Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Will one brand of fuel prevent detonation better than another?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Will one brand of fuel prevent detonation better than another?
QWICK46
¯
Member # 1843

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for QWICK46  Ford pictures for QWICK46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi all,

Last night I posted about troubles with my car after a Timing Adjuster installation. This morning, after thinking about it, I reset the computer, and that seemed to help my issues. Then, I started playing with the timing, reseting the computer after each ajustment.

My problem now, is even with conservative timing adjustments I'm getting a little detonation at WOT. At the moment, I don't hear it until I reach 3rd gear, and after a little experimentation this morning, I've settled on 13*, for now. As long as I don't lay into it, I don't hear any pinging.

My question is in the threads topic: What I really want to know is, can anyone make a call on what brand of fuel is superior to the others when it comes to detonation. Up to now, I've been running 91 octane ARCO. I realize it's a cheaper brand, but the car has run great on it up to now.

My only other engine mods are Steeda's pulleys and a C&L 85mm MAF with their Trueflow pipe.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

--------------------
Michael
'02 GT ~ sold for a Big, Slow Dodge Ram
'03 SV650S
'04 R1100S ~ The daily driver

saleen00925
¯
Member # 1302

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for saleen00925  Ford pictures for saleen00925  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
all gas is the same, people don't believe me but it's true. they all ship their gas through the same pipelines, they put in a barrel in texas and can take out a barrel in california that probably wasn't theres to begin with. THE ONLY THING THAT IS DIFFERENT IS THE ADDIDTIVES that are put on right before they head to the pump stations which may include some kind of octane booster that may help, but basically they are ALL THE SAME!

--------------------
-Adam Cate
00' Saleen #00-925
3.55 Factory gears, 80mm MAF
13.7 @102mph
2 12" MTX 7000's pushin 1000W
[IMG]http://www.saleen00925.com/images/saleens3small.jpg[/IMG]
Saleen00925.com

Posts: 244 | From: Sacramento CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well, when i get gas from some stations, my car runs like shit, from other stations, it runs great...

some gas has MTBE (methyl t-butyl alcohol) which is bad for our drinking water, other gas has methanol in it (76).

you can really tell a difference here in california since the 91 octane crap they sell is borderline for my supercharged cobra...

i seem to always keep a bit of race gas in the tank for safety's sake.

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All Gas Is not the same. It might come all in the same barrells, but the companies re-fine there gas differents ways and take different steps. All the steps all lead to making Gas but there is a purity issue in the differant ways of Re-fining the oil. 76, texaco, and other fuel companies all have there own Refineries, you can go to LA and see all the different ones. 76 as of now is the best gas out there, arco is somewhat low on the scale. Don't think I made this shit up either, my Uncle has worked at the 76 Re-finiery in Lomita(so-cal) for over 35 years now and thats what he has told me about it in the past.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Double post

[ March 16, 2003, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: 98slowhoe ]

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used to have an old Chevy 350 work truck that would detonate on everything except Chevron!?!!!...

My boss at the time told me that his truck only runs on Chevron..I was out of my way in San Jose and decided to pick up another brand of gas(thinkin all gas was the same), When my boss used the truck the next day he asked me what brand of gas I used becuase the truck was "pinging".!!!?!!..My old boss and other co-workers proved that the truck would only run on Chevron to me many times...

Basically, if your trying to tune your car you should change as few variables as possible, like different gas, that way you'll know its not the gas or its something else next time..Keep in mind even if your running your car at night vs. 12o'clock noon your car will run differently because of the air temp and humidity etc...

I run Chevron 91... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If all gas isn't the same check this out. My dad is a truck driver for Mother's cookies and there was a fill up station for all the tanker trucks right across from the old Mother's depot. I used to sit there and watch all different tanker trucks fill up from the same tank. [Eek!] 76, Chevron, Shell, Citgo, Arco, Exxon, and so on. It was amazing. They all advertise these adds that they put "Techron" or "pro-power" in their gas. [Roll Eyes] I don't know. I saw all these tankers fill up with the same stuff from the same whose even with my very own eyes. Unless these supposed additives are put in the tanks at the gas station after the 87 or 89 or 91 or what have you is put into the tanks at the station. But I don't think so. If that's not the case, then all gas IS the same. I swear to god, I was shocked when I found this out too. Now I just laugh cause I know the truth. [Big Grin]
It's all about who has the better marketing [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
griffined
¯
Member # 1330

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for griffined  Ford pictures for griffined  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Based on some other message boards, some of the station brand specific additives are added to the tanker trucks at the distribution terminal, and are slosh mixed on the way to the stations. The same truck could return later in the day empty of gas, fill up, and have different or no additives added before going to other stations.

[ March 16, 2003, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: griffined ]

--------------------
2001 Cobra Vert #678 of 3384
269 SAE rwhp 279 Tq stock
2000 Cobra R #154 of 300
395 SAE rwhp 398 Tq
1986 Mustang SVO daily driver

Posts: 207 | From: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: May 2002  |  :
eddiej50
¯
Member # 1169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eddiej50  Ford pictures for eddiej50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you think all gas is the same ,try this test take a sample of chevron Gas and compare to one of the off brands like Arco and tell me which one is clearer and which has a bunch of setiment floating down at the bottom of the container .I guratee you the chevron will be much clearer and cleaner .I know this because I have several friends who work at the refineries in richmond .Yes some companies to buy there gas from the same refineries but each refinery is not the same .

--------------------
You might be bigger than me ,but I aint afraid to run from you .

99 Gt

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Some of you guys kill me wheny ou say some tankers fill one station then go acrosss the street to another station and fill up their tanks.

Does anyone realize that there are chambers and baffles in a tanker truck??

--------------------
Support our troops!

Jerm95gt
Diapers
Member # 1239

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerm95gt  Ford pictures for Jerm95gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98slowhoe:
All Gas Is not the same. It might come all in the same barrells, but the companies re-fine there gas differents ways and take different steps. All the steps all lead to making Gas but there is a purity issue in the differant ways of Re-fining the oil. 76, texaco, and other fuel companies all have there own Refineries, you can go to LA and see all the different ones. 76 as of now is the best gas out there, arco is somewhat low on the scale. Don't think I made this shit up either, my Uncle has worked at the 76 Re-finiery in Lomita(so-cal) for over 35 years now and thats what he has told me about it in the past.

werd

--------------------
I miss you StoplightWarrior :(

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Best way to go about it is find out for your self. I went from Arco's 87 octane to (76's) 91 octane. I myself noticed a difference. So that is what I usually choose to pump based on experience.

For the most part I hear that you're suppose to pump the lowest octane you can without noticing any pinging or sacrificing any performance. I'm still switching all the time between octanes to see a difference. I have yet to try octane boosters, anyone have anything to say about those???

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87 Saleen:
Best way to go about it is find out for your self. I went from Arco's 87 octane to (76's) 91 octane. I myself noticed a difference. So that is what I usually choose to pump based on experience.

For the most part I hear that you're suppose to pump the lowest octane you can without noticing any pinging or sacrificing any performance. I'm still switching all the time between octanes to see a difference. I have yet to try octane boosters, anyone have anything to say about those???

I use premium 91 octane from 76 and the best differnce I notice is every 3000 miles when I throw some fuel injector cleaner through it.
[Smile]

--------------------
Support our troops!

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i notice my gas mileage turns to shit when i use 91 octance arco. i normally run 89 chevron or 76. i think arco just sucks ass, i been running no name gas from small gas stations lately and i dont notice anything.

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Jerm95gt
Diapers
Member # 1239

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerm95gt  Ford pictures for Jerm95gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree with hiipo. I use to use arco all the time and my car ran fine but i switched to chevron and noticed a huge increase with gas mileage. Since then i always use Chevron. Every once and a while when the local chevron is locked up i go to arco and my gas mileage suffers as a result.

--------------------
I miss you StoplightWarrior :(

S281 01-570
¯
Member # 1451

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S281 01-570  Ford pictures for S281 01-570  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used to think all gas was the same until I started riding V-twins. With four cylinder performance bikes you could not tell any difference between brands, but with twins (750 Suzuki Intruder, 1100 Yamaha Virago and FXRS Low-Rider) the difference between fuels was very obvious. Cheap gas and even Union 76 had all three bikes missing and pinging before I got 5 miles from the station. This was always running Premium. Chevron was the best gas I got, followed by Texaco and Shell. Anything else and the bikes ran like crap. An extra 6 cylinders helps to mask the missing and knocking but bottom line is tune from Chevron, Texaco or Shell and it won't get any better. And I too still, even using the better fuels, run fuel injector cleaner about once a month.
QWICK46
¯
Member # 1843

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for QWICK46  Ford pictures for QWICK46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just an update:

Yesterday, with the low fuel light on I pulled into Chevron, and after leaving the station, took the car up to redline in 1st, 2nd & 3rd and didn't hear a hint of a ping. I am now a beleiver, not all gas is the same, and this weekend I'll see how the car does at 15*. [Whoo Whooooo!]

[worship] Chevron

RO2USH
¯
Member # 2002

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RO2USH  Ford pictures for RO2USH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Chevron has always been number ONE in my book, however I used to work at a 76 station in LA as a pump jockey, and I used to talk to the drivers every once in a while. They said that yeah there are definately differences, but if you want good cheap gas go up to the gas station in the middle of no where, and buy from them, that is if you normally use the 87 octane, don't do it if you want only premium. He said that usually by the time they got up there the 87 was usually mixed in with a little bit of 91 so you were basically getting 89 octane at 87 prices. Just a tid bit of info, I don't know if it was true or not, that's just what the drivers said.

--------------------
2002 Roush FR500
2004 Cobra
1965 GT 350 Clone
2003 Ducati 999

Posts: 286 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Let me just throw this out there. The quality of gas is also affected by age. If you go to a well used station (lots of people) chances are you will be getting "fresher" gas as compared to an identical station brand out on 5 somewhere where customers are few...just something to think about... [Cool]

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2011 Porsche 911 TurboS/AWD
2014 GSXR750
2002 GSXR750 Track Beater Bike
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
JdubO7
¯
Member # 1973

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JdubO7  Ford pictures for JdubO7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I personally feel there is a difference. I was putting 89 chevron in my mustang when I first got it and it ran just fine. Adjusted the timing and got a the famous ping ping ping, put in 91 cheveron to compensate for the timing and car ran better than ever. I'm sold on 91, cost more $$ so just invest in a beeeeeter car.

--------------------
Dynomax Mufflers/Headers/Pullies
65mm TB/76mm MAF System w/K&N
Hurst Short Shift/MSD Ignition
Electric Fan/3 Core Radiator
Ford 3.55's

Waiting in living room for install:
King Cobra Cluth

Looking for deals on:
Pony Rims w/tires
130 - 200 amp alt.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com