Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Pilot Bearing Puller

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Pilot Bearing Puller
87Back-N-Black
¯
Member # 325

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87Back-N-Black  Ford pictures for 87Back-N-Black    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone have one or know a good way to remove the pilot bearing???

--------------------
"I have The FASTEST "A" Trim Car In The World!"

Posts: 146 | From: Brentwood CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
TOPnotch
¯
Member # 1340

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TOPnotch  Ford pictures for TOPnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah they do have a puller for that. A local tool store or rental place should have it.

--------------------
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgoten!!!

1QWKCHP
1QWKDRP

87Back-N-Black
¯
Member # 325

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87Back-N-Black  Ford pictures for 87Back-N-Black    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
does anyone know of a store like that??? (NOT AUTO ZONE) they have the puller but it needs a slide hammer and of coarse they dont have that

--------------------
"I have The FASTEST "A" Trim Car In The World!"

Posts: 146 | From: Brentwood CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Kragen have a pilot bearing puller...Its not the slide hammer one, and they should have one availible for rent...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used a slide hammer without any luck... I have a number of friends that also tried the slide hammer method only to fail.

The only way that worked for me was to break it up with a hammer and chissel until it collapsed. The metal on the outer lip breaks up rather easily.
Luke

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah it took me about 30 minutes to get mine out with a chissle and hammer pain in the ass. But it can be done with some patience and time.

[ May 14, 2003, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: GR40Coupe ]

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UNLUCKIER  Ford pictures for UNLUCKIER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I to have used the slide hammer method. On Fasterdamnit's car and we had to stick a wedge in the middle to spread it better to get more of a bite... That is the trick to it!!!

--------------------
The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
AND YES THE RAMS FAN

Posts: 1023 | From: ODENTON MD | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont' try harder, try smarter!
pack the inside of the pilot bearing with axle grease or bearing grease and use a punch that fits inside snugly, whack at it (pounding the grease into the center of the bearing) with a hammer and the bearing pops right out

hydraulics...

good luck, hope i expained it clearly enough

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com