Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » unknown wire harness???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: unknown wire harness???
eighty8mclaren
¯
Member # 2751

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eighty8mclaren  Ford pictures for eighty8mclaren    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There is a wire harness that is not connected to anything and I have no idea what it is for. Here is a picture of it. Can anyone tell me what this is for, and is it okay for it to be exposed like this?

-

[ February 05, 2004, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: eighty8mclaren ]

Posts: 100 | From: los angeles | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you are missing a timing spout.

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
eighty8mclaren
¯
Member # 2751

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eighty8mclaren  Ford pictures for eighty8mclaren    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what can I do about this? what is a timing spout?
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any ford dealer or junk yard. Or hit the for sale section and Im sure one of the peoples here would have a spare. Good luck [Smile]

--------------------

eighty8mclaren
¯
Member # 2751

thanks man, this might solve alot of problems ive had for a few years. lol I always thought maybe it was some sort of kill switch for an alarm. lol
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

how does your car run? [Confused]

--------------------

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Holy ish. With out that connector in there, your EEC will not advance timing at all. You're suppose to remove the connector that goes in there, set the timing with a timing light, then plug it back in. Someone forgot to plug the connector back in. Your car will feel like a rocket, idle better, get better fuel economy, lower smog emissions, and a lot of other good stuff once you set your timing to ~12 degrees initial and find a replacement connector. I believe Ford sells the spout connector as part of the entire wiring harness so the junk yard is your best bet. I think I got my extra one off of an '86 GT or V8 Lincoln.

In the mean time, you can simply short the two wires in that connector together with a small piece of wire and tape.

eighty8mclaren
¯
Member # 2751

dammmn, thats def. where all my problems have been coming from then. thanks you guys. so it dosnt matter what year I get it off of?
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bet you pick up 25-30 HP with a spout connector.

oooor you could set base timing to around 25-30 (if you're feeling froggy)

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by eighty8mclaren:
dammmn, thats def. where all my problems have been coming from then. thanks you guys. so it dosnt matter what year I get it off of?

It does. Not all Fords have spout connectors. Look for something in the late 80's with a EFI V8 (Mustang, Thunderbird, Lincoln, etc).

Taping a U shaped wire into to the connector in the mean time isn't a bad idea [Smile]

eighty8mclaren
¯
Member # 2751

My car is a damn rocket ship now, and all I did was use a wire for the mean time until I get a connector. Thanks you guys.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com