Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » heads & cam (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: heads & cam
venomous93
¯
Member # 1992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous93  Ford pictures for venomous93  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im thinking of getting some new heads and cam i was thinking of AFR 185 and a custom grind from comp cams can any body tell me if this is a good idea for my 93' cobra

--------------------
-93'Cobra-
650 4 life

WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WANARNM  Ford pictures for WANARNM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by venomous93:
im thinking of getting some new heads and cam i was thinking of AFR 185 and a custom grind from comp cams can any body tell me if this is a good idea for my 93' cobra

Yes. Try a custom cam from Ed Curtis. what Intake will you be running and what injectors?

--------------------
89’ Hatch. Completely stock.

venomous93
¯
Member # 1992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous93  Ford pictures for venomous93  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
where can i find out more about this guy ed curtis. i might just port out my cobra manifold as for injectors i have 24lb stock do you think i should move up to 30lb

--------------------
-93'Cobra-
650 4 life

WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WANARNM  Ford pictures for WANARNM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
where can i find out more about this guy ed curtis. i might just port out my cobra manifold as for injectors i have 24lb stock do you think i should move up to 30lb

I will see where i can find that info for you. I think you should get 30's. Once you get that cutome cam and heads get it Dyno tuned and that car should haul ass. [Wink] [burnout] [burnout]

--------------------

WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

I forgot to mention that the heads wont work with the stock 302 unles you notch the pistons.

--------------------

venomous93
¯
Member # 1992

yeah, about notching the piston im going to school (wyotech) and am taking high performence engines class next semester so i will be doing it all there about how much power do you think ill be getting. id be glad if you could get me more info on the cam
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
yeah, about notching the piston im going to school (wyotech) and am taking high performence engines class next semester so i will be doing it all there about how much power do you think ill be getting. id be glad if you could get me more info on the cam

Unless you plan on stroking the motor, a lot of guys don't reccommend the 185's for a stock block, even Ed Curtis said so himself. There is a guy on WCF with the 165's, a cobra intake and a cam that dynoed at 265 I think. Why not go all Trick Flow? The best intake for the AFR 165's are the Edelbrocks right now, and for the 185;s the Holley Sytemax.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
venomous93
¯
Member # 1992

THIS GUY ONLY HAD 265 HORSE POWER WITH HEADS, CAM,AND INTAKE WHY

--------------------
-93'Cobra-
650 4 life

venomous93
¯
Member # 1992

GO RAIDERS

--------------------
-93'Cobra-
650 4 life

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go giants

AFR 185's on a 'race' 302 shortblock = perfect.
for the street, 165's make more sense (smaller cam, lower rpms, etc.)

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How high do you want to Rev the motor? Ed has some stout performers out there. I can rattle off several of them in detail. I've talked to him about them and some of the ingredients. If you plan to stay under 6200 the 165's will be fine. Definitely use an Edelbrock intake. They work extremely well with these heads. Tell me the basic goals of your setup and weight and I can give you more specific info and examples to compare to. Is smog a concern? If it is then you can kiss big power goodbye NA.

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AaronC:
How high do you want to Rev the motor? Ed has some stout performers out there. I can rattle off several of them in detail. I've talked to him about them and some of the ingredients. If you plan to stay under 6200 the 165's will be fine. Definitely use an Edelbrock intake. They work extremely well with these heads. Tell me the basic goals of your setup and weight and I can give you more specific info and examples to compare to. Is smog a concern? If it is then you can kiss big power goodbye NA.

Hey Aaron, what AFR's do you have?

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn:
quote:

Unless you plan on stroking the motor, a lot of guys don't reccommend the 185's for a stock block, even Ed Curtis said so himself. There is a guy on WCF with the 165's, a cobra intake and a cam that dynoed at 265 I think. Why not go all Trick Flow? The best intake for the AFR 165's are the Edelbrocks right now, and for the 185;s the Holley Sytemax.
Glenn, I dont think that stanger 91 has AFR 165's. Last time I heard, he had Edelbrock 6037's. You're right about him having a cam, but i'm pretty sure he still has the stock cam. So basically, crappy heads and crappy cam = weak numbers
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had 165's with 2.02 valves but still had a 165 port. Cam specs were 224/218 .555/.528, 111 LSA, with 10:1 compression. Standard performer intake. Car drove just a tad above stock, I loved it. Stepping up the cam, porting the heads, and lower intake to match. Also the RPM upper is going on with 10.5 compression this time

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

quote:
Originally posted by 88gt:
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn:
quote:

Glenn, I dont think that stanger 91 has AFR 165's. Last time I heard, he had Edelbrock 6037's. You're right about him having a cam, but i'm pretty sure he still has the stock cam. So basically, crappy heads and crappy cam = weak numbers
Iwas talking about stanger having the 165's I threw him in there just to show his numbers as well. I was talking about whiteGt's combo.

[ October 22, 2002, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Glenn ]

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
265 rwhp out of an AOD (if I think I know the car you're talking about) is pretty good.
Account for the AOD drivetrain losses, and that's probably 285+ rwhp in a T5 car.

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think those are great choices but why not go the whole 9 yards and get a new intake. The Trick Flow track heat is a great one. those are definately good choices though. [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
venomous93
¯
Member # 1992

i have thought about it and im just going to leave my cobra motor stock and i going to save up some more cash so i can buy a built motor any companies you guys recomend
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Unless there's something wrong with the stock shortblock, there's really no reason to buy a built one.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
might i suggest a crane 2031 cam for a stock 302 cobra [Smile]
venomous93
¯
Member # 1992

hey 93 pony what heads do you suggust i put on the stock short block

--------------------
-93'Cobra-
650 4 life

venomous93
¯
Member # 1992

one more thing to say giants kick ass

--------------------
-93'Cobra-
650 4 life

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
AFR165's, custom 'Ed' cam, & either a ported Cobra intake, or ported E-bock. Probably stick with the Cobra since it goes with the car.
That's what I'd do if I wanted to run 114+ in a full weight cobra....& pass smog.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
TEA- trick flow heads, track heat intake, trick flow stage cam 335hp to the rear wheels 12.04@113.4

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

If you're going to buy high $$$ heads, might as well buy a cam to match.
Big heads + small cam does work for upper rpm HP, but a nicer cam would give more low end TQ for a street car. Not to mention more average power under the curve.

Ed also sells PS (pure street) heads that are comparable in price to TEA, yet flow significantly better.

I don't think you need to spend that kind of $$$ though.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com