Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Tint Removal...?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Tint Removal...?
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I bought my mustang the original tint was mostly taken off except for little pieces in the corners and .... when the tint bubbles it leaves a circle of glue ... kinda hard to explain but basically im trying to find out what type of product i should use to remove all of this ... i've tried windex with a razor but its wont come off plus i have rear defrost so that makes it much harder ... any help is appreciated [patriot] thanks
Posts: 5364 | From: Shooting Skeet | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
try some warm water mixed with palmolive dish soap

Simple Green might work too

90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if this doesnt work does anyone have any other suggestions? [Confused]
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ouch, the rear window is the worst one to remove due to the defrost feature! [Frown]
What I did what took some old (clean) newspaper, and boiled up some windex until it was really hot (too hot actually)
then I ran out side and dipped the newspaper into the windex and wiped the window a bunch of times, be careful tho - that stuff smells and hurts too so take care not to get it on your skin!!!

and for those stubbon little spots go and get some goo-gone and some good clean straight razors and squirt the glue and let it soak in!!!

Both of these methods work, I did it on my 94, Ill be damned if im gonna pay some dude almost the same cost to get it removed as it would cost to put it on.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
badazz
¯
Member # 1773

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazz  Ford pictures for badazz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for the side windows windex and a razor should do it....but for the back window with a defroster you need a humidifier(sp) i had that done to my old hatch and it cost me 150 to take the back window tint off and new tint back 3. quality window tint, off polmeroy and el camino, tell em orlando from frontier ford sent ya
GHOSTDOG
¯
Member # 522

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GHOSTDOG  Ford pictures for GHOSTDOG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
use wax and grease remover it will take it of or try a heat gun

--------------------
hennessy lemon squeeze and green bud chillin in my stang with a mean mug

Posts: 320 | From: ANY LIQUOR STORE IN THE 510 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
platinumplus
¯
Member # 2249

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for platinumplus  Ford pictures for platinumplus    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Use orange automotive goo-gone with a clean razor blade,TAKE YOUR TIME, be patient,and be very carefull.That glue will be soaked and turn into smushy jelly,easy enough to take it off with your hands so you wont cut the defroster lines. I have taken off black limo tinted windows three times of my car and goo-gone works great.Goo gone is available at the 99cent sto!
Posts: 402 | From: SanJose CA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wait untill its the hottest it gets then and go get a razor blade. start peeling very slowly untill the tint is off. then go find tree sap remover and a mask and rub your sorrows away. this works.
its a pain in the ass though [Embarrassed]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
J's90-LX
¯
Member # 2987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J's90-LX  Ford pictures for J's90-LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea what cobraman said, if you pull slow like very very slow, and the tint is fairly new, it will pull the glue off also. but thats pretty rare. Also you can get some ammonia. we use it at work and it turns it to a weird goo. Then you just wipe it off.

--------------------
1999 Lightning
-4lb pulley,LFP intake,tune

87Z
¯
Member # 3386

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87Z  Ford pictures for 87Z    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When the glass is curved, just use the razor to pull up an edge and pull it. To get the residue from the glue off, use nail polish remover and a sponge with some nylon netting around it. It will come off in no time
sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
smash the window with a hammer and replace it [Big Grin]

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sharkattack:

I hate to think what you do when you want to replace your girlfriend! [Big Grin] [Razz]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 94gt:
quote:
Originally posted by sharkattack:

I hate to think what you do when you want to replace your girlfriend! [Big Grin] [Razz]
I smash her windows then cheat on her. [Big Grin]
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
something not very many people know as well, is the black plastic garbage bag.

Get a large black garbage bad, tape it up in the rear window, after spraying it with ammonia. You CAN mix the ammonia with some type of window cleaner, but it's really not needed at this point.

Make sure the bad is taped on ALL edges of the window, as to not have any "leaking" problems.

As this point, make sure the back of the vehicle is facing the sunlight. Leave it there for sveral hours. Occasionally spray more ammonia on the tint, and areas around it.

After several hours, take a heat gun, or a hair dryer of some sort, and begin to heat the specific area of the tint that you are trying to remove.

Refrencing cobraman's statement....take a razor blade to that part of the glass and peel VERY slowly.

Instead of using a razor blade to remove the glue (once tint is all removed), spray more ammonia on the glass, this time with a small amount of glass cleaner, and use a VERY FINE steel wool. No, it will not scratch the glass...that's the reasoning behind the glass cleaner. This way you do not damage the defrosters.

My work thought it would be funny if I was the tint removal guy for about 6 months [Roll Eyes] , so if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Btw...PLEASE use a resperator with filters (3m makes a few cheap ones, about 25 bucks) when using the ammonia...and Be ready to have your eyes burn like a son of a bitch! [patriot]

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for the info everyone... i guess all i have left to do now is try...will the dot matix be damaged if i go over it with a razor... it seems who ever took most of the tint off left the tint on this area [patriot]

p.s. all the tint is already off its just the glue circles and bits of purple tint in corners that are troubling to get off..

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com