Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 5.0 into a 65 stang

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 5.0 into a 65 stang
89TRUNK
¯
Member # 2506

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89TRUNK  Ford pictures for 89TRUNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im thinking of putting a 5.0 into an early mustang, what do i have to change for it to work. Ohh ya i want to keep it carbed and no serpentine belt or power steering,backed by a c4.Also will early heads fit a 5.0 block? Will a c6 fit a 65 stang, if not what do i have to change?
rr_mustang
¯
Member # 888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rr_mustang  Ford pictures for rr_mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you are basically installing a roller motor in an early model, you wont have to change anything if you are leaving it carbed.

--------------------
Dart 408 w/ AFR 205's

Posts: 473 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89TRUNK:
Im thinking of putting a 5.0 into an early mustang, what do i have to change for it to work. Ohh ya i want to keep it carbed and no serpentine belt or power steering,backed by a c4.Also will early heads fit a 5.0 block? Will a c6 fit a 65 stang, if not what do i have to change?

your mechanic should have no problem doing this for you.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

89TRUNK
¯
Member # 2506

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89TRUNK  Ford pictures for 89TRUNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im doin it myself.
67stang12s
¯
Member # 2314

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67stang12s  Ford pictures for 67stang12s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if u want to keep the 65 accesories youre gonna have to your crank pulley
i think the 65 has 3 bolt and the 5.0 has 4 or other way around and u should be coo talk to a mustang shop tho
but i think the balance are different too,
along with flexplates for the c4

--------------------
The Heartbeat stops here
F O R D

Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm pretty sure the heads can swap but a call to a machine shop will verify this. To keep the '66 accesories you will probably want to use the timing cover, water pump and brackets off of the 289. I think you can get a 50oz (the new style)balancer with a 3 bolt pattern (the old style). You will also have to get a flexplate for the c4 that matches the 50oz balance on the roller motor, B&M sells these. Of course youll have to use the oil pan off of the 289, or any other front sump pan for 289-302. You can find c6's with the small block bolt pattern but you'd be much better off going with a beefed up c4. Hope this helps
Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
89TRUNK
¯
Member # 2506

Thanks for the info.
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Might be useful stuff in here.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/engine.shtml

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just buy my 65', it'll be ready and for sale in November.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
But if you don't want to, then, You'll need a custom set of pullies from March if you want to run the old school style V-belt, along with a standard rotation waterpump.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

icon
¯
Member # 949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for icon  Ford pictures for icon    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
change the timing cover, oil pan, plug the hole in the side of the block for the old dipstick
b&m sells a 50oz flywheel get a crank pull from a 85 or earier 4 bolt balencer engine
yes a c6 will fit but you will need to make a transmission crossmember
good luck if you need help feel free to pm me iv done both conversions a few times

--------------------
i have a dual frame rail chromoly tube chassis mustang and you dont :)
i do chassis work anything for subframe con's to full chassis cars

icon
¯
Member # 949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for icon  Ford pictures for icon    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oh yeah the heads will fit 289-302-351w heads will all interchange if youve got extra cash you can fit a set of cleavlands on there, iv got a set of cleavlands you can put on there but you need a special intake that would be the way to make some serious power

--------------------
i have a dual frame rail chromoly tube chassis mustang and you dont :)
i do chassis work anything for subframe con's to full chassis cars

89TRUNK
¯
Member # 2506

Right on for the info, i appreciate it, im running rpm heads by the way.
kwikrob
¯
Member # 835

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kwikrob  Ford pictures for kwikrob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
These guys are right on about the 50 oz. flywheel. Check with Jerry at ABC Mustang. He is on Meekland in Hayward. I'm pretty sure he sells them. He can also answer your questions. (510) 886-TANG (8264). And stick with a c4. A c6 robs too much power. I know from experience. I had one bolted to a Cleveland for a few years.

--------------------
Slowest car on this board!

sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you may want to switch to a reverse rotation waterpump and a 5.0 timing cover because the timing marks on the 50 oz balancer will be covered up by the standard rotation water pump. And dont use those crappy v-belts switch to a serpintine system. I just finished my 306 (5.0) motor which is going into my 65. March has a nice kit. Part number 30115. Came with 4 bolt crank, wp, alt, and idler with all brackets. Fit like a glove.

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com