Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Adjusting idle on fox body 5.0 (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Adjusting idle on fox body 5.0
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That could be a hint that you need to tighten your idle screw. Can you start the car and have it idle with out the IAC connected?
J's DDLY SNK
¯
Member # 2016

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J's DDLY SNK  Ford pictures for J's DDLY SNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
That could be a hint that you need to tighten your idle screw. Can you start the car and have it idle with out the IAC connected?

[patriot] Keep tightening until it idles right. its not a 5 min job, take your time.

--------------------
Rest In Peace
Juan Moya "The King Cobra"
11/16/81 - 8/20/05
We Will Never Forget You

JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well when I tightened it down, and drove it around like that it started backfiring when I downshifted. So I thought it needed to be looser???

Damn I shouldn't have messed with this thing! [Mad]

Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when you tighten the idle screw, you also increase the TPS voltage. Back off the TPS when you tighten the idle screw.

Basicly, everything that could be said on the topic has been said. Start back from the first post and slowly read each reply and you'll be fine.

darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for darien87  Ford pictures for darien87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Sawson, when you say adjust the idle screw, what screw are you referring to? I've adjusted a small nut that's under the throttle body and connected to the throttle cable. Is this the "screw" you're referring to or am I messing with the wrong thing?

I've been trying to fix my idle problem ever since Mustang Ranch drilled a hole in my throttle body. The damn car's never idled right since.

Here's what it does, basically every time I put the clutch in the car wants to stay at whatever RPM I was at, (i.e. if I'm rolling to a stop at 1,500 RPM's and put the clutch in, the car stays at 1,500 RPM's). The RPM's come back down if I tap the gas pedal. Sometimes it even jumps up from idle to 1,200 RPM's or so. I've cleaned the IAB, done the 10-pin thing, and still it keeps doing this. The last time I checked the TPS, it was at about .85 volts. I think that was before I messed with the idle nut though.

Will the Corral.net procedure help my problem?

Posts: 206 | From: South Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What brand / size throttle body do you have?

The corral.net proceedure is a joke, don't believe everything you read online. There is a lot of bad info floating around these days.

Is your TPS bad?

Have you tried partially covering the hole Mustang Ranch drilled with duct tape to see if it helps? Why did they drill it in the first place???

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey i did that procedure from Corral.net and now my Idle is back down to 700 and i set it at 900 what gives? [Confused] I am gonna go tighten the idle screw but i want my idle to STAY at 900 not drop down after a couple of months.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Stimson
_
Member # 51

CobraJeep. The only thing worth while in that corral "how-to" is unplugging the battery... but there is no real need to do that because the EEC will learn its way regardless. The reason your idle drops from 900 is because the EEC isn't programed to idle it that high. Eventually the EEC is "learning" around your tightened idle screw and returning back to what it was programmed to do. Get a twEECer or a chip from Byron and have your car set to idle where ever you want.
91PONY
Mrs. Valve Events
Member # 206

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91PONY  Ford pictures for 91PONY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
The corral.net proceedure is a joke, don't believe everything you read online. There is a lot of bad info floating around these days.

Ahem....well it worked for my car! [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Heather '91 GT

Posts: 1477 | From: Citrus Heights, CA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Sorry, I was a bit harsh. I didn't mean to imply that method doesn't work... I was just saying its MUCH more complicated than need be and has useless witch doctor type steps in there like turning on and off all the accessories. I'm surprised they didn't talk about doing the rain dance backwards to please the EEC idle gods in the sky and tossing chicken bones in the witches brew in that "tech" artical [Wink] Simply adjusting the screw and letting the EEC learn the new settings in time or unplugging the battery for a few seconds both are valid methods. No rain dance needed [Smile]
darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for darien87  Ford pictures for darien87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Sawson, I have an Edelbrock 65mm TB.

I don't think my TPS is bad. Apex replaced it a few months ago when I was trying to track down a backfiring problem.

Joe at Mustang Ranch was trying to alleviate that throttle body whistle that most of the aftermarket TB's seem to have. It got rid of the whistle, but now my car won't idle right.

Posts: 206 | From: South Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The cure is to get a ford 65mm TB. I don't know what else to tell you.
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i adjusted the idle and its fine now, hopefully it stays that way. I can't afford a chip and i don't think i can get my Jeep dynoed anywhere anyways i think my 35s would break the dyno. I need a new tranny and rearend and i have almost enough money to do it.
Dana

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com