Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » ARP Head studs

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: ARP Head studs
93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustangt  Ford pictures for 93mustangt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm building a nitroused 306 and i'm trying to plan on somethings i should do. Can i put in heads studs myself of does a machine shop have to do it?
Posts: 543 | From: Orange county, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can do it yourself. There is nothing special to it. Chase the threads in the block with a tap to clean them out. Coat the top row of studs lightly with oil and the bottom row with thread sealer. If you don't use thread sealer on the bottom row then they will leak coolant since the holes pass through to the water jacket.

Once they are all coated just thread them in to the block finger tight.

Hell, if I can do it anyone can!

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustangt  Ford pictures for 93mustangt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Sean90GT:
You can do it yourself. There is nothing special to it. Chase the threads in the block with a tap to clean them out. Coat the top row of studs lightly with oil and the bottom row with thread sealer. If you don't use thread sealer on the bottom row then they will leak coolant since the holes pass through to the water jacket.

Once they are all coated just thread them in to the block finger tight.

Hell, if I can do it anyone can!

[worship]
[patriot]

Posts: 543 | From: Orange county, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
sac 5.0
¯
Member # 2980

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sac 5.0  Ford pictures for sac 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why just finger tight?on mine they had a place on top for a allen so i just made mine a liitle bit snugger.is that cool
thanks joe

Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There's really no need for any more than finger tight. Snugging them in there is fine too, it's not going to cause a problem.

When you tighten a bolt you are actually stretching it. This creates tension or 'clamping force'. We simply use torque specifications to get us to a certain tension since it is more difficult to measure tension than torque. So, the installation of the studs in to the block have nothing to do with the final clamping force. It is when you put the head on and start to tighten the nut that the tension is created. Finger tight (or snug) is just getting the stud bottomed out in the block.

Does that explain it or did I muddy the waters? [Confused]

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com