Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » can someone ID this bit from a 4.6?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: can someone ID this bit from a 4.6?
Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i found it on my oil drainplug
nice to have the magnetic trap...
not so nice that the other 3/4 of this thing is still in there
[Frown]

-

[ October 04, 2003, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Elapid ]

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
USA!!!! USA!!!! [patriot]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it looks like a piece of a piston ring thats the only thing i can think of.but from the size of the piece to that quarter i really dont know

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the only thing that seems to match the diameter is maybe some front camshaft part? or maybe it's something foreign that got dropped inside my engine when it was out at the ford dealer?

it is obviously worn like it was a shim on a moving part or tightened alot...

too big for a valvetrain piece...

[Confused]

--------------------
98 Cobra

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The piece has too much curvature to be from a piston ring. Is the piece flat or rounded? It looks round almost from the picture, but it's hard to tell.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it's flat like a washer
slightly larger diameter than the quarter.

--------------------
98 Cobra

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

so...
i guess this means a complete teardown is in order?
if i can figure out what it is first, i might be able to fix it without pulling the motor is what i'm thinking...

anyone have one of these motors fully apart?

i have a set of heads sitting here and don't see anything that looks quite the right size.

anyone??????

--------------------
98 Cobra

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The seat to a ring [Confused]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Email it to Sean Hiland and ask them what it is.
Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
good idea!

--------------------
98 Cobra

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a chip of the main bearing?

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why not try a comp or leakdown test to see if you have broken a piece of a ring?? If that's your main concern...

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

it's not a piece of piston ring. the diameter is way too small.

my main concern is that it appears that there's metal floating around in my motor that should be in one piece.

--------------------
98 Cobra

04Z06
AX/OT Moderator
Member # 2309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04Z06  Ford pictures for 04Z06    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks almost like a thread to a bolt.. Maybe too deep but??

--------------------
2004 Z06
2003 DSG Mach 1 Wife took it in the Divorce
2001 Cobra (scrap yard, I hope)
2003 Blk Cobra (traded)

azl
¯
Member # 2112

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for azl  Ford pictures for azl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are there any Spirolox retainers in Ford engines? (no experience here)

http://www.kaydon.com/spirolox/springs.asp

maybe a stray piece from a stamped part like the valve cover? like SVT2001 said, it looks like a thread to a very large hole.

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So any updates yet?

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i sent a pic to SHM, no response from them. the car's in the shop getting some other stuff fixed that they left loose last time they worked on it
[Eek!]

i have looked at all the diameters of the main rotating components and the only thing that makes sense is that something from the fromt of the motor lost a washer. if it came from the front, it wouldn't have hurt anything on the way to the pan, i hope...

i need to get the car through smog first then i'll pull the front cover off and see what there is to see.

maybe i'll get lucky and they will break it at the shop and put in a new motor for me...

lol!

--------------------
98 Cobra

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com