Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Finally getting my vortech.... how much hp (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Finally getting my vortech.... how much hp
9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Finally getting my vortech s trim for my 96 saleen, been a while, finally have the money. Should be getting it this week. How much horsepower will it give me with just pullies, 3:55 gears, and cat back borla with bbk o/r x pipe?? minus my cold air, wont be using that..
and how much when i get it chipped and tuned, and how much does apex charge for that
Then how much with like a power pipe... thanks

does anybody install them on the side, or any places that are good, and how much do they charge, thanks again

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You wont be using underdrive pullies with your supercharger. Assuming you're seeing 10psi I'd be real happy with 300hp max. Gearing won't affect your horsepower output. I'd look into an off road x pipe for your car for a cheap horespower boost. SC'ed cars love open exhaust.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool, about time....I think you maybe be putting out some 350-365 RWHP

[Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team
-96 Cobra. HCI MOTORSPORTS block
-More cops in the family = more write-offs
508 RWHP @10.0lbs @6100 RPM..wait till I hit 8K RPM's

Posts: 315 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by J's KING Cobra:
Cool, about time....I think you maybe be putting out some 350-365 RWHP

[Whoo Whooooo!]

no way
if it was a 99 and up motor yea maybe
but on a stock no PI motor maybe 300 max but id say 290rwhp

Saleen_S281

I can do the install for cheap
just let me now PM and will talk cost

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
J's DDLY SNK
¯
Member # 2016

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J's DDLY SNK  Ford pictures for J's DDLY SNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Way to go Nick!
Now you can break those 14's. he he he....
You probably even keep up with Daniel. [Big Grin]

On your horse power, I think at the most 310-325 hp and I believe that APex charges about $500-$600 for a chip tune. Good Luck [patriot]

--------------------
Rest In Peace
Juan Moya "The King Cobra"
11/16/81 - 8/20/05
We Will Never Forget You

THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just run atleast 10-12lbs for a good HP off the blower. And add some headers or a new intake they have in the magazines this month

[patriot]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was going to order it today, but i think im going to buy 30lb injectors, 80mm mass air, and fuel pump first, or visa versa. with all that and powerpipe, and chip, i should be running around 330-350 to the wheels hopefully. Im really excited about the power gains. Should be running 12's easy... i'll keep you posted

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Saleen_S281:
I was going to order it today, but i think im going to buy 30lb injectors, 80mm mass air, and fuel pump first, or visa versa. with all that and powerpipe, and chip, i should be running around 330-350 to the wheels hopefully. Im really excited about the power gains. Should be running 12's easy... i'll keep you posted

if you are goin to buy bigger injectors
go 42# will give room to grow if you decide to up grade the motor
also get at least a 87mm MAF

and if you want 330-350 you will have to up the boost 12-14psi
so smaller pulli and maybe a power pipe

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

J's DDLY SNK
¯
Member # 2016

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J's DDLY SNK  Ford pictures for J's DDLY SNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 99gt-UJSTLST:
quote:

if you are goin to buy bigger injectors
go 42# will give room to grow if you decide to up grade the motor
also get at least a 87mm MAF

and if you want 330-350 you will have to up the boost 12-14psi
so smaller pulli and maybe a power pipe

I would have to agree [patriot]
Dont waste your money! Make sure you buy smart, get the 42#'s, the 87 MAF, fuel pump & power pipe.

If I am not mistken I believe Vortech sells their set up with the 42# injector and the fuel pump. I would call and find out before you buy something not needed.

--------------------
Rest In Peace
11/16/81 - 8/20/05
We Will Never Forget You

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

I talked to Vortech today and there kit sells for 3620 or something and it only comes with 30lb and fuel pump.

I found a place where for 2900 out the door i get the following:
complete kit with upgraded 255 fuel pump and FMU
but i dont get injectors with it but that extra 700+ i can get 42lb and MAF... but if i go 42's i dont need a FMU... so

oR I can spend 2499.00 for there tuner and buy everything seperate and maybe save money... what do you think....

How many pounds do you think i can safely run?? stock bottom end

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

quote:
I talked to Vortech today and there kit sells for 3620 or something and it only comes with 30lb and fuel pump.

I found a place where for 2900 out the door i get the following:
complete kit with upgraded 255 fuel pump and FMU
but i dont get injectors with it but that extra 700+ i can get 42lb and MAF... but if i go 42's i dont need a FMU... so

oR I can spend 2499.00 for there tuner and buy everything seperate and maybe save money... what do you think....

How many pounds do you think i can safely run?? stock bottom end

i would just get the blower kit
you can pick up used 42# for like 250
MAF 200 and you can get a used or new intank 255 for like 100 bucks

on a stock bottom end with good tune 12-13 psi

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

J's DDLY SNK
¯
Member # 2016

I still recommend you get the 42# injectors.
Get a MAF but dont get the C&L brand. I have heard they have trouble when tunning a car with a blower.

Playing it safe, dont push more tha 12 psi.

--------------------
Rest In Peace
11/16/81 - 8/20/05
We Will Never Forget You

96Mysticobra
¯
Member # 577

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96Mysticobra  Ford pictures for 96Mysticobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not trying to talk you out of a blower but y not just get a 99 head swap kit, bullit intake and stuff. For the price of the blower you can easily be making almost the same hp, probably more tq and you will have it throughout the rpm band. Then when you want to go faster youll have the right stuff behind you for the blower later.
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

BLOWER, BLOWER, BLOWER! [Big Grin] ! Get it while its cheap! 12-14lbs sounds good for a stock bottom end, and you'll have some more ponies to parade around in. Get the blower first!!

[patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

quote:
Originally posted by 96Mysticobra:
Not trying to talk you out of a blower but y not just get a 99 head swap kit, bullit intake and stuff. For the price of the blower you can easily be making almost the same hp, probably more tq and you will have it throughout the rpm band. Then when you want to go faster youll have the right stuff behind you for the blower later.

I wwoul say a head swap would be good to
but dont put a bullit intake not worth the power
for the money hell you will only gane 5 rwhp with the intake but if you have a blower then yea that be a good intake

also if you want to do a head swap I can do that
and I will have a set of heads for sell in the next week or so all you will need to get will be the passanger side valve cover

im sure I can work a deal on parts and installl

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The most '96-98 SOHC 4.6's make is in the lower 300 rwhp range, inwhich 30 lbs injectors are plenty. If '99+ head swap is in the forcast, then 36 lbs injectors would be good choice. 275 rwhp is very typical for a '96-98 SOHC 4.6L with mufflers and a S trim [patriot]
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a set of NEW ford 42 pound injectors you can have for 300.00. I Also do blower installs and I have a wide ban 02 that i use to tune the car with. [burnout]

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why not go 99+ heads,intake, and stage 1 cams from big boy racing, that would probably be about 2k then get the heads p/p'ed for around $500 (im guessing) then you will be good to go for about 300rwhp along with your other bolt ons. That should be enough to throw you into the low 13's high 12's.

APEX charges $157.xx and hour for tuning with the CAFords discount, but i forget how much they charge for there autologic chip, whatever you do just have Byron tune whatever you get!!!

Thats all I have to say 'bout that... [Big Grin]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Im going with 42's, 87mm pro-m, and a 255 fuel pump, i talked to sheldon and he's said he would install it for me for 600 and warranty it for as long as i own the car... im going with 12-13 pounds of boost chiped and tuned. power piped i should be around 310-320 to the wheels.... thats good for easy 12's

im going blower first because this will be the only time probably i will have this kind of money... im buying p.i. heads and cam next... sheldon said i should be around 400hp to the wheels when this is done.. thanks guys, let me know what you think?

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning

J's DDLY SNK
¯
Member # 2016

That sounds like a good idea! Good luck with the set up and hopefully you gets into 12's now!
[burnout]

--------------------
Rest In Peace
11/16/81 - 8/20/05
We Will Never Forget You

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
try not to pop too many head gaskets... [Big Grin]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You are doing the right thing by beefing up the fuel system.

Unless Byron retards the timing way back, I doubt the motor will live long at 12+lbs. It already has fairly high compression, which doesn't mix well with high boost and 91 octane. Get an intercooler.

When using any mechanic, always get the warrenty, any promises and what they are going to do in writing. Doesn't matter who it is. These cars are expensive to build.

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

When I talked to sheldon the other day he said that 12 pounds would be no problem with a chip and tune.... but on the other hand im getting the power pipe which will give me an additional 1-3 more pounds so i might just go with the 10 pound pulley and the power pipe.... i dont really feel like blowing any head gaskets so i think i will play it that way.... sheldon told me he would warranty the car as long as i own it... he said any problems and i take it back so i think thats pretty cheap and good warranty... this should easily get me into the 12's what do you think....

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

When I talked to sheldon the other day he said that 12 pounds would be no problem with a chip and tune.... but on the other hand im getting the power pipe which will give me an additional 1-3 more pounds so i might just go with the 10 pound pulley and the power pipe.... i dont really feel like blowing any head gaskets so i think i will play it that way.... sheldon told me he would warranty the car as long as i own it... he said any problems and i take it back so i think thats pretty cheap and good warranty... this should easily get me into the 12's what do you think....

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning

Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

A few words of wisdom from someone that has spent a few $$ on having his car modded.

Head gaskets are cheap to replace compared to a good short block. I have seen multiple blocks with big holes because a rod blew out the side. They were all stock block, blown and running under 14lbs boost.

Make sure you understand what "any problem" means. Your actions and acts of god may affect the meaning of the word "any". If I were him, that would mean the heads and blower.

Also, say you were to get detonation and threw a rod? What does fix mean? A new forged motor? A wrecking yard motor? If he will give you a forged motor but for a price (duh)? How much$$$.

If you understand each other, YOU will be a lot happier in the future.

Lastly. Greed kills. There is only so much boost you can run on 91 octane and a forged motor let alone a stock block. It is a simple law of physics. If the fuel gets too hot, it will ignite too soon and try to fire the piston the wrong way. The stock rod snaps and flys out the side of the block.

Good luck with it. I'm sure it will be a blast to drive. Next you will have to put in a TKO or a T-56 in it [Smile]

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com