Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » autometer tach install ?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: autometer tach install ?
POONSTANG
¯
Member # 79

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POONSTANG  Ford pictures for POONSTANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have a used autometer tach and hooking it up...it has four wires:

Green = to coil
Red = power
black = ground
white = illumination (i believe)

I think I have to hook the white wire up to the headlight switch but don't remember which factory wire to hook it to (what color). If this is correct then can someone please tell me which factory wire on the headlight switch to hook it to.....or if this isn't correct...then can u please tell me what to hook it to and what color the wire is to hook it to..thankyou

Also...this is going on a 93LX 5.0

--------------------
98 Chrome Yellow Cobra === Sold
2004 Silver WRX Wagon ==== Modded
1967 Black/Green Mustang Coupe
*being resto-modded as we speak*

Posts: 933 | From: Lawrenceville, Ga | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for darien87  Ford pictures for darien87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On my 92, I hooked up my autometer gauge lights to the headlight wire that is light blue with a red stripe.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 206 | From: South Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
POONSTANG
¯
Member # 79

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POONSTANG  Ford pictures for POONSTANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by darien87:
On my 92, I hooked up my autometer gauge lights to the headlight wire that is light blue with a red stripe.

Hope this helps.

u sir are the man...and if i lived in cali, you'd get a lunch off of me!!!

Thankyou soooo much...

--------------------

j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0eyabs  Ford pictures for j0eyabs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how do u hook up the autometer gauges to the headlight wire? im gonna install some gauges next week and id like to know. does it require splicing or is there a easier way
Posts: 767 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
POONSTANG
¯
Member # 79

quote:
Originally posted by j0eyabs:
how do u hook up the autometer gauges to the headlight wire? im gonna install some gauges next week and id like to know. does it require splicing or is there a easier way

Like darien said...hook the white wire from the autometer gauge to the blue wire with red stripe on the headlight switch for illumination, then the green wire goes to the coil, black to a ground, and then red to the battery...taaa daaa [Big Grin]

--------------------

j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0eyabs  Ford pictures for j0eyabs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so i do have to splice the headlight wire
POONSTANG
¯
Member # 79

quote:
Originally posted by j0eyabs:
so i do have to splice the headlight wire

That would be a 10-4 big guy!!

--------------------

j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

that sucks, 20% of the time when i splice something important it doesnt seem to work anymore, oh well lets see what happens. Also it says for the phantom gauges to hook a wire up to the ignition to get power. what wire will i have to cut for that, or should i just hook it up to my fuse box.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com