Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How many miles to break in a new engine??? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: How many miles to break in a new engine???
Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
iM JUST ABOUT TO PUT IN MY NEW CHP 347 STROKER MOTOR IN I WAS JUST WONDERING HOW MANY MILES YOU GUYS THINK I SHOULD PUT ON IT. THIS IS A DAILY DRIVER BY THE WAY.

[ July 01, 2003, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Blue Oval ]

--------------------
65 Coupe 306, AFR's
89 Cali. Ed. Saleen "sold"
BAB 89 GT
08 Yamaha R6

Posts: 2345 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
ci$ko
¯
Member # 2425

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ci$ko  Ford pictures for ci$ko    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
drive it really hard aLL the time for the first few 100miles or so..so that way everything breaks in nice and good

--------------------
2000 GT for sale
89 lx burning up slicks at a track near you
91 bottled gt sold :/
72 chevelle

Posts: 1286 | From: valleJo .7o7. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1 FLy5O:
drive it really hard aLL the time for the first few 100miles or so..so that way everything breaks in nice and good

Don't listen to this clown please.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There are many ways to do this, and some of their methods are borderline witch-craft voodoo, but they all generally go something like this

-take it easy at first

-change the oil soon

-have fun

Now people will fill in the details, but I think if you follow Ford's instruction manual, you should be fine.

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yah I always hear this crap about never above 3500 rpms first 500 miles, make sure you vary the rpms, blah blah blah,
I have another friend that swears by a forced 2000 rpm run for 30 minutes, etc. etc.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have always been told to do a 1500-2000 rpm for 10 minutes, then drive it moderetly for the first 100 miles, change the oil, then drive it like you would on any given day, change the oil again at 500 miles, then after 500 drive it like you stole it!

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I got my 331 running, I let it idle @ 1500 rpm 'til the t-stat opened. Shut it off, changed the oil and took it straight to Lake Tahoe. Had some guy in an LS1 that kept pacing me in between Vallejo and Fairfield, so I downshifted into 3rd gear and ran it up to about 6600 rpm with less than 10 miles on it [Big Grin]

Broke it in the same way I drive it and it gave me 52K trouble free miles until the little N.O.S problem on the dyno. At that time there was still nothing wrong with the short block, but I put new bearings and rings in it since it was already out to fix an oil leak

Good Luck
Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
ci$ko
¯
Member # 2425

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ci$ko  Ford pictures for ci$ko    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont call me some fuckin clown..im speakin from what i have done..i did that 3 engines now and they will run harder then anything u got so shut the fuck up.. u dont know me so dont speak on me

--------------------
2000 GT for sale
72 chevelle

FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
dont call me some fuckin clown..im speakin from what i have done..i did that 3 engines now and they will run harder then anything u got so shut the fuck up.. u dont know me so dont speak on me

Why would you drive the shit out of your engines if nothing has seated properly?!?!

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Worst tech info I have read so far.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Norcalbmxer
¯
Member # 235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norcalbmxer  Ford pictures for Norcalbmxer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mustanggt5091:
I have always been told to do a 1500-2000 rpm for 10 minutes, then drive it moderetly for the first 100 miles, change the oil, then drive it like you would on any given day, change the oil again at 500 miles, then after 500 drive it like you stole it!

This is the most precise way to do it.
1500-2000 for 10-20 mins breaks in the cam
changing the oil at 100 cleans the motor of any shavings/deposits left when building, it will also let you know right away if something is wrong.
driving it normally and varing the rpms for the next 500 helps the rings get a good seat.

quote:
Originally posted by 1 FLy5O :

"dont call me some fuckin clown..im speakin from what i have done..i did that 3 engines now and they will run harder then anything u got so shut the fuck up.. u dont know me so dont speak on me"

you right i dont know you. I just read what you typed. but, you have shown that you are completely ignorant when it comes to breaking in a motor. There is no explaination you could possibly give to justify what you suggested people to do. Its called a breakin period for a reason, not a rape-in peroid. Please stick to topics that you do know about and quit giving people here incorrect and possibly harmful information.

[Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
T-tops suck!
Coming Soon - "The baddest BITCH on 4 wheels!!!"
WTB 95+ Gt spindles/Brakes,
"Smoke' Em"

Posts: 952 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :
ci$ko
¯
Member # 2425

your calling me ignorant...ok...well i didnt say get in the car and say drive at 8k the whole time..from all the engines i have broken in (3) i have drove the shit outta them when after i installed them..and when u dog them when they are new they get use to being drivin that ways and break in real nice and quick....but what ever im stupid dont listen to me..

--------------------
2000 GT for sale
72 chevelle

rr_mustang
¯
Member # 888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rr_mustang  Ford pictures for rr_mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mustanggt5091:

i agree, new motor/parts, that's the way i have been told to break it in.
although my 408 was completed on a friday night at 6pm, next morning, 9am at t-hill i was spinning it at 5k and that afternoon at 7-7.5k. but it is a race motor that is freshened every 60 hours or so.

--------------------
Dart 408 w/ AFR 205's

Posts: 473 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
your calling me ignorant...ok...well i didnt say get in the car and say drive at 8k the whole time..from all the engines i have broken in (3) i have drove the shit outta them when after i installed them..and when u dog them when they are new they get use to being drivin that ways and break in real nice and quick....but what ever im stupid dont listen to me..

3 motors on what car(s)

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

ci$ko
¯
Member # 2425

a blown 460, in a f350 383 stroker in a 89 iroc and a 305 bored to 327 in a 76 nova

[ July 01, 2003, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: 1 FLy5O ]

--------------------
2000 GT for sale
72 chevelle

FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
..and when u dog them when they are new they get use to being drivin that ways

[Eek!] [Eek!]

Dude really man, stop.

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

quote:
Originally posted by FordPny:
quote:
..and when u dog them when they are new they get use to being drivin that ways

[Eek!] [Eek!]

Dude really man, stop.

seriously, you dont think motors have a personality do you?

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

outlawd94cobra
SR.CITIZEN
Member # 265

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for outlawd94cobra  Ford pictures for outlawd94cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I always thought that on a new engine that after your first oil change your engine was broke in. Hmmmmmm..... oh well, i've never had a Cobra BRAND NEW anyways. Someone else did the breaking in for me.

--------------------
CRYSTAL WHITE 1994 COBRA; TOTALED
RIO RED 1994 COBRA INDY PACE CAR; SOLD(now in VACAVILLE)
(#18 of 1000)
BLACK 2002 GT Vert' AUTO; GONE!

Posts: 635 | From: Stockton, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A quarter mile at a time. [burnout]

[ July 01, 2003, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Jeff S ]

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thankx guys

--------------------
65 Coupe 306, AFR's
89 Cali. Ed. Saleen "sold"
BAB 89 GT
08 Yamaha R6

Posts: 2345 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
93cobra
¯
Member # 2635

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93cobra  Ford pictures for 93cobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[patriot] [Cool]

--------------------
93foxbody wtb 93 cobra intake

Posts: 673 | From: vacaville,ca | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
your chp motor is a roller motor, you dont need to worry about revving your motor at whatever rpm for 20 minutes to break it in because that procedure is for flat tappet cams. its a ROLLER MOTOR THAT MEANS WITH ROLLER CAM AND ROLLER LIFTERS your cam and lifters dont need that mating period because its ROLLER look at your lifters theirs a bearing or wheel on the tip, if not than sorry [Frown] . what i did to break in my motor was i ran it with a good quality motor oil for the first 5 minutes just to get out all of the assembly lube and what ever little shit that shouldn't be in your motor out. than i shut it off and i changed the oil and filter again, and went for a nice MELLOW drive, (dont forget to fill your oil filter befor you put it on, there is good reason for this) than after about 100 miles or so i changed my oil and filter again of course with a good quality motor oil, than i was good to go for another few hundred miles. Just me, i change my oil every thousand miles or so for the first few thousand, after i do what i explained above, some people think its overkill, some dont, oil changes are only good for your engine any way. it doesn't cost that much to change oil. unless your running full synthetic. hoped i helped. [Smile]
Norcalbmxer
¯
Member # 235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norcalbmxer  Ford pictures for Norcalbmxer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stoauto:
your chp motor is a roller motor, you dont need to worry about revving your motor at whatever rpm for 20 minutes to break it in because that procedure is for flat tappet cams. its a ROLLER MOTOR THAT MEANS WITH ROLLER CAM AND ROLLER LIFTERS your cam and lifters dont need that mating period because its ROLLER look at your lifters theirs a bearing or wheel on the tip, if not than sorry [Frown] . what i did to break in my motor was i ran it with a good quality motor oil for the first 5 minutes just to get out all of the assembly lube and what ever little shit that shouldn't be in your motor out. than i shut it off and i changed the oil and filter again, and went for a nice MELLOW drive, (dont forget to fill your oil filter befor you put it on, there is good reason for this) than after about 100 miles or so i changed my oil and filter again of course with a good quality motor oil, than i was good to go for another few hundred miles. Just me, i change my oil every thousand miles or so for the first few thousand, after i do what i explained above, some people think its overkill, some dont, oil changes are only good for your engine any way. it doesn't cost that much to change oil. unless your running full synthetic. hoped i helped. [Smile]

sorry that is correct, i forgot about the whole roller cam thing.... and good points about the oil, better safe then sorry, and people should not be using synthetic yet at that point anyway

--------------------
T-tops suck!
Coming Soon - "The baddest BITCH on 4 wheels!!!"
WTB 95+ Gt spindles/Brakes,
"Smoke' Em"

Posts: 952 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks [Smile] [Big Grin]
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
a blown 460, in a f350 383 stroker in a 89 iroc and a 305 bored to 327 in a 76 nova

305 bored to a 327? I know absolutely nothing about this so correct me if im wrong, but you gained 22 cubic inches from boring the cylinders?????? Sounds strange to me, I would think that a 327 has a longer stroke than a 305???? Anyone know???????

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com