Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Cobra brake swap help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Cobra brake swap help
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, I decided I would like to do a cobra brake swap. Front and rear. What is needed, and any helpful hint I need. I plan on ordering tommarrow. So details asap would be nice.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what yr stang do you have?
BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stangin':

Read his avatar its a burnt orange POS lol

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont forget some nice DOT-4 or DOT-5 Brake fluid....Typically, it takes about 28-30 ounces to flush a brake system...

.....Maybe some braided stainless steel brake hoses will go well with the kit too... [Wink] [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BOUNTY HUNTER VERT:
quote:

it's burnt orange, but i still don't know what year it is. [Razz]
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BOUNTY HUNTER VERT:
quote:

it's burnt orange, but i still don't know what year it is. [Razz]
I believe it's 97'.

--------------------
Support our troops!

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is a 97. Any help on the parts needed?

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It will be helpful if you get a 15mm angle head wrench and a 15-17mm wrench that is made pretty much just made for the brake nut that connects the braided line to the hard line of the brake line, that is mounted on the inner fender.
Sorry i dont know the proper names for the tools but they will be helpful, they were when my roomie and i did my front swap.

You will be impressed with the new stoppin power! [Big Grin]

OH another thing, dont get any brake fluid on the calipers if they are painted/powdercoated, it is pretty much like paint thinner..... [Eek!]

[ October 13, 2003, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: 98StangPower ]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

stangin'
¯
Member # 514

the swap is pretty straight forward, very simple.
since most of the stopping comes from the front brakes, i don't think you need to swap out the rears. the rears won't make much a difference on a street car, i believe.

i rec. some hawk hps pads, russle ss lines, and when you do the brakes make sure you flush out your old fluid. go to ford and buy their high perf. brake fluids, it works great. 3-4 bottles should do it.

btw, if you plan to get regular rotors, get the OEM rotors from a '99 or newer cobra. its made by brembo and are better than the 96-98 cobra stock rotors. i'm not sure where you can get this from other than ford.

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well let me go into more detailed info.

I road race the car. So my back rotors go heat warped badly last time. So I want vented rear rotors. I plan on using a more quality rotor, than a stock oe rotor. Either Power Slots, or something simalar.

My main question is do you need to swap the brake booster? I know I need new mounting brackets for the rear axle, plus the new calipers around, rotors, pads, new front and rear brake lines. Do I need anything else?

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To upgrade to the 94-98 Cobra 11.65" vented rotors. You need the Cobra specific axle bracket, anti-moan bracket and rotor. You use your existing caliper with the cobra pads (they are thinner to accommodate the thicker rotor). There are 3 different caliper brackets for the 94+ cars. You can either get a cobra specific unit or grind the GT/V6 one wider to accomodate the wider cobra rotor.

Keep in mind that the 96+ cobras and GTs are all hydroboosted units, so the brake booster should be fine... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

lots of good info here.

brake info

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com