote project under construction.

Posts: 1051 | From: Yuba City, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
1CLeeN5.0
¯
Member # 2124

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1CLeeN5.0  Ford pictures for 1CLeeN5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you have an ignition system and upgraded all you electronic shyt like distributor, wires and so on. Then you should be able to make a big enough spark to burn the right amount then you should pass smog with no problem
Posts: 67 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cats cost more and also make less power, especially if you're planning on a Vortech...But, it's all good, cops seem to get mad when the cats are missing... [Wink] [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cats cost more and also make less power, especially if you're planning on a Vortech...But, it's all good, cops seem to get mad when the cats are missing... [Wink] [patriot]
No kidding...it used to be few and far between when you hear of cops popping people for no cats....but hell, you hear them all the time now.

Just the other night, I saw roseville PD with a crx (of all things) pulled over with a flashlight looking under the car [Frown] .....just another reason why I'm not putting long tubes on my car. [Frown]

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
98Snake
¯
Member # 183

Good News! Went back to smog the car and it passed. [Cool] The first time, I had only warmed it up for about 10 minutes/5 miles before I took it in. This time, I drove it hard for about 50 miles/45 minutes on the freeway.

Here are the differences between stock and the 2 tests w/ the bassani:

(stock H-pipe/Bassani 10 min/Bassani 45 min)

HC
15mph(52ppm Max)
11ppm/76ppm/34ppm

25mph(36ppm Max)
4ppm/31ppm/22ppm

CO
15mph(0.49% Max)
0.05%/0.13%/0.03%

25mph(0.46% Max)
0.04%/0.09%/0.08%

NO
15mph(424ppm Max)
48ppm/98ppm/406ppm [Eek!]

25mph(711ppm Max)
47ppm/55ppm/169ppm

Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yep, getting the cats nice and toasty makes all the difference! Glad you passed.
[burnout]

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com