Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Torque Boxes??? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Torque Boxes???
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am welding up my torque boxes this weekend, hopefully, the battle boxes arent here yet and they are supposed to be! Anyways do I need to weld them up with the tires on the ground or off, does it matter? what is the best way? Does there need to be a load I guess thats what Im asking on the control arms and torque boxes? Any help? [Confused]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's a good question.
I had to weld one of mine last week when I discovered it was torn pretty bad. We welded it on a lift ans it doesn't seem to have any problems

Good Luck
Brian

[ April 22, 2003, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: TheBrain ]

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
man jeff, u posted that quick
remember brian about me doin favors, this is one i am doin, weldin, ah, i can taste the 6 pack already [Big Grin]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Welding mine up with rear tires in the air, doest seem to be having any problems yet. But we have been welding on our backs, you bastards are welding on a rack!! You suck! [Big Grin]

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its better to weld the torque boxes with the vehicle weight on the tires.....That way when the car is lowered back down after welding, it sits exactly how it was when you welded the torque boxes-(no added stress)...When the car is on jackstands it can be different to how it sits on the tires due to body flex and inconsitant spring rates...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
good, that is what i was thinkin too black94, guess i am gonna have to clear off two lifts for my friend "cough"bastard"cough" [Razz]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In talking with M&M and Maier racing they say to remove the links and stich weld the boxes in place. Do not try to run long welds and if yours are not torn apart just skip weld them, do not weld solid. This is how I did mine but it has not hit the garage floor yet [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

thanks for the info, i am welding battle boxes in too so we will see what happens

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mine arent torn apart but I am welding in battle boxes on the lower for now!Uppers someday! Why wouldnt you do a solid bead? [Confused]

--------------------

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mustanggt5091:
Mine arent torn apart but I am welding in battle boxes on the lower for now!Uppers someday! Why wouldnt you do a solid bead? [Confused]

Think about it, as it starts to rip (if say it does someday) once the solid bead starts to rip it will continue too until it hits the end of that bead. However if they are just small spots welded if one starts to rip it will tear and then (hopefully) when the stress hits the start of the next bead it will hold it. Think of binder paper, if it's the spiral kind every little hold catchs and makes you pull harder to rip it out: But with normal paper once it rips it comes right now all the way no problem.

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
KC hit it on the mark! What you want are 3/4" welds with a 3/4" space between them.

Now to start a new question. If you are not torn out why would you put in battle boxes? Every one I have talked to says you don't need them if the box is in good shape. What tears out the boxes is doing donuts not launches at the strip. My car was in good shape and all I did was the stitch welding and I can fab up any thing I need when it comes to bracing and reinforcement but it is just not needed. With battle boxes don't you now have to trim down the bushings on your arms?

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

good analogy KC(casey), i knew what rock was talkin about but u really made a good one there, i was gonna post somethin like that to explain it but urs worked much better

just read rocks post-he is gonna be launching on slicks with about 600rwhp on nitrous, it might be needed with that kind of power

[ April 23, 2003, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: 66 AC COBRA ]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rokcrln:
With battle boxes don't you now have to trim down the bushings on your arms?

[Confused] good question, i would like to know as well...
Posts: 5364 | From: Shooting Skeet | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UNLUCKIER  Ford pictures for UNLUCKIER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Where did you get your battle boxes from??? I also understand there are some plates that you can allso bolt in there Where can i get these as well???

--------------------
The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
AND YES THE RAMS FAN

Posts: 1023 | From: ODENTON MD | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
What tears out the boxes is doing donuts not launches at the strip.

I would have to STRONGLY dis-agree with that one

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got them from UPR for 89 bucks! They are bolt in or weld in!Makes sense about the welds, 66 AC CObra is doing them anyway so as long as he understands its all good. And I am putting them in to prevent anything from happening with slicks and hopefully, shit loads of power from my new 351w setup and N2O!

--------------------

UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UNLUCKIER  Ford pictures for UNLUCKIER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey is there anyway you can measure those things for me and let me know the specifications on them!! I have access to some 1/8" thick alluminum!!!! I think I will save myself some money and make them myself....

--------------------
AND YES THE RAMS FAN

UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

Never mind I found blue prints here!!!
http://www.netsnapshot.com/pcw/buildalbum-cgi?ACCOUNT=3391&KEY=2

--------------------
AND YES THE RAMS FAN

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
quote:
What tears out the boxes is doing donuts not launches at the strip.

I would have to STRONGLY dis-agree with that one
i agree with hidnn.o.s.
where did u get ur info from?either way u look at it it is basically thick sheet metal and it does rip under stress.trust me ive seen it.u want to weld them up before they even have problems so u dont have to reshape ur shit back into place

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by 4.6 EATIN GM'S:
where did u get ur info from?either way u look at it it is basically thick sheet metal and it does rip under stress.trust me ive seen it.u want to weld them up before they even have problems so u dont have to reshape ur shit back into place

AMEN!! [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------

AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Hey is there anyway you can measure those things for me and let me know the specifications on them!! I have access to some 1/8" thick alluminum!!!! I think I will save myself some money and make them myself....

You do know that you can't weld steel and aluminum right?

--------------------
College student and U.S. Marine; The possibilities are endless...

Mustangs aren't built; they're born!

Posts: 844 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
KC hit it on the mark! What you want are 3/4" welds with a 3/4" space between them.

HOLY SHIT! [Eek!] [Eek!] I don't know shit about welding that just sounded like it made sense to me.

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

I did not meen to put aluminum its actually 4130 acft steel alloy.. Nice catch!!!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
AND YES THE RAMS FAN

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
man jeff, u posted that quick
remember brian about me doin favors, this is one i am doin, weldin, ah, i can taste the 6 pack already [Big Grin]

GUINNESS!
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

No prob on the six pack, what kind? And only after you weld everything in! [Big Grin] DOnt want any mistakes now [Wink] !

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com