Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Purpel Tint Removal

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Purpel Tint Removal
FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes my car has tint from kragens from 1980 something, (bought it like that)

anyways how would I go at removing the tint?

its also on the side and front passenger windows.

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UNLUCKIER  Ford pictures for UNLUCKIER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They sell tint remover... I to had the purple tint on my ride also. It took me about 2 hours with a RAZOR and alot of patience to get it off... Good luck!!!!! you can always pay the 50.00 to get it removed, that is what I was quoted if I remember right... [Smile]

--------------------
The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
AND YES THE RAMS FAN

Posts: 1023 | From: ODENTON MD | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldnt mind paying $50 bucks but then id have to pay another 100 to tow it there and back since its engineless [Embarrassed]

so it took you 2 hours with the tint remover?

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

rr_mustang
¯
Member # 888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rr_mustang  Ford pictures for rr_mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
buy a trailer for that heap, put the car on it and take it to California Tint, btw...I know someone who has a nice trailer f/s if you are interested

--------------------
Dart 408 w/ AFR 205's

Posts: 473 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
SLiM JiM 156
¯
Member # 2753

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLiM JiM 156  Ford pictures for SLiM JiM 156    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That tint remover sucks, try this.. Get a bottle of simple green and a razor blade. soak the tint in the simple green then cut a slit in it, then as you peel the tint back spray simple green in the crack as you go, There will be tons of glue left on the window just spray the simple green on there and let it soak and wipe it off. You will have to do this several times but it will finally get off. Also Dont cut the defrosters with the razor or they wont work anymore. good luck man

--------------------
1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Posts: 156 | From: Rohnert Park, CA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
slim jim 156 funny you mention that I just bought a huge ass bottle of simple green to. [worship] [worship]

thanks

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Cobra97
¯
Member # 2809

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobra97  Ford pictures for Cobra97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you can get it down for $50, it is well worth it. I removed the tint from my T-bird when it started to peel, it was a huge pain (removing the tint from the rear window w/o screwing up the defrost is very difficult). After that I learned my lesson, I had the car dealership I bought my cobra from remove the tint; it didn't take them much time to do it and they did a clean job. Good luck if you take the task on yourself, and I hope you have patience.
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pay the 50 bucks and have it done. i dont know if having rear defrost makes it harder to remove window tint with a razor blade, but if it does make a difference, 50 bucks wouldnt be a bad investment

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey allen just rip that nasty ass lowrider purple tint off the tint remo [burnout] val shit works good and the simple green works a little better as for the back window if you have the defroster you better plan for a few hours. see you this weekend bro. Later. Shaun

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

bart92lx
¯
Member # 2799

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bart92lx  Ford pictures for bart92lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've done it once, and that is one job I would not hesitate to pay someone else to do. Real PITA
bart

--------------------
'93 GT

JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, I had to take the tint off of the side windows in my 66 Coupe. It smells horrible, from the glue. But it's not that hard of a job. But I didn't have any obstacles such as defrost lines.

Grab some windex and a razor blade and start scrapin'! [patriot]

Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
N0SL050
¯
Member # 2719

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N0SL050  Ford pictures for N0SL050    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Somebody told me that a heat gun works really well too anybody ever try this method?

--------------------
Kustom Auto Detailing

Posts: 460 | From: Martinez ,Ca | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My buddy took his off in a matter of minutes. Try taking it off yourself before you pay someone to do it for you.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
FordPny
¯
Member # 510

quote:
Originally posted by 88gt:
My buddy took his off in a matter of minutes. Try taking it off yourself before you pay someone to do it for you.

Did he do it the same way everyone is mentioning?

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FordPny:
quote:
Originally posted by 88gt:

Did he do it the same way everyone is mentioning?
He cut it with a razor blade and peeled it off. I'm not sure what he cleaned it with but it didn't sound too hard.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
GTSLN97
¯
Member # 1849

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GTSLN97  Ford pictures for GTSLN97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got my tint taken off in San Leandro for 20 bucks, i'm sure there is some place where you live that will take it off, it looks easy, but im sure its harder to do then it looks.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com