Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Changing my Injectors???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Changing my Injectors???
hopdup95
¯
Member # 2381

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopdup95  Ford pictures for hopdup95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone know how long it takes to change the injectors on a 95??? i was hoping to do it in around an hour to make it out to the track tonight. Is it possible??? Also what should be my approx. fuel pressure with edelbrock heads, an e-cam, gt-40, cold air, 75mm pro m, and 30lbers??? Should the timing be bumped up at all??? Thanks.

[ April 23, 2003, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: hopdup95 ]

Posts: 486 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you gotta take the upper intake off and then there are like 4 or so little bolts that hold the fuel rail to the bottom of the intake unbolt those and the fuel rail lifts off, then install the new injectors... [patriot]

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

hopdup95
¯
Member # 2381

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopdup95  Ford pictures for hopdup95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool so it shouldn't take too long timewise. DO you happen to know about the timing or the fuel pressure??? Thanks man.
4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hopdup95:
Cool so it shouldn't take too long timewise. DO you happen to know about the timing or the fuel pressure??? Thanks man.

you could bump up the timing like a degree or so,. i doubt that you will notice anyting at all though... [patriot]

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you pulled the upper before? If not, plan on at least a few hours. It can be a pain sometimes.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
hopdup95
¯
Member # 2381

No, i've never pulled the upper but all the bolts are right on top. The biggest thing i'm worried about is making sure they're torqued right when i put it back together. Also I've got two spacers in between my upper and lower (i know its bad but i have to have them) should I put some liquid gasket sealer in between them???
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont know why you would need sealer. The gaskets should be fine. I dont know about the SN95 intakes, but the fox bodies have 6 bolts to pull the upper, and the ones on the back are a pain.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

oh yeah, torque them to about 22ft/lbs

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

hopdup95
¯
Member # 2381

Cool thanks for the info, my intake is a good 4 inches from the firewall so I am not to worried about it. I was wondering about the gasket sealer because it backfires through the intake sometimes when i stomp on it and its cold. I figured the spacers just didn't seal well together because they're just cork. Anyways thanks a lot.
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Cool thanks for the info, my intake is a good 4 inches from the firewall so I am not to worried about it. I was wondering about the gasket sealer because it backfires through the intake
sometimes when i stomp on it and its cold. I figured the spacers just didn't seal well together because they're just cork. Anyways thanks a lot.

For your info, it backfires through the intake becuase of bad timming....

If you have a GT40 intake spacer it should have 2 gaskets on either side of the spacer...Upper to lower intake gaskets do not need a sealer...I have never heard of cork upper to lower intake gaskets!!..Fuel eats up cork!!

Fuel pressure: I would start at 40psi and try going leaner...30lb injectors seem pretty big for just heads and cam...

Timming: I would start with 12* and leave it at that while you tune your fuel pressure...

By the way I'm sure you know you have to re-calibrate the MAF to new injectors, right?

[ April 23, 2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
hopdup95
¯
Member # 2381

Yeah i know I need a different MAF as well. I was told by the guy at Pro M that 24lbers would be about the limit for what I have because I've got too much air and not enough gas. He said that 30's would leave room for improvement so that's cool. He also said to bump up the timing to 19*. I'm not sure where he got his number or who's is right.

I know that fuel eats cork but the spacers look like cork, maybe they're not though. Either way there's two spacers there that don't seem to seal right. Also I know my balancer is off so they can't check the timing with a gun. They did it as close as possible with a computer but I don't know how correct it is. Thanks for your input.

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

19* of base timing seems like a shitload [patriot]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Also I know my balancer is off so they can't check the timing with a gun. They did it as close as possible with a computer but I don't know how correct it is. Thanks for your input.

DUDE!, YOUR BALANCER IS ABOUT TO FALL OFF!!...There is only one way to put on a harmonic balancer, it has a keyway.....The outside of the balancer is held on by a rubber seal. [Roll Eyes] ...Sometimes(a lot on 94-95's) the seal goes bad and your balancer goes flying off!!!!...I know it happened to me [Frown]

CHECK YOUR BALANCER!

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
hopdup95
¯
Member # 2381

Yeah i know 19* seems like a lot. That's what the dude said. I'll ask around some more though before I do it.

I'll take a look at the balancer, but if it is off its been off for at least two or three weeks. Would it have flown off by now if it were going to???

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

heres a peice of advice... DONT DO IT!! Try about 12-14 so be safe, especially since the weather is warming up.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry its time to hi jack this post... do you have to pull the intake on a 4.6 when changing the injectors?

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

I dont know, and you would probably get a better response if you just started your own thread. [patriot]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

90 Stang5.0
¯
Member # 2710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90 Stang5.0  Ford pictures for 90 Stang5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[patriot]

--------------------
"Keep Your Friends Close But Keep Your Enemies Closer"

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com