Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Where to get 160 Tstat for newer cobras(96+)????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Where to get 160 Tstat for newer cobras(96+)????
Milesblown03
¯
Member # 27

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milesblown03  Ford pictures for Milesblown03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tryin to find some place around here that sells the 160 thermostats for the 4.6 cobras, anybody know of a place that sells them in the bay area? i want to get a lower T stat in it before my dyno (this sat), but have no idea where to get one around here.

--------------------
99 honda 996 superhawk...
03 cobra:422rwhp,399rwtq (before pulley)
New best,12.07@119.9(!!)mph on nittos (cant drive to save my life!)

Posts: 1002 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I asked Byron about changing mine as well> he informed me that if you change the thermostat> the modular motors will acutally loose hp=not good. He said the stock one will give you the most power.

--------------------
----------------------------------
Faster than most, slower than less.

00NIGHTMARE
¯
Member # 1010

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 00NIGHTMARE  Ford pictures for 00NIGHTMARE  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got a 180 t-stat from monumuent, but i hope i did'nt lose power from it. i cant tell.

--------------------
00 black GT w/saleen kit & rims
T-Trim 597RWHP 475RWTQ 1.79 60. 11.2 @ 131.9 on 91 tune, not me driving. Built and tuned by Nextgen.

Posts: 533 | From: Livermore again | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont know about the performance reprocussions(byron seems like he know what hes talking about) but from a computer and emissions stand point changing to a 160 is a bad idea. My sisters '96 Cherokee got a new radiator and t-stat, the dummies at the shop put in a 160 instead of the factory 195 and the catylitic converter went out quickly(motor ran too rich). The computer also relies on a "normal engine temp" to run many of its checks and monitors, lowering to a 160 would upset this.
Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Going to a 160 degree thermostat will prevent the car from getting out of warm-up mode, thus running rich and losing power.
4.6s do like to run a little warmer than 5.0s, but I find that a 180 degree thermostat is a good balance. They thermostat is $19.95 plus $3.49 for the gasket, and I have them in stock!
FYI--we use 180 deg. thermostats in all our open-tracking 4.6s, and they work great.

[ November 20, 2002, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Bill/APEX Motorsports ]

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Milesblown03
¯
Member # 27

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milesblown03  Ford pictures for Milesblown03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmm, weird... most of the guys over at Svtperformance seem to like the 160's. I figured i was getting the chip done this saturday anyway, so i wanted to have him change the chip to aloow the lower t stat. Maybe ill just go with a 180 then...

--------------------
99 honda 996 superhawk...
03 cobra:422rwhp,399rwtq (before pulley)
New best,12.07@119.9(!!)mph on nittos (cant drive to save my life!)

Posts: 1002 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Miles Check your PMs
Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com