Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » taking air tool recommendations: need something *quiet*

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: taking air tool recommendations: need something *quiet*
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok I broke down and bought a compressor. My 5.5 (or is it 6?) HP 30 gallon upright beats the dead when it cycles on. The crappy air ratchet and 3/8 impact are not much better.

Is this the "one tool" that I can use for damn near everything under the hood, say in a heads/cam/intake swap I just use this to zip off every bolt, and other than hand starting and a final torque from a torque wrench this 1/2 impact does all the work?
thanks for any/all advice. I am brand new to air tools.

FYI: sears just had a 10% off the whole store and the 5.5 HP 30 gallon upright was $280 after tax with the crappy 3/8 impact and 3/8 air ratchet and the starter set of connectors/fittings.
wish the compressor was quieter [Frown]
89 DB in operation.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that gun is hella sick buy it buy it

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you can also put a rag over the exhaust and it quiets it down some.

FYI- I got a 5hp 30 gal compressor with all fitting brand new for $250

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did it come with a crappy 3/8 impact wrench and 3/8 air ratchet [Wink]
thanks for the rag trick. I'll go try that right now, but I think there's no helping that air ratchet. I estimate it's DB level to be at least 95, maybe nearly 100!

v6mustanglover
¯
Member # 545

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v6mustanglover  Ford pictures for v6mustanglover  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just get some ear plugs! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Adam
2004 F150 Crew Cab
6" and 35's

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i meant for sale [Razz]

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blown Mystic:

Thast real smart, wait for it to reach its igntion tempature and then you will have a fire on your hands there [Embarrassed]

--------------------
Support our troops!

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To have the good, you gotta have the bad.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thast real smart, wait for it to reach its igntion tempature and then you will have a fire on your hands there

have you ever seen that happen? cause te guy I used to work for has been doing that for years and i did it when i worked there and never had a problem. its not like your using the tool for more than a few minutes continuosly

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thast real smart, wait for it to reach its igntion tempature and then you will have a fire on your hands there

have you ever seen that happen? cause te guy I used to work for has been doing that for years and i did it when i worked there and never had a problem. its not like your using the tool for more than a few minutes continuosly
Even if you use an air tool for 20 minutes straight, the rag would never catch fire !!! It will freeze not burn [Roll Eyes]
Put your hand over the exhaust of an air tool and tell me what you think

Brian

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Brian  Ford pictures for 5.0Brian    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TheBrain:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Even if you use an air tool for 20 minutes straight, the rag would never catch fire !!! It will freeze not burn [Roll Eyes]
Put your hand over the exhaust of an air tool and tell me what you think

Brian

He's right, it's pretty cold, especially on a die grinder or another similar air-hog.

--------------------
Brian

---Rest In Peace Miles Werho-Dec. 8 2002---

Posts: 561 | From: Antioch, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ONELOWSPLITBUMPR:
that gun is hella sick buy it buy it

I agree, that is the gun that I have.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They make that same tool for Craftsman but with different body colors and a Craftsman label. That's the one I have, works real good.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Thanks guys (and esp. John). If it's good enough for you it's good enough for me. I'll buy it and let you know how quiet/loud it really is.

For now I have cranked my regulator to 120 PSI and the freebie craftsmen 3/8 impact seems to be up in the 80 ft/lbs. range [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

did the rag trick help?

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

a little. But still it's too loud (plus this wrench is F;ing weak. I mean I can put more power on a 6" socket wrench with one hand!) [Eek!]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com