Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Will Ford sevice my tranny w/ a tri ax on it?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Will Ford sevice my tranny w/ a tri ax on it?
cobra status
¯
Member # 571

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobra status  Ford pictures for cobra status    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't wanna take it off if i don't have to. I'll be taking it to Hayward Ford. Will they trip? I'm taking it in cause of a grind when i shift into 2nd and 3rd. The 3650 sucks and i've heard this is a common problem w/ these trannies. Help pleeez

--------------------
2001 Mineral Grey Cobra Coupe

cobra99
¯
Member # 2356

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobra99  Ford pictures for cobra99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey i have had the same problem with my 99 cobra, when i had them look at it they said there was nothing wrong with it.. do you know if this is a common problem??

--------------------
'03 10th anniv black cobra convert
steeda tri ax shifter
magnaflow catback
18in chrome adr wheels
tint

Posts: 209 | From: san luis obispo, san jose is my hometown though | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Green Valley Ford here in Fairfield won't trip unless the aftermarket part that is installed on the vehicle is what has caused the malfunction on the manufactured or OEM part. So if they find that the Tri-Ax shifter did in fact fuck your tranny up, then they won't touch it period. It MIGHT be a good idea to take that shit off so they can't tell you, "Sorry sir, your aftermarket shifter is what has caused the problem and we will now void the warranty." Most likely that won't happen, but to be safe, I WOULD take it off

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
sn8k2
¯
Member # 2350

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sn8k2  Ford pictures for sn8k2  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah - it's a typical problem (although they will say it's "normal")... the shift forks on the syncros will need replacing. They probably will say it's caused by the tri-ax. Take that shit off before you take it in or you're likly to get stuck with the bill. Getting any warntee work on an SVT is a pita.

Oh BTW - there should be a TSB or SSM out on this... good luck.

--------------------
Mark K

2003 Cobra | 2001 Cobra | 1989 Black Mustang GT - the Savage

Posts: 152 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree. Take it off and make sure you don't round any bolt heads and use the same color RTV that Ford used. Why take chances ?
White02GT
¯
Member # 611

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for White02GT  Ford pictures for White02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the same problems on you, and there have been a few threads going on and they list the TSB's on the 3650.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49530

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=257961

I hope this helps.

--------------------
2002 Mustang GT 13.54 @ 102

"You can't out smart a smartass" Eminem

Posts: 1984 | From: Mountain View, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
cobra status
¯
Member # 571

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobra status  Ford pictures for cobra status    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the help guys. I'll get my lazy ass up up and switch back to stock. Hope they don't trip on the color of the RTV. If i cant find the tube i used last time where can i get some the same color. Black i think?

--------------------
2001 Mineral Grey Cobra Coupe

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You MUST swap it back. You can get the RTV at Kragen or even Wal Mart and any other parts places.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Copello
¯
Member # 1534

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Copello  Ford pictures for Copello    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bring It to S&C ford San Francisco and I'll take care of the warranty Don't mess with it and you'll get a new trans.
[burnout]

--------------------
91 GT
73 RS Camaro

Posts: 1309 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Tyrant89
¯
Member # 1033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrant89  Ford pictures for Tyrant89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OK, my friend has a 99 cobra and his tranny just started giving him similar probs. He took it to Ford (Salinas Valley) and they said the car was modified (Steeda Tri-Ax, & trunk-mount battery)and therefore voids his warranty. The car was purchased there, and has an "extended" warranty.

5.0#3, you have a way around this??

BTW, sorry for butting in on the original post, but this could help out a fellow 'stanger!

Thanks!!

Posts: 260 | From: Salinas, holmes! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
take it off and take it in! Sounds like Ford needs to do a recall. [BS flag]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant89:
OK, my friend has a 99 cobra and his tranny just started giving him similar probs. He took it to Ford (Salinas Valley) and they said the car was modified (Steeda Tri-Ax, & trunk-mount battery)and therefore voids his warranty. The car was purchased there, and has an "extended" warranty.

5.0#3, you have a way around this??

BTW, sorry for butting in on the original post, but this could help out a fellow 'stanger!

Thanks!!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com