Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » musings from under the shade-tree, GASOLINE (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: musings from under the shade-tree, GASOLINE
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is MTBE a performance killer? Ethanol additives too right?

Of course ARCO is a no-no (water gas, alcohol, ethanol, etc.), but I was at 76 today, with the big 'NO MTBE', and noticed the sign 'MAY CONTAIN ETHANOL' [Mad]

Is there any G.D. place that sells real gas? [Mad]

read an article where they said MTBE can kill up to 10% of the combustive power of gasoline? Any it increases the tendency to knock to boot? Any truth to this? [worship]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wait, why is Arco bad and which is the best gas station to go to?

Whats up with the whole Chevrons techron thing?
I want to know about the MTBE too.

--------------------
Support our troops!

03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SHKER  Ford pictures for 03SHKER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, I usually go to Chevrons too... Whats up with the MTBE stuff???
-Chris

--------------------
chris@apexmotorsports.com
2555 Lafayette Blvd. Suite #122
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i put in 76 gas, no mtbe, and with the supercharger, i guess a little alcohol would cool the charge and reduce the tendancy to ping

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So 76 has no MTBE.

--------------------
Support our troops!

griffined
¯
Member # 1330

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for griffined  Ford pictures for griffined  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My tank was nearly empty coming back from the dyno day at Apex, and when I stopped at a Chevron in East Palo Alto(yes, I took a wrong turn and ended up going north on 101 to the SM bridge) I was surprised to see 92 octane Premium. I thought everything was 91 now? Anyway, it did have MTBE in it.

--------------------
2001 Cobra Vert #678 of 3384
269 SAE rwhp 279 Tq stock
2000 Cobra R #154 of 300
395 SAE rwhp 398 Tq
1986 Mustang SVO daily driver

Posts: 207 | From: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how do you guys know theres a difference in gas? They all come from the same refineries down by the bay don't they?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
MTBE(oil based) and Ethanol (corn based) are oxygenates, they help the catylitic converter work more effciently. Since it is an oxygenate I suppose it could cause leaness, worse gas mileage, and release less energy. All California gas(except race gas) must have this aditive, this is why the oil co.'s claim that our gas is more expensive than the rest of the nation. MTBE will be banned soon because it was found to be a big pollutant to ground water, ethanol will be the only oxygenate soon. Gasoline is basically a commodity but the different oil companies add their additives(Chevron w/Techron, 76 w/Pro-Power) and whatever oxygenate they choose. I use 76 gas because it smells better [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ November 27, 2002, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Jimbo ]

--------------------
1965 Mustang Coupe
EFI, 302ci, T-5, 3.70's.
Click for My Mustang Pics

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

According to what I have recently read MTBE was merely used to oxegnate fuel supposdely to make it burn cleaner and reduce emmisions. Since MTBE was leaking into ground water it was recently banned by the state of California in all gasoline. It didnt say anything about performance killing.

I just heard that ethanol burns cleaner than gas and also reduces emmisions but I found nothing on the performance.

--------------------
Support our troops!

03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SHKER  Ford pictures for 03SHKER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo:
I use 76 gas because it smells better [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

HAHAHAHA! Thats classic!
-Chris

--------------------
chris@apexmotorsports.com
2555 Lafayette Blvd. Suite #122
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by griffined:
[QB]I was surprised to see 92 octane Premium. I thought everything was 91 now?QB]

Ethanol cannot be used in the same percentages as MTBE. I can't seem to remember the exact specs, but I think gas is 15% MTBE. Ethanol will be about 10% so that ups the octane rating. That's how it was explained to me anyways.

Before MTBE, I was getting about 225 miles per tank. With MTBE, I was getting about 120 miles. Now, with ethanol, I'm at about 150 miles per tank. Woohooo!! I'm getting over 10mpg!!

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so whats wrong with chevron besides the incredibly high prices?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Chris M.
Ignore me, all I do is argue online!
Member # 1708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris M.  Ford pictures for Chris M.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the round rubber seal around the cap of my friend's fuel cell expanded and became to large to make a good seal with MTBE but now that 76 doesnt have it anymore the seal is back to it's original size and seals better than ever... THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE. [worship]
Posts: 2828 | From: West Bay, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

quote:
Originally posted by Cobra-Jeep:
so whats wrong with chevron besides the incredibly high prices?

Buddys dad used to work for a little trucking company thatd rove the gas trucks to the station and when they get to teh sattion they dump a test tube of techron in there. Then they say the whole gasoline is treated. Its all [BS flag] an all marketing
[BS flag]

I think I am going to go back to using 76

--------------------
Support our troops!

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

maybe a test tude will react with that amount of gasoline. Too bad i am not a chem major LOL. So does arco really have more water in their gas? i noticed when i get down to empty the Jeep looses power it seems like..... I use arco cause its cheap but from what i've read on here i might go back to chevron.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Yeah I think iw ill go back to 76.

--------------------
Support our troops!

The TASM
CAFords OG
Member # 292

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The TASM  Ford pictures for The TASM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If this helps anyone, I saw the gas tanker leaving the AM/PM gas station at the corner of Fremont Blvd and Central. It drove straight across the street to the Shell station. [Confused]

--------------------
1984 Cadillac Eldorado, vogue tires, 100 shot NOS

Posts: 558 | From: nineonesix | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fuck, it's all gas. It all works for me. I just get the cheapest shit I can find. [patriot]
Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
v6mustanglover
¯
Member # 545

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v6mustanglover  Ford pictures for v6mustanglover  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Clark:
Fuck, it's all gas. It all works for me. I just get the cheapest shit I can find. [patriot]

Me too!

--------------------
Adam
2004 F150 Crew Cab
6" and 35's

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Hey i changed my fuel filter yesterday and when it started pouring fuel out of it when it was off all the gas that came out was BLACK!! I am surprised gas is so dirty.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CustomFastbackCA  Ford pictures for CustomFastbackCA  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did some research and this is what I found. MTBE (methyl tertiary-butyl ether), said to increase the burn rate which will cause your fuel economy to increase. Once the fuel in the combustion chamber is ignited by the spark plug, the catalyst will significantly increase the burn rate of the flame front. This increase in the rate of combustion results in an increase in pressure (or push) downward on the piston during the power stroke, directly increasing power output. Since the fuel is completely burned before the exhaust valves are opened, the efficiency of the engine is increased. This increased efficiency can be used as extra power or increased fuel milage. However MTBE was found to mix easily with water, be a carconigenic, and didn't actually burn as clean as expected. It has been banned by law, set for one year, but 76 is the first to rid itself of MTBE. Ethanol is said to replace MTBE, for it is safer, yet more expensive. MTBE and ethanol are both additives added afterwards. So go with 76 for now, unless their is some problem with ethanol?

--------------------
www.CustomFastbackCA.com

1995 Dinan M3 Avus Blue Metallic
1967 GT Mustang Fastback (Eleanor)

Ask questions if you have'em, anyone who thinks they're too cool, know's it all, or doesn't want to look stupid has more problems than you.

Posts: 346 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ethanol is almost the same as MTBE but it will give you better milage over MTBE and is corn based instead of oil based like MTBE is.

The other day I filled my car up with 76 and put in some fuel injectore cleaner and its never run better. My mis fire is gone. Maybe I had a clogged injector from my crappy arco gasoline because its running like a champ now.

--------------------
Support our troops!

darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for darien87  Ford pictures for darien87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So what is this about Arco having water in their gas? I always go to Arco because they're always at least 10 cents a gallon cheaper than the other guys. I was under the impression that gas is gas. Don't they all get their gas from the same refineries? Is there anything published or on the internet about the quality of different companies gas?
Posts: 206 | From: South Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
5project stang0
¯
Member # 2082

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5project stang0  Ford pictures for 5project stang0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i use 76 out of pure puck I guess....I nevr really knew any facts about gas stations besides the fact that arco has "watery gas" I have heard that rumor

--------------------
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

1989 bronco with a 8 inch lift...GONE
1972 camaro split bumper....GONE
1994 bagged and shaved s10....GONE
1989 mustang....GONE
whats next?

Posts: 887 | From: Livermore, Ca | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
The TASM
CAFords OG
Member # 292

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The TASM  Ford pictures for The TASM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I notice a bit of performance gain from ARCO 87 octane in my 94 GT (10 degree timing) over other gas brands? Maybe it's in my head, but it's my daily commuter, on a budget, so I have no other choice. [dance]

[ December 01, 2002, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: The TASM ]

--------------------
1984 Cadillac Eldorado, vogue tires, 100 shot NOS

Posts: 558 | From: nineonesix | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com