Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » which motor 331 or 306

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: which motor 331 or 306
sac 5.0
¯
Member # 2980

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sac 5.0  Ford pictures for sac 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i finally have the money for heads and a motor going to get the afr 185's and need to now what you guys think bout the motor 331 or 306 i think i might run the z cam since i already have it and 1.7 rockers 70mm t/b and spacer and a typhoon intake (just like the elderbrok) what do you think? worth it? change anything. anything helps. or should i get a custom grind cam? mabey get another intake.really nead some suggestions.after i get it built might want to squeeze just a little to make sure i will win
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whats wrong with the 4 banger thats in it now? [Big Grin]
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
double post

[ September 18, 2003, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: slidewayz94 ]

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
306 or 331...no real answer for ya on that one. The 331 will put out more TQ, the 306 will spin higher given everything else is the same.
The Z with 1.7's ought to put out quite a bit of power actually.
I'd go with the RPM intake & 70mmTB. Typhoon makes a performer & RPM equivilent....get the RPM version.
Since you already have the Z, I'd run that for a while, see how it responds, then go custom later if you wanted more power.

I don't see why this combo would put out less then 320RWHP & 340RWTQ.....with either rotating assembly.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
sac 5.0
¯
Member # 2980

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sac 5.0  Ford pictures for sac 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have the polished intake now i did not know they had made to diffrent one performer and rpm and also will i have to do anything special to run my z cam and i see you are in sac any good machine shops that you have done bussines with and can vogue for

[ September 18, 2003, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: sac 5.0 ]

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nothing special with the Z. I would retard it 4 degrees though. Which means getting an adjustable timing chain & degreeing in the cam.

I've tried several machine shops around town. By FAR the best I've been to is Motor Machine on Fair Oaks Blvd. I use them exclusively now.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
Nothing special with the Z. I would retard it 4 degrees though. Which means getting an adjustable timing chain & degreeing in the cam.

I've tried several machine shops around town. By FAR the best I've been to is Motor Machine on Fair Oaks Blvd. I use them exclusively now.

shaun dont u think the z cam with 1.7 rr's is a little excessive lift for his combo, that was over .585 lift, thats quite a bit for unported afrs and a stock intake, but then again what do i know about cams [patriot]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you plan on the spray, I say 306 so it has a longer RPM band to use the nitrous. If you want to go all motor then I would say 331. Oh and I'm sure you've been told 100 times to ditch that manifold so I may as well make it 101 [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your question can't be answered with out stating what you want it to do.

Pass smog?
Drag race?
Road race?
Good around town/daily driver?
What kind of gears?
Auto or stick?
Power adder in the future? If so, what kind?

If you can answer these then you should be happier in the long run.

The 331 will have more low end TQ. HP is really just a factor of TQ (TQ peak will determine where in the RPM range HP peak will occur) the higher TQ peak the more usable RPM pange you will have. All depends on what you want to use it for, your personal preferance and what parts you have.

For the 306 a short runner intake for RPMs and a longer runner for the 331. Cams and heads will also depend on what you want to do.

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

sac 5.0
¯
Member # 2980

pass smog no grag race yes road race no around town mabey not daily driver 373 mabey 410 5 speed and spray only if im lossing the race
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by 93PONY:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

shaun dont u think the z cam with 1.7 rr's is a little excessive lift for his combo, that was over .585 lift, thats quite a bit for unported afrs and a stock intake, but then again what do i know about cams if this is true what cam do you think i should run what kind of grind?

[ September 20, 2003, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: sac 5.0 ]

sac 5.0
¯
Member # 2980

Member # 1689

quote:

posted September 20, 2003 01:12 AM
If you plan on the spray, I say 306 so it has a longer RPM band to use the nitrous. If you want to go all motor then I would say 331. Oh and I'm sure you've been told 100 times to ditch that manifold so I may as well make it 101
quote:

so what intake do you suggest them

quote:

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

I think 1.7's with the Z would work quite well. Makes the cam a little 'hotter'. [Smile]
.585 is not too excessive. (we're running .598 with 1.6's on 91PONY's car)Just have to make sure the valvesprings from AFR can handle it. Not a big deal to just order them from someone like Ed Curtis & tell him that you have a Z & 1.7's....he'll setup the correct valvetrain.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com