Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » For thoes of you who like nitrous........! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: For thoes of you who like nitrous........!
Copello
¯
Member # 1534

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Copello  Ford pictures for Copello    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As for thoes who think nitrous is the greatest, a 94 cobra with 100k miles that had a 50 shot run on it by the previous owner could not hold up against normal daily driving due to a crankshaft that broke in half....oh yess it still ran, I like to call it crank knock.....multiply a rod knock by 10 and thats what that crank knock sounds like! [Eek!]

--------------------
91 GT
73 RS Camaro

Posts: 1309 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol
yeah, NITROUS IS THE DEVIL!!! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
shit happens. [rocky & bullwinkle] watch me spray a 175 shot on my stock bottom end soon [/rocky & bullwinkle]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for customN2O  Ford pictures for customN2O  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You guys make me laugh. Cause it had nitrous on it, that was the cause. When there is a problem on a motor that is nitrous related, it means someone did something wrong. Whether it be the tuneup, or whatever. I have run many many sbc with over 125000 miles on them, with 200 shot of nitrous, and never had a problem....Shit happens, dont blame it on nitrous

--------------------
[img]http://www.zimmermanmotorsports.com/zimban2.gif[/img]

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ouch. Was the balancer fine? Did it detonate on the bottle?
4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by customN2O:
You guys make me laugh. Cause it had nitrous on it, that was the cause. When there is a problem on a motor that is nitrous related, it means someone did something wrong. Whether it be the tuneup, or whatever. I have run many many sbc with over 125000 miles on them, with 200 shot of nitrous, and never had a problem....Shit happens, dont blame it on nitrous

did anyone read the latest edition of chevy high performance.... of course not cause your all ford only idiots... they take a STOCK 350 from a junkyard, put new head gaskets on it, and a small cam and they jug it on a 325 and it makes 599 hp then it blows on the 420 shot... but only cause they purged it into the motor below 2500 rpm... my old 383 had a stock crank in it and a 250 shot only cracked the crank in 3 places, they were small hairline fractures in the crank and i didnt even know it hada ny problems until i decided to rebuild it for the hell of it.... moral of the story ...... N2O is good, if you think other wise then you have never used it before and have only heard from people whom havent either..... grow some balls and buy some nitrous.......

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

mustangcam302
¯
Member # 2315

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustangcam302  Ford pictures for mustangcam302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[worship] to the above mentioned post, AMEN!!
Posts: 163 | From: San Diego CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nitrous is god [worship]

--------------------
Support our troops!

5PT SLOW
¯
Member # 638

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5PT SLOW  Ford pictures for 5PT SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i ran a 250 shot on a stock bottem end 302. it ran fine till a screw from the tbody broke off into the motor. hehe!
Posts: 553 | From: Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ONELOWSPLITBUMPR ON N2O ANDONELOWLX:
anyone read the latest edition of chevy high performance.... of course not cause your all ford only idiots... [/QB]

try not to feel special about yourself [Wink]

Primedia owns 5.0, MM&FF, and yes CHP.

I subscribe to 'em all. It's the same idiots, same idiot tech, same advertising crap tainting all the articles.

Doesn't mean that '74 malibu smog motor didn't haul ass with a cam and a big hit of N20 though! I showed that article to a friend of mine planning a RAT buildup in his POS gen 2 maro. Made him think twice, but didn't change his mind...

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustangt  Ford pictures for 93mustangt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
5PT SLOW
WHat kind of fuel system were you running on the shot?Im thinking about doing the same.Any times what other mods did you have?Was type of nitrous system were you using?Im running a 125 shot on my car right now with no problems.

Posts: 543 | From: Orange county, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Chris M.
Ignore me, all I do is argue online!
Member # 1708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris M.  Ford pictures for Chris M.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
John, did someone bring that car into your shop?

Yes detonation breaks weak ass motors but so does excess horsepower WITHOUT detonation. Stock parts can handle just so much horsepower no matter how smoothly it runs.

Zimmerman, what happend to your stock block when you finally decided to pull it out and rebuild it??? Did that happen because you didn't know shit about nitrous tuning? Or just because it was too much power for the stock block?

Posts: 2828 | From: West Bay, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Team SOLO  Ford pictures for Team SOLO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had a bone stock bottom end w/ 90,000 miles...put in the jetting for a NOS rated 175 shot (saw much less to the rear wheels). have over 50 nitrous passes on that same motor and went from 12.0 on motor to 10.8/10.9 on the jug EVERY SINGLE PASS. motor never gave up and I ended up selling the bottom end for $400. only time i had an issue on the jug was from an installation tip from 10,000 RPM that customN20 among others told me not to do...should have listened but didn't and it still didn't even hurt the motor.

--------------------
'88 Mustang Coupe: 8.02 @ 170

Posts: 3887 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for customN2O  Ford pictures for customN2O  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stock block ran for a long time making tons of power. A head stud started pulling out when I decided to tear the heads off. When I put a helicoil in crooked, I pulled motor apart to fix. As I did that, I noticed the top of the block where there was no block cement ballooning. Also the main caps were walking severely. I didnt want to lose all the good parts I had in it, so I decided to junk the block instead of fixing it. Now I dont have to worry about the block, and will be adding alot more nitrous now. We will see how my non-knowledge of nitrous tuning will work out.

--------------------

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ONELOWSPLITBUMPR ON N2O ANDONELOWLX:
grow some balls and buy some nitrous.......

[worship]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Copello
¯
Member # 1534

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for Copello  Ford pictures for Copello    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anyone who has to run nitrous isn't really anything special we can all go and spend $300 and go just as fast, its just a matter of how long your going to be able to do it for.....ONELOW I can't remember any of your motors running for more than 6 months. stock engines don't break crankshafts no matter how much detonation there is that is piston damage not crank and it did not break at a journal. so for thoes of you who really don't know what your talking about it was nitrous that brake that crank! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
91 GT
73 RS Camaro

Posts: 1309 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0#3 88'conv:
anyone who has to run nitrous isn't really anything special we can all go and spend $300 and go just as fast, its just a matter of how long your going to be able to do it for.....ONELOW I can't remember any of your motors running for more than 6 months. stock engines don't break crankshafts no matter how much detonation there is that is piston damage not crank and it did not break at a journal. so for thoes of you who really don't know what your talking about it was nitrous that brake that crank! [Roll Eyes]

Going fast is going fast no matter how you do it.

If anything the nitrous guy is smarter using the least amount of money to go just as fast as a blower or N/A car. You sound like the kind of person who would say if I had nitrous I wouldve beat you.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

By the way a 50 shot isnt going to reak that much havoc on your cobra motor. I have a 153,000k mile motor and I squeezed a 75 shot on it for sometime and I didnt have any problems.

--------------------
Support our troops!

customN2O
¯
Member # 914

You better do your homework on what exactly detonation is, cause when you say it only hurts the piston, you are so wrong. Detonation tears bearings, pistons, and cranks up. It also puts alot of stress on main caps. When the mixture tries to fire as the piston is still coming up (detonation in short), it is highly stressing the rods, crank, bearings, block. It is just that you can see signs of detonation by looking at your plugs, cause as its doing all this, it breaks small pieces of the piston off, and leaves it on the plugs. Nitrous doesnt break cranks. A poorly tuned engine, not firing equally along all 4 journals is what puts huge stresses on cranks. Those cranks are bending and flexing all the time, thats what they do. When you have cylinders all firing with different power, and at the wrong times(detonation) then you add stress to the peice that is taking all the abuse, the crank. This is just a quick glimpse into what detonation can do. Dont take it as ALL KNOWLEDGE. There is much more to it then this. But do some homework and learn about what detonation really is, then explain to me how it only hurts pistons.....

--------------------

Chris M.
Member # 1708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris M.  Ford pictures for Chris M.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Scott, the nitrous tuning thing was to prove my point. If you're nitrous tune was as good as it could get (which i don't doubt) then why did all those things happen to your stock block? Because you were punishing it with too much power. Power that was only amplified by nitrous. I'm sure if the motor was making the same amount of horse power N/A then the block would still be alive. I believe it was that bottom end shock of nitrous (not to be confused with detonation) that was doing most of the damage. I could be wrong though, I have no experience with nitrous but I am just using common sense. Do you agree that is a valid point? That nitrous CAN brake something even when it's tuned correctly?
yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Of coarse N20 can break parts! As with ANY power adder if you dont have a good foundation and try to "poor on the power" stuff will break! There is a "breaking point" for evey part on an engine.

--------------------
I like cars.

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
N20 is a great, and cheap, way of adding power to your car!
quote:
anyone who has to run nitrous isn't really anything special we can all go and spend $300 and go just as fast
Thats like saying anyone that ports their heads isnt special either. Racing or building horsepower is all about bringing what you got, whatever that is, and useing it! Dont blame the N2O for the crank, the crank could have broke from many things, didnt change oil reguarly, improper tune, too much stress, etc... quit complaining and build another motor! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Chris M.
Member # 1708

well zimm said,
quote:
Originally posted by customN2O:
When there is a problem on a motor that is nitrous related, it means someone did something wrong. Shit happens, dont blame it on nitrous

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes, but he is talking about a motor that is built or that can handle a certain amount of N20(big or small). If its built right it should not have a problem and blaming it on n20 is the easy way out and usually not the problem.

I am saying that all motors have a power threshold whatever the power adder. If I got a stock 5.0 motor and put a 4 stage Pro mod n20 kit on it the motor would not last very long!

Hey, nice pic of jeffs car and me sitting in his trailer jerkin it.

You were the guy that was taking pics of his car and I asked you if I knew you right? If not, forget it.

Eric

--------------------
I like cars.

customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Well, you are right to an extent. They say a stock block will only handle about 700 hp. I was putting 850 through it for about 4 seasons. Nothing ever broke. I filled the block with block cement, up to the water pump holes. That left about 3 inches of cylinder "unfilled". THe fact that it was a stock block, and bored .060 over, means there was probably only about .150 thick cylinder wall at that top 3 inches. You could see where the cylinders were moving around above that point. Was this caused by nitrous? Yes and no. The internal parts of the motor, and the rest of that car for that matter, dont know what the difference is between nitrous hp,or N/A hp. HP is HP, and will tear things up, when the capabilities are not there. The fact that the nitrous put me over the block limit, could say that it caused the distruction, but then again, there wasnt any distruction....Nothing broke. Old blocks with rusted head bolt holes, tend to soften over the years...Ive seen it happen to stock motors. The fact that I saw what was going on to the block when I took it apart, was the reason I bought an aftermarket block. That and the fact I happened to have to money at that time. Now I can throw alot more power at it, and not have the block as the weak point. No offense to you Sir, but I doubt you are playing with that much power, so my original statement, was directed at that. Nitrous doesnt hurt motors, its the tuneup, or lack of tuneup that does.

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com