Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » one word of advice to those with 4.6 engines (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: one word of advice to those with 4.6 engines
302n/a
¯
Member # 1465

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 302n/a  Ford pictures for 302n/a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they suck i blew my engine up on friday after installing a nos dry kit it ran lean on #7 cylinder drew was driving it and it blew up first try now im stuck with a car payment and the major cost of replacing my engine.I will never ever throw a power adder on this engine again until its built fords internals are a joke and their quality.At 20k mi my tranny went and now at 40k mi my engine went i have no q's about drews work it was a very very good job.My advice is to all who have new mustangs or prior cobras to the 03 don't put forced induction on these cars unless you got the $$$ to rebuild otherwise your asking for trouble if your car is paid off then go for it but now i see why people say why they race their cars they make payments on well i learned my lesson now i can hope to prevent this from happening to someone else and if anyone knows of someone who has a 99-02 gt engine please let me know thxs

--------------------
Raiders A's Warriors Sharks

Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
damn, what size shot did you run i thought those motors where dorable, arn't they 4 bolt main blocks [Confused] we put a blower on my boys 2000 gt ran 14 poundsd of boost and his never broke.

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

StoplightWarrior
¯
Member # 211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StoplightWarrior  Ford pictures for StoplightWarrior        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That sucks erik!!!
holy shit!!!

--------------------
2000 GT
couple bolt ons

Check out the website: peep it

Posts: 2952 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First off you screwed up because you installed a NOS system. Second I hope you didnt go above a 75 shot unless you have a larger fuel pump.

Dont you still have warranty? Take all the nitrous stuff off the car and all the other mods and take it in for warranty. Say it blew up as you were getting up to speed on the freeway on ramp.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Chris M.
Ignore me, all I do is argue online!
Member # 1708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris M.  Ford pictures for Chris M.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
dry kit it ran lean on #7 cylinder
i think i found your problem and it doesn't seem to be the crappy ford internals.
Posts: 2828 | From: West Bay, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We have a 2001 4V engine sitting in the shop, new in the plastic.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sucks man. I'm test piloting a NX 'wet' EFI kit myself right now.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
shoulda stuck with the NX
sorry to hear about that though eric. 4.6 shortblocks arent too expensive now, check out an issue of mm&ff... dss and some other places sell built ones, daves mustang parts and mustang parts specialties probably have some used

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

v6mustanglover
¯
Member # 545

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v6mustanglover  Ford pictures for v6mustanglover  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That sucks. But you knew the risk and took it. Don't blame FORD for your engine blowing up.

--------------------
Adam
2004 F150 Crew Cab
6" and 35's

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a T trim on a 97 Cobra...no problems at all. Trust me, that thing got beat on stop light to stop light... [burnout]

You sure you had an adaquate fuel system? [Confused]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
ls1rider
¯
Member # 1677

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ls1rider  Ford pictures for ls1rider    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
damn sorry to hear that eric [Eek!]

--------------------
FAF'n

Posts: 144 | From: pinole,bay area | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
302n/a
¯
Member # 1465

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 302n/a  Ford pictures for 302n/a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had a 100 shot on the car and the reason i say the 4.6 sucks is because i know of a lot of 5.0's that had 190 shot on em no problems at all even with no precaution such as timing or anything this kit came with a fuel enrichment system so it shouldn't have went lean on me but that's the risk i took with a dry kit one day when i have enough guts to put a power adder on its gonna bethe new nitrous express fogger kit thats coming out in january that will guarantee me not running lean and i more thing i will never buy a nos product again

--------------------

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
at least you got 40k out of yours. I got 1k on my built motor [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thats what I have been saying. If you don't have the $ for a rebuild, don't screw with it, espically if its yor daily driver.

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey eric sorry to hear that about the engine, yea adding a power adders is always a risk.
you have to have it tuned or back the timeing off alot even 5.0 would blow if the timing is not set right. Even if you built a better motor and you dont have the right tune it will blow no matter what, tuning is always a must. I blew my second motor with forged internals cracked the same piston due to lack of tuning

it just really sucks to blow you car up, shit god nows I been their one to many times

like I said cheapest way to fix it is to buy a junkyard motor put it in and sell your heads thats the most cost effective way of doing it

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you pull some timing and get colder plugs?
Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
302n/a
¯
Member # 1465

chuck check emails

--------------------

Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Unless you are running the right spark plugs for a Nitrous setup, your motor is basically a ticking time bomb everytime you squeez...

Live and learn bro, you made a rookie mistake and the only place you should be pointing a finger at is toward yourself...

[ November 24, 2002, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Rev Happy ]

--------------------
96 Cobra

Posts: 182 | From: Southern California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you taken apart the motor already to know if you ran lean or detonated? Not retarding timing with a power adder is never a good idea. If you don't understand why, you probably shouldn't be messing around with power adders.

VortechSaleen on here is making about 535HP on a stock SOHC GT motor with some aftercooled boost. His internals are holding up fine. TRY2PAZ made 475+ HP with a power adder and stock SOHC GT motor and it held up.

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can run rich as often as you'd like. You only get to run lean once [Frown]
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
GR40COUPE:
4.6 motors actually have 6 bolt mains like the 427's did.
sorry to hear that bro it really sucks to have a car ur still payin on when u dont have a motor for it.i havent driven my car in over a year,but the motor is almost done. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey 281/na i may have a 01 gt motor that you might be able to buy for cheap man, let me talk to my uncle he has one siting in his gerage cause he works for ford and he got it from work. its from a 01 gt and it only has like 20k miles i believe. give me a pm or hit me up on AIM: gt91man
later

[ November 24, 2002, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: 1sic91blackgt ]

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its always number seven on those motors. When my heads came off number 7 was fugged. NOS keeps engine builders in business.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by racercosmo:
We have a 2001 4V engine sitting in the shop, new in the plastic.

how much u asking for that?
iron281
¯
Member # 80

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iron281  Ford pictures for iron281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been running an NOS 5171 at 125 hp. Byron at Racesystems burned a two-way switch chip with a 5 degree retard for N20. A/F in the sweet spot. 9 bottles down, zero problems. Just about 300 rwhp and 400+ lb/ft. Dry kit, wet kit, whatever- I ain't goin' there.

--------------------
SHM H-pipe, Flowmaster, SVO pullies, PRO-M77, PRO-5.0, NOS 125 hp shot, Racesystems/Autologic, Precision 3.73

Posts: 385 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com