Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » injector sizing question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: injector sizing question
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For a BONE STOCK fox body mustang with 8-9psi, would 24lb injectors work? The car will have an adjustable FPR, a 190 or 255lph fuel pump, but no FMU. Its an automatic, so it will be shifting slightly higher than 5k (6-7psi). I think this fuel system will be fine, but I wanted someone elses opinion. Thanks. [patriot]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
...also, I was thinking about running about 42-44 psi of FP and about 5-6 degrees of timing, just to make sure there will be no problems. Its not my car, so I want to make sure it wont blow up.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have 30s in my car, and am running 7 psi untuned, it seems to work ok, unless u have the 24's already, get some 30's

plus 30's leave room for improvement

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:

plus 30's leave room for improvement

[patriot]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

im not worried about room for improvement right now. If he wants it to be faster later, he can go and get bigger injectors then.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
with out a tune, 24's will either be too rich on bottom or too lean on top, get the 30's and a tune, my car has the 30's runs alright, but really needs a tune

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Well he wont be getting a tune anytime soon. I have a feeling he's going to be out of money for a while. I dont care if its too rich, I would rather it be too rich and lose power then be too lean. Thats why I was thinking about cranking up the FP.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why no FMU? You can get away with the stock injectors and those fuel pumps if you use an FMU. If you're set on not using an FMU, then you'll need 30 lbs injectors.
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

st5150 and i agree on somethin, i will bookmark this page and look at it sometime
(just messin with u swason, afr and trickflow make awesome heads, it should be left at that)

my car runs nicely on 7psi with 30's at 41psi FP and 7 timing on pump gas, still really needs at tune
if ur friend isnt going to use an fmu, he NNNEEEEEEDDDSSS a tune, if he not gonna tune it, just use the fmu, it will run better
put an fmu on it right now, then down the line, do injectors and RACE tune

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

If I can find one, we'll use it. You think we can use stock injectors with 8psi and an FMU?? Seems risky to me. I would think its better to run 24's with no FMU. I would just raise the FP and let it run rich down low. No good??

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

24's will not be enough for 8 psi safely
and the car will be a pain in the ass in traffic becuase of it being so rich, but what u end up doing is up to u, i vote for the 30's and spend the extra 400 for the tune

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

maybe we'll go with 24's with the FMU. That sounds like the most reasonable plan for now.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

make sure u have an fmu calibrated for 24's not 19's that would make the car run amazingly rich if not corrected

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have 30lb injectors for 120 only 5k on them
Albert

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To run the stock injectors and a FMU, you'll need to run some pretty high fuel pressure levels, something in the mid 70 psi range. It can be done and has been done countless times, but like stated above, 30lbs injectors are the way to go. If you're getting aftermarket heads down the line, you might as well get 42 lbs injectors and a chip right now so you don't have to worry about changing injectors & MAF down the line.
BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am running the fms 36 lb injectors with 14psi and no fmu and have had no problems. The 24s sound a little small with no fmu unless you run excesive fuel pressure. for the psi you stated id go with a 255lph intank with 30s

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

90lxa-trim
Member # 2726

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90lxa-trim  Ford pictures for 90lxa-trim    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
24's are fine, just use a FMU and an adjustable fuel pressure reg. I'm running 30's no fuel reg but a fmu set up for 30's.. I will be switching to 50-55's pretty soon though. going to a t-trim.

--------------------
1990 silver lx. 306 stock block,rods,crank. 8.30cr. TFS heads,TFS R intake. Vortech a-trim w/8psi. 1 5/8 coated headers,H-pipe w/cats. Tremec 3550 with 3.73 gears and posi rebuilt. All mods done by owner

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com