Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Gauges

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Gauges
White02GT
¯
Member # 611

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for White02GT  Ford pictures for White02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I need to pick out gauges for my boost and fuel pressure, and I know I will be a getting auto-meter gauges, I just need to pick out which ones. There are two choices of electric or mechanical gauges, and I'm not sure what the difference is, and which one would be better.

Also, I would like them to keep a similar look to my stock gauges, so green/red if possible. What would you guys reccomend?

--------------------
2002 Mustang GT 13.54 @ 102

"You can't out smart a smartass" Eminem

Posts: 1984 | From: Mountain View, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mechanical for the boost, and electric for the fuel pressure

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
exactly....an electric fuel guage is a must...

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
White02GT
¯
Member # 611

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for White02GT  Ford pictures for White02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What exactly is the difference between mechanical and electric that make one better for a particular application?

--------------------

7.3L White Whale
¯
Member # 1848

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7.3L White Whale  Ford pictures for 7.3L White Whale    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm not 100% sure, but I think mechanical guages run some sort of line to the source, like if it was an oil pressure guage, a tube to the oil source and oil would run through the line to the guage. And I think electrical guages use an electrical sensor instead of running the actual product to the guage. I could be wrong though. The autometer sport comps will match ur stock guages the closest and if u really want u can put green bulbs in them like the stockers. Another thing that would look clean is the Lunar guages and indiglo white face guages.

--------------------
444 cubic inches and a 105mm turbo.

2001 gt.... sold

02 wrx... shits in the works

5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Brian  Ford pictures for 5.0Brian    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SlowAss01:
I'm not 100% sure, but I think mechanical guages run some sort of line to the source, like if it was an oil pressure guage, a tube to the oil source and oil would run through the line to the guage. And I think electrical guages use an electrical sensor instead of running the actual product to the guage. I could be wrong though. The autometer sport comps will match ur stock guages the closest and if u really want u can put green bulbs in them like the stockers. Another thing that would look clean is the Lunar guages and indiglo white face guages.

Yeah, that's right. With mechanical guages, you also have to buy the isolator for use with fuel, etc. (approx $100) so that's something else to think about. Definitely go with the electric though.

--------------------
Brian

---Rest In Peace Miles Werho-Dec. 8 2002---

Posts: 561 | From: Antioch, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for darien87  Ford pictures for darien87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Electrical gauges are easier to install, but more expensive. Plus, if you're going to run a mechanical gauge to the dash, be VERY sure about your seals. You definitely don't want hot oil or coolant in your cockpit.

By the way, my autometer gauges came with a red and a green sleeve that you can place over the bulb in the gauge to change it's color. So you should be ok with whatever color you want.

Posts: 206 | From: South Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
White02GT
¯
Member # 611

I'm going to need a boost gauge and fuel pressure, so which gauges would you guys reccomend?

--------------------

White02GT
¯
Member # 611

TTT

--------------------

LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would not listen to some of these replys although you may not listen to mine. Go mechanical. With a mechanical gauge you are pumping oil staight to the gauge(for oil pressure but be sure to get the copper line and dont use the plastic) with boost I believe there is no option, its just air. As far as fuel pressure, I run mechanical with an isolator. Much, much, much more accurate! All mechanical gauges are going to be more accurate and if installed right, you wont have any problems. I have all Ford racing gauges made by autometer if you cannot decide. I am very happy with them and shit, they say ford on them. Good luck, here is what they look like.
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/last302/vwp?.dir=/My+Photos&.src=ph&.dnm=scotts+cars+009.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/last302/lst%3f%26.dir=/My%2bPhotos%26.src=ph%26.view=t

Posts: 1147 | From: Disco Bay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice photo album Scott! Did you move?

--------------------
Support our troops!

andyman_2k01
CAFords OG
Member # 1448

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for andyman_2k01  Ford pictures for andyman_2k01    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
damn gauges everywhere in that car...lol

--------------------
-00 Mustang GT (R Clone)
-99 Saleen Convert. #231-SOLD

Posts: 1503 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes there is but they are all used and all necessary.....

--------------------
Support our troops!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com