Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Oils (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Oils
CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CustomFastbackCA  Ford pictures for CustomFastbackCA  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Got off the phone with Speed Merchant, Summit, Vortech, and Mustang Ranch...they all said synthetic will protect my engine better than regular oil, especially startup.

--------------------
www.CustomFastbackCA.com

1995 Dinan M3 Avus Blue Metallic
1967 GT Mustang Fastback (Eleanor)

Ask questions if you have'em, anyone who thinks they're too cool, know's it all, or doesn't want to look stupid has more problems than you.

Posts: 346 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:

How many of you guy's knew that the "W" in 10w30 20W50 ETC stands for Winter???..

I did, that was something I learrned long ago in training classes from an oil company.

As has been stated on here, Amsoil is one damned fine lubricant for your engine. I use it in my personal vehicles. At the shop we use Redline which is also a high quality oil.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As an afterthought, ST5150 is correct, most engines do not fail as a direct result of engine oil. That being said, it is not true that you might as well put Cornola oil in there. While most engines fail as a result of other things, a good oil will help prevent/slow down wear and tear on the internal parts. The engines in our race cars usually run the entire season without coming apart. There was a problem at the first race in Fontana when the crankshaft snout broke off on our #42 car, definitely not an effect of the lubrication. We tear down each motor in the off season, freshen them up with rings and bearings, valve springs and related hardware, etc. Most often this is a preventitive measure, not because parts are worn out. The crankshaft in the #40 car has been used for the past 4 seasons and is still in excellent shape, it has outlived 2 blocks, one set of heads, and one set of pistons. The solid flat tappet camshaft has also lived through 2 seasons of racing and many sets of valve springs, 7000 rpm for 30-40 minutes at a time several times a weekend several weekends a month. These parts are still around because of good oil.

[ December 31, 2002, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: racercosmo ]

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com