Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » need help with 2001 gt, please!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: need help with 2001 gt, please!
msj484
¯
Member # 1341

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for msj484  Ford pictures for msj484  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hello all,

it is time for me to make more mods to my car, and i need your help. currently i have:

vrs catted x pipe
mac cold air kit
c&l 87mm mass air
70mm chromed bbk throttle body
american flowmasters
chrome radiator hoses
3.5 inch exaust tips

please give me your suggestions. someone mentioned changing my gears, but i kinda like the stock gear setup, because i do want want my freeway acceration changed. please help. thankx all.

Posts: 270 | From: San Pablo, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Gears.
Gears.
Gears.

You will accelerate FASTER! And your OD will be fine on the highway. Just ask bunchmyfunky w/ his 4.10's.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pullies/gears/intake.

If you have the $$ get a T56 to go with the gears, then there is no issue with freeway cruising.

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

msj484
¯
Member # 1341

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for msj484  Ford pictures for msj484  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well i got 4 amps, and a 15' woofer, a radar detector, powerfl speakers, and i heard pullies would mess with my electricity.

is intake expensive, would it really help? what about cams?

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you wanr the car to be faster- you know- outrun Cameros?
Hater
¯
Member # 3085

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for Hater  Ford pictures for Hater    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Everything is fine, exept for the C&L Mass air, go with a Pro-M 80mm, and yes gears is a must, 4.10s is my sugestion, and of course underdrive pullies...and if you want a power ader, I would start with a shot of nitrous, NX I recomend you. [burnout]
chronicsmokin281
¯
Member # 1649

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for chronicsmokin281  Ford pictures for chronicsmokin281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
3.90 gears, pulleys, timing adjuster and control arms!
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With that much stereo equipment I wouldn't change the pulleys. I would go with gears 3.90s or 4.10s, Nitrous and a Timing Adjuster. 4.10 gears will only up your your rpm by 600 over your stock 3.27s

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
Hrly01Stng
¯
Member # 2843

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hrly01Stng  Ford pictures for Hrly01Stng    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Gears 3.73 is a good ratio.. 4.10's are just too damn high.. underdrive pulleys will do alot more.. off road pipes. Dont get a timing adjuster its a waste of $$ You end up pinging and having lots or problems i have friends who has the adjuster and runs 100 octane and still pings.. other power adders. cheap NOS. Or save up 4,000 and get a supercharger kit..

--------------------
HCI blower built shortblock 285ci

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Hrly01Stng:
Gears 3.73 is a good ratio.. 4.10's are just too damn high.. underdrive pulleys will do alot more.. off road pipes. Dont get a timing adjuster its a waste of $$ You end up pinging and having lots or problems i have friends who has the adjuster and runs 100 octane and still pings.. other power adders. cheap NOS. Or save up 4,000 and get a supercharger kit..

First off 4.10s are not to damn high. Do you have them? I do. I commute 150miles a day with them and still get 20-24mpg and run 3000rpm at 80mph. Next the Timing adjuster is not a waste, again do you have one? I do. I have no pinging problems what so ever and I run 89 and 91 octane at 14 degrees timing. If you friends are pinging even with a 100 then there is another problem that the car is having. Plus you will need a timing adjuster if you run the juice. Or you can spend alot more and get a chip.
Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
msj484
¯
Member # 1341

hello all.

that is 1 thing that i forgot. i already have chip. as far as gears i hear so many different things. the higher i go will change my accel right. as far as maro's i am already beating stock ss's. but want some thing new now. i am scared to get pullies because of all my the different things in my car. what will control arms do? thankx for your feedback everyone.

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Hrly01Stng:

3.73's are weak nuts gears for a mostly stock 4.6 such as the one this guy has. He needs the 4.10's at least. Don't be affraid of the 4.10's they aren't evenm close to as bad as people say and they will deffinately wake your car up!

Timing adjusters are not a waist of money. Buying the adjuster once is cheaper than paying to have a retune everytime you want to change your timing. The only reason a timing adjuster would cause the car to detinate would be USER ERROR! So you might give you friend the heads up, cause 100 octane on 99% of the 4.6's in existance is rediculous.

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by msj484:
hello all.

as far as maro's i am already beating stock ss's. but want some thing new now. thankx for your feedback everyone.

I take it that you are racing stock first generation camaro's. Cause here on planet earth any LT1 LS1 SS would hand you your ass, (judging from the mods you have listed). Not to mention all the worthless dead weight in sterio equiptemt you got going on there [patriot]

[ August 20, 2003, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Yellow94GT ]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
cegan
¯
Member # 3185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cegan  Ford pictures for cegan    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BBK long tubes, with a complete Bassini cat back system, flowmasters suck and pulley's are a waste of money, you gain a few HP
Posts: 70 | From: Santa Rosa, Union City | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
N2O and a new chip or timing ajuster! I fyou want a NX kit let me know!! [patriot]

P.S. Gears will deffinetly help!!!

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, unless you are at idle a lot, 4.10s will have the engine spinning a bit faster to compensate for the pullies. Just get a red top, deep cycle, gel cell battery for idle times.

As for the intake and cams? Yes they are expensive. They say the cams can be replaced in the car, but I sure wouldn't want to do it. Either way there is a lot of labor involved. The intake isn't too bad, but your throttle body and CAI would have to go as the intake uses a dual bore throttle body.

--------------------

msj484
¯
Member # 1341

how much would a nos kit run. cant i get my chip reburnt? i have not got it burned since it was stock. i am sure that if i took it out now there would be a difference. so if i get 4.10's what would change on the car?
chronicsmokin281
¯
Member # 1649

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chronicsmokin281  Ford pictures for chronicsmokin281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
need to fix speedo if change gears.
Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

quote:
Originally posted by msj484:
how much would a nos kit run. cant i get my chip reburnt? i have not got it burned since it was stock. i am sure that if i took it out now there would be a difference. so if i get 4.10's what would change on the car?

I don't know too much about N2O. There are 2 types of systems (wet or dry). I have heard that one of them, the type that injects it just after the throttle body, (I think thats the dry type), can cause N2O puddles in the intake. If you then have a backfire your plastic GT intake will be trash.

--------------------

chronicsmokin281
¯
Member # 1649

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chronicsmokin281  Ford pictures for chronicsmokin281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
one thing with the nitrous on our intake is that i heard that squeezing 125+ of nos can/will blow the intake! but sometime in the future i'll be havin the "wet" nos setup but also was gonna do the bullit intake swap too!
QWICK46
¯
Member # 1843

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for QWICK46  Ford pictures for QWICK46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mustanggt5091:
N2O and a new chip or timing ajuster! I fyou want a NX kit let me know!! [patriot]

P.S. Gears will deffinetly help!!!

Speaking of N20 for the 4.6, since you're a dealer, whats the deal with NX's NXL kit? Is it available yet & what's included in the kit? I'm asking here rather than PMing you because I think a lot of people with a 4.6 who might check this thread would be interested to know.

Thanks in advance,

--------------------
Michael
'02 GT ~ sold for a Big, Slow Dodge Ram
'03 SV650S
'04 R1100S ~ The daily driver

msj484
¯
Member # 1341

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com