Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Best Head/Cam/Intake Setup??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Head/Cam/Intake Setup??
SlowFiveOh94
¯
Member # 2404

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowFiveOh94  Ford pictures for SlowFiveOh94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just curious what the best set up there is without breaking the bank? Maybe like $2000-2500 for all 3. Is there a kit like the Holley Systemax or somethin that is good? It needs to be smog legal, but other than that I'm not too picky.

--------------------
2001 Mustang GT (Faleen Speedster)

Posts: 1184 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
BlackDrop50
¯
Member # 1715

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackDrop50  Ford pictures for BlackDrop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Trickflow

Twisted Wedge Heads - $1,000

Stage 1 Cam - $200

Street Heat Intake - $400

Add in Tax and it's around $2,000

If you want some more power, throw in a supercharger. SHOULD be smog legal, unless that new testing is more strict.....

Posts: 1379 | From: 510 East Bay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlackDrop50:
Trickflow

Stage 1 Cam - $139

If you want some more power, throw in a supercharger. SHOULD be smog legal, unless that new testing is more strict.....

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FasterDamnit:
quote:
Trickflow

Stage 1 Cam - $139

Oh boy, why do I have the feeling this is going to turn ugly with the word AFR is mentioned by someone who thinks they were made by god himself... [Roll Eyes]

[ April 21, 2003, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: KCmustangboy ]

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FasterDamnit:
quote:
Trickflow

Stage 1 Cam - $139

No tax with Summit. add a timing change, and rockers, and lifters and injectors, and mass air, and throttle body + spacer and gaskets and a fuel pump and you got about $3,200 worth of shit to build yourself a reliable 300rwhp.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 12 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If that is your budget All TFS, you can price match all that stuff through summit, find the cheapest price in a 5.0 mag, and call up summit. they will meet that price, and shipping is free, but you have to pay a handling charge which is $8. Then when you start buying the gaskets and bolts, that is where money starts dissapearing. Try to find the rest of the stuff used though, like the TB, RR, Injectors, Air Meter(I have a C&L 73mm for sale),

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
1BAD2V
Screwed and Sprayed
Member # 2495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1BAD2V  Ford pictures for 1BAD2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SlowFiveOh94:
Just curious what the best set up there is without breaking the bank? Maybe like $2000-2500 for all 3. Is there a kit like the Holley Systemax or somethin that is good? It needs to be smog legal, but other than that I'm not too picky.

just wondering if someone would have a similar configuration for a 4.6L (98GT), i don't want to go to supercharger yet.

--------------------
01 MG GT
Some mods

Posts: 552 | From: Los Angeles,CA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Stalion98GT:
quote:
Originally posted by SlowFiveOh94:

just wondering if someone would have a similar configuration for a 4.6L (98GT), i don't want to go to supercharger yet.
the only heads you can go with is PI heads
wich woudl run you like 1000-1500
with all the parts need to do the swap

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I like what Shade Tree said except I'd go with the Track heat Manifold instead of the street heat. there are still tons of things you'll need with this to make the car run right, probably the cheapest you are looking at in a bundle is $3000 but most likely closer to $4000. However I would also tell you to be different. Lots of people have a trick flow set up and don't get me wrong it is a very proven setup but not exactly the most unique. Right now I would go with the new Edelbrock RPM II Manifold some AFR 185's and a custom cam. Make sure you port everything and don't go cheap just do it right the first time. You don't want to be disappointed. If cheap is your thing though just go with the Holley kit but besides the manifold the rest of that kit is pretty weak. [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've seen dyno's of stock compression AFR 165's making more power than 185's on a 302 with a decent intake (performer rpm), just throwing that out there. If your motor doesn't have the cubes or can't support the revs, the 165's may just make more power than the 185's. Sometimes less is more...

now make that a 10.5:1 setup in a 306 with a cam and intake that can rev and the 185's are probably much better.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

The Rick
¯
Member # 327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rick  Ford pictures for The Rick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
After going through this 4 months ago, I don't believe in the "2k hci" package anymore because you really end up buying a ton of little shit...

bolts, gaskets, valve covers, injectors etc led up close to 800$ for my swap setup and I didn't go very extreme. I'm sure you could find some of these used though and save money but I didn't want to deal with one bad used part and end up eating any savings and then some.

I would budget closer to 3500$ if you want new stuff and that is still not getting a ton of stuff like exhaust. Its expensive man and a PITA.

If I could do it all over...I'd probably just buy a blower and say fuck it. [Razz] However, it does sound badass [worship]

--------------------
90GT: h/c/i
05 wrx

Posts: 868 | From: plumas lake (sacramento area) | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
SlowFiveOh94
¯
Member # 2404

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowFiveOh94  Ford pictures for SlowFiveOh94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The blower route is cool and all, but I dont think I could afford one and all the goodies, and I think that for the money I'd be spending on a blower I could have the H/C/I and a 100 shot which would put me ahead of a charged 5.0. Arent blowers also a lot less reliable on the engine? As you guys can probably tell by now I dont know much about cars. Would it be safe to put on a blower AND nitrous? Or is that gettin too extreme? I'm looking to make this only a weekend driver or like a show car.

--------------------
2001 Mustang GT (Faleen Speedster)

Posts: 1184 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
JMO...

In a heavy car like the SN95's I'd opt for more torque then upper RPM HP. In which case the H/C/I setup with N2O would be my choice. But I'd save up enough to begin with & get the good stuff. Not the typical 300 flywheel HP combo.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go with the tfs twisted wedge heads a crower 2031 cam with the holley systemax intake and 24lb injectors if cash allows get the intake extrudehoned. This combination works best with a light car and 4.10s

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com