Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What should I do with my project??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What should I do with my project??
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
K, I have a 5.0 HO longblock I'm rebuilding to put in my Tbird. it has 150k on it, and the bearings show it. other than the bearings, what else should I check? I'm thinking I should take out the pistons (or at least take the heads off and rotate the crank) and look at the cylinder walls and pistons. what should I look for when I look at the walls (runs/scratches like the bearings)?

Also, I want some input on what I should do performance-wise. $700 for a 331 stroker kit is kind of much, especially on my budget ($140/wk, insurance, gas, pay car off, girlfriend, etc.). Does boring the block .030 over have much power in it, or any other advantages? Disadvantages?

Should I replace the pistons and/or rods if I stay with normal bore?

My uncle suggested a B-303 cam, since I still have speed density and have to smog the car. I probably have to stay with stock heads for now, so keep that in mind.

Basically, I want some ideas of what to do with my engine! Help!!

[ February 04, 2004, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: zpyro35 ]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
here is what you do. Order a rebuild kit from summit, buy the book on how to rebuild an engine, borrow a torque wrench, and a ring compressor and put that bitch in.

A rebuild kit with forged pistons will run you >$500. If you decide to go 30 over, you need to get new pistons. Take the block to the machine shop and have them hone it, and hot tank it, install cam bearings and freeze plugs = <$150. Paint the block. You can use those same pistons, which should still should be good. After that all you need is new piston rings, and main bearings - Rebuilds are so easy it's rediculous.

It wouldn't hurt to have them freshen up those heads either, but then after all this you might want to ask yourself if you really wanna do all this to your t-bird.

I'm sure the computer is different from from what you got and an H.O. Wiring harness maybe too- idunno about that one though.

-The rods are numbered and when you take everything apart, take your time -one by one - to put it all back together with the same nut on the same bolt of the same side of each connecting rod.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont change the cam either.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Find a 302 from an Explorer in the junk yard and install it. Best bang for the buck. It'll have GT40 or GT40P heads, and an explorer intake. Let me know if you find two of these motors [Big Grin]
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
Find a 302 from an Explorer in the junk yard and install it. Best bang for the buck. It'll have GT40 or GT40P heads, and an explorer intake. Let me know if you find two of these motors [Big Grin]

hes speed density, wont this mess him up a little bit too much

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well, a friend of mine can get a 331 stroker kit for about $400, which is 300 less than the cheapest I've seen.

Any why does everyone have something against any Ford car that isn't a Mustang? I just don't feel like buying a car and doing what everyone else does. I want to be different, I want to have a car that most people see as a granny car, yet can keep up with other sports cars (as well as burn the ricers).

As for the computer, I got the Mustang computer from the same car as the engine ('87, speed density).

For the cam, my uncle suggested a B-303, because he said it would pass smog and work with speed density. But I'll probably end up switching to mass air anyways, since I'll be 18 soon and able to get some more money.

What does freshening up the heads consist of? just cleaning them, or completely rebuilding them?

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do it man, I'd love to see a fast T-bird! Someday when I have money to spend on a project car I want to do a tbird because you just don't see that many of them that can really turn and burn. Atleast I havn't anyway. Don't forget the rest of the car either when you're doing this! Get that chasis stiffened up

--------------------
College student and U.S. Marine; The possibilities are endless...

Mustangs aren't built; they're born!

Posts: 844 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah dude, make yourself a badass t-bird! [patriot]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
KillerKar
Member # 3312

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KillerKar  Ford pictures for KillerKar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would like to finally see a Thunderbird runs 12's or even 11's.

--------------------
Pony Power rules!

Posts: 8 | From: CA, Sac-town | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

So how much power would a stroked 331 have? Would it still work with speed density, or would it require mass air?

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

does anybody know??

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

well today we sold my old car, so now I have $475 in my pocket. Plus today's payday, but I still have to pay some people off with that. So what would you suggest to do with that much money? From what I've heard, it's a lot of extra stuff to buy to get a 331 to work in a bird, so should I just get a normal 302 rebuild kit and stick with the HO 5.0? I'm confused!

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com