Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Will a 01 Cobra motor fit my 96 Cobra?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Will a 01 Cobra motor fit my 96 Cobra?
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have serious question to ask. I know the motor of an 01 is the same as a 96 expect for it has 15 more HP cause of the intake system. But what else do I need to know if Im gonna drop in an 01 in my 96? [Confused] Will I need to change the computer? Wiring harness? What else before I buy it this week? [patriot]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team
-96 Cobra. HCI MOTORSPORTS block
-More cops in the family = more write-offs
508 RWHP @10.0lbs @6100 RPM..wait till I hit 8K RPM's

Posts: 315 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also this motor is hot? Is there any way in the future that I might have problems with this?

--------------------
RPM Racing Team

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Most likely you won't care but Ford is releasing a 5.0 modular cobra motor sometime this year that comes with a computer and a wiring harness. Just thought you might want to wait for that, sounds like that engine should be a beast. [worship]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Do you know when that one comes out? And how much that one will cost me? Or a place were I can get more info on that?

--------------------
RPM Racing Team

TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It should it, but I think the wiring might be different. The 99 up cars have a return-less fuel system.
When it is time to smog your car, you might have trouble because the VIN's wont match.
Have you thought about buying a used S-trim for your car?
Seems you will get more power and less trouble [Wink]

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Used S-trim? Dont know what you mean?

--------------------
RPM Racing Team

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by J's 4AXLR8N:

vortech supercharger...
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by J's 4AXLR8N:

Vortech supercharger's, http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

ohh ya.....now i know what you mean. But my motor is blown. So I have no use for supercharger w/no motor. SOme guy is gonna sell me an 01 Cobra motor, but i before i buy it i need to know what problems will i face.

--------------------
RPM Racing Team

THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

TRY2PAZ: With the 99+ motor how will I be able to fix the return less fuel problem? Will APEX be a place where they can fix that or something? I want to call a FORD tech, but they are all closed today, anyone know of a FORD Tech online?

--------------------
RPM Racing Team

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when you mean the motor is hot what exactly do you mean? Stolen??? Not to be a dick or anything, but if this motor is stolen, that means you are helping thieves out buy purchasing it from them. My car was stolen awhile back, and if anything you should report where this motor is coming from to help crack down on thieves.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Motor isnt really stolen. Its still new, O miles on it. Its just an extra order from a dealer, means FORD cant know about it. its still in bubble wrap and all. Plus for the price on it, you cant really beat it. Cause FORD said they want 4500.00 for a long block....rebuilt. This other price is half of that, so I cant miss and not take up this oppurtunity.

--------------------
RPM Racing Team

Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well if you use the 01 longblock with your 96 intake manifold I dont think it will be a problem. The April issue of MM&FF has an article on the changes on the DOHC motor, I think the '01 will work.

--------------------
1965 Mustang Coupe
EFI, 302ci, T-5, 3.70's.
Click for My Mustang Pics

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Thanks Jimbo. Ya, I was trying to see if I have any old magazines that show a swap of motors or something. But the guy that is selling me the motor says I will need a new wire harness. But im wondering , just in case, what else might I need. Cause TRY2PAZ says the return fuel system is different. Am I gonna lose HP cause of that and can I fix that prob?

--------------------
RPM Racing Team

Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just remebered it is the March issue of MM&FF that has the swap stuff on the DOHC motors. Did the DOHC motors switch to coil on plug in '99 as well? That might be the reason for the new wiring harness. I'm pretty sure you '96 stuff will go on the 01 longblock. Try to consult that magazine article though.

[ March 02, 2003, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Jimbo ]

--------------------
1965 Mustang Coupe
EFI, 302ci, T-5, 3.70's.
Click for My Mustang Pics

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
7.3L White Whale
¯
Member # 1848

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7.3L White Whale  Ford pictures for 7.3L White Whale    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get an 03 motor. thatd be a nice swap

--------------------
444 cubic inches and a 105mm turbo.

2001 gt.... sold

02 wrx... shits in the works

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SlowAss01:
get an 03 motor. thatd be a nice swap

not for 12 grand [BS flag]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for -NORCALCOBRA-  Ford pictures for -NORCALCOBRA-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WHAT DID YOU BLOW UP ON YOUR 97 MOTOR AND WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH IT I BLEW MINE ALSO
LET ME KNOW IF YOU FIND ANY MORE COBRA MOTORS.
OR IF YOU WANNA SCRAP YOURS OUT.

THINKING OF A SEAN HYLAND...

--------------------
H.C.I 285 ci. ported 2003 heads heads, Sullivan Intake, stage 3 cams..T-76 single turbo to come...
R.M.I cylinder head fabrication
408 986 8626

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes IT WILL
[Big Grin]

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I saw a web site called www.cobrapoweredgt.com that talked about swapping 01 cobra crate motors into all kinds of mustangs.

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

I blew a rod and I have no combustion, thats what 2 mechanics said. So now its just sitting at home waiting for a motor to take its place. But I still dont know what to do. Either get another crate motor or get a short block and port out my heads. Either way I want more HP then its stock HP. I have 5,000.00 to play with. And I cant go over 5g's cause its a loan. [patriot]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com