Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Will a 99' up 4.6 SOHCengine fit in a 98'

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Will a 99' up 4.6 SOHCengine fit in a 98'
nineeightstang
¯
Member # 2685

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nineeightstang  Ford pictures for nineeightstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was wondering if a 99 and up Mustang GT 4.6 SOHC engine fit into the engine bay of a 98 w/o any modifications. Im not sure because its the same engine but a different body style.
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes. A short cut would be to simply put the '99+ heads/intake/cams on your '98 short block.
nineeightstang
¯
Member # 2685

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nineeightstang  Ford pictures for nineeightstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I need the whole egine replaced. Will the 98' 5-speed tranny fit the 99+?
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, but dont forget about the `99+ "coil-over-plug" ignition and "return-less" style fuel system....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
electronics are completely different, build up the short block u have now and put on some pi heads and 99+intake
u can get the swap kit here

dealing with the returnless system would be a real bitch, ie. different computer

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CustomFastbackCA  Ford pictures for CustomFastbackCA  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your engine will swap right out. No need to change fuel system or electrical system at all. The tranny will fit was well. No difference in computer either. Do the whole swap if you ever plan on using a blower.

--------------------
www.CustomFastbackCA.com

1995 Dinan M3 Avus Blue Metallic
1967 GT Mustang Fastback (Eleanor)

Ask questions if you have'em, anyone who thinks they're too cool, know's it all, or doesn't want to look stupid has more problems than you.

Posts: 346 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
nineeightstang
¯
Member # 2685

Anyone know of some good places where I can get a complete engine in the bay area w/ a warranty on it. How much would a dealer charge for a new engine.
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by nineeightstang:
Anyone know of some good places where I can get a complete engine in the bay area w/ a warranty on it. How much would a dealer charge for a new engine.

were ever you go (dealer)they will only warranty it for about a year.

dealer motor cost = 3000-5000 depending if you have a hook up and its only warrantied for 1 year
junk yard motor = 1000-1500 depending where you go
they come with 90 days warranty

i would just get a junk yard motor and swap it out
it would be the most cost effective
as far as it fitting with no problems, it will
I done 5 swaps (99+ motors to older 4.6l) with no problems you just need to swap your timing chain cover and oil pan over
and every thing else should bolt right up to the motor you will need to use the bolts off the new motor to bolt on the the timing cover couse the bolts are diffrent sizes

also I would recomend you tune it to get the best power out of it couse the computer is tuned to make less power, which the 98 and older 4.6 make

I would not do a head swap
couse its goin to cost you just as much as buying a used motor with 30k on it
and if you have alot of miles on your motor already the bearing might no handle the extra power and you might spin the a bearing or 2
trust me its alot simpler to do a motor swap then it is a head swap

hope this helps

[ April 24, 2003, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: 99gt-UJSTLST ]

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
90 Stang5.0
¯
Member # 2710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90 Stang5.0  Ford pictures for 90 Stang5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[patriot]

--------------------
"Keep Your Friends Close But Keep Your Enemies Closer"

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CustomFastbackCA:
Your engine will swap right out. No need to change fuel system or electrical system at all. The tranny will fit was well. No difference in computer either. Do the whole swap if you ever plan on using a blower.

*(Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic..I want to learn!)
-How are the computers the same?...96-98 are return style fuel system...Arent the `99 returnless fuel system computers totally different?...

-How are the fuel system the same?...You have an extra line goin back to the tank on a return style fuel system, right?....

-What happens when he tries to plug in the wiring harness to each individual coil pack instead of 2 front mounted coil packs?...

I'm sure that just a stock `99+ "long-block" will fit in the place of a 96-98 "long block", but I think that "nineeightstang" wants a complete engine.... [patriot]

--------------------

CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CustomFastbackCA  Ford pictures for CustomFastbackCA  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The only difference in computers is that the 96-98' are tuned differently than the 99', so a chip would help performance, but not necessary (computers are smart, let'em do their job [Wink] ). So anyways with the engine, picture a 98' with return style and coil packs (you're right about the returnless on 99'); they would still be there if he took his motor out and swapped it with a 99' motor; you literally just have to swap it out, they will work. There are no tricks or tough switching techniques, the engines are virtually the same it is just the components that are different. I can get a pick up my setup for you tomorrow if you want, as mine was a 96' and I did a 99' motor swap.

--------------------
www.CustomFastbackCA.com

Ask questions if you have'em, anyone who thinks they're too cool, know's it all, or doesn't want to look stupid has more problems than you.

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

quote:
Originally posted by CustomFastbackCA:

I know you can get a `99+ long block, keep the `99 motor and run the 98 components.(like the 2 front mounted coil packs instead of individual coil packs)...

The way you made it sound is that a `99 COMPLETE engine(coil packs and fuel system) will just switch right in..

The computers are WAY DIFFERENT!!!...I'm positive there is no way a 98 computer would work on a returnless/individual coil pack 99+ engine!!

--------------------

CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

gotcha, ya just the motor.

[ April 25, 2003, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: CustomFastbackCA ]

--------------------
www.CustomFastbackCA.com

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

CustomfastbackCA~Any chance you'll be taking the Vortech off the Saleen?...Maybe we could "run-`em" somtime.. [Big Grin]

lol, the only way I would win is if you took the Vortech off!!! [patriot]

nineeightstang~I hope you got some good info off this post! [Smile]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com