Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Turn Downs vs. Rear Exits (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Turn Downs vs. Rear Exits
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MustangSS:
Whoever thought I was going to take off the pipes and just have mufflers is an idiot that's why you lost 1.5 mph.

Once you have over 1,000 posts here and go to the track almost every weekend then you can start calling guys idiots. But for now, why don't we all call you the idiot for ripping on a guy that was just trying to help you and and knows about 30 times more about cars than you do.
Have a nice day [patriot]

Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
drew (yellow94gt) = far from an idiot, thats all i know, this guy knows his shit [worship]

-scott

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
MustangSS

Don't expect to get any help from anybody now. You just called Yellow94GT an idiot... This guy know's more about Mustangs then 95% of the people on here. I agree with 88GT with calling YOU the IDIOT!

Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not a smart move chief! LMFAO

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I went with the turndowns and shit is fucking great. Whoever thought I was going to take off the pipes and just have mufflers is an idiot that's why you lost 1.5 mph. You need something coming off the muffler. My car is loud as all hell inside and outside the car the only rattle I have is my e-brake button but that's been there ever since I got the flows. Performance wise I didn't feel much faster however it did feel like it got a little more jump off the line. I think it looks tight without the tips anyway and the sound is incredible. Currently I have a 100 shot of nos being hooked up. The guy gave me a deal...100 shot and turndowns for $350, how could you turn that offer down. It'll be finished tomorrow. My car will actually have decent speed now. [burnout]

Are you trying to say that you think a 4 inch long turn down after a muffler is going to make you a 15 RWHP difference?! [Roll Eyes]

I would say that it is safe to assume that your car is mostly stock, judging by the fact that it ran 15's the last time you had it at the track, [Roll Eyes] (read that from your post in the Drag Racing section). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that a mostly stock car without a free flowing intake tract can lose on the low end from an exhaust that flows too freely.

Basically, I have been where you are at. I have already made the mistakes you are making. If you don't want to heed my advice then fine. But ridiculing me for helping you is uncalled for.

BTW, good luck trying for the 13's. Just know that if you run a 14.0 it would have been at least 13.9 with tips [patriot]

[ October 13, 2002, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Yellow94GT ]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
99Red250
¯
Member # 1923

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99Red250  Ford pictures for 99Red250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I went with the turndowns and shit is fucking great. Whoever thought I was going to take off the pipes and just have mufflers is an idiot that's why you lost 1.5 mph. You need something coming off the muffler. My car is loud as all hell inside and outside the car the only rattle I have is my e-brake button but that's been there ever since I got the flows. Performance wise I didn't feel much faster however it did feel like it got a little more jump off the line. I think it looks tight without the tips anyway and the sound is incredible. Currently I have a 100 shot of nos being hooked up. The guy gave me a deal...100 shot and turndowns for $350, how could you turn that offer down. It'll be finished tomorrow. My car will actually have decent speed now. [burnout]

Why do you have to be so stupid [Confused]
For Christ sake i drive a Diesel and even know that a stock 5.0 needs back pressure to perform correctly
God this just goes to prove there are a lot of idiots driving around
BTW: you should listen to Yellow94GT he has forgotten more than you will ever know [patriot]

[ October 13, 2002, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: 99Red250 ]

--------------------
99 F-250 4X4
7.3 Turbo Diesel
Superchips programmer
8" Skyjacker Suspension lift
38" Thornbirds
Yeah its true I do drive where ever the hell i want on the road, Damn was that light red?

Posts: 127 | From: Placerville | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Drew's actually giving data to back up his claims. Not a, "it felt" faster or slower OPINION. He's a true racer and well respected for that. Also he's an excellent driver [worship]

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow94GT:
OK, I don't know how often any of you go to the track. But one week I got bored and pulled my tips off to polish them. While they were off the car I started it up to see how it sounded. The car felt like a damn dragster. All kinda of shaking and BS like that. You are all just thinking that your cars are louder w/o the tips. The reason for the increased noise is that the exhaust is hitting under the cockpit of the car! Outside the car it is actually not as loud.

Now, for those of you who say that it improves performance! LMFAO, the ONE time I took my car to the track w/o tips it was 1.5 MPH off the pace! I'm not saying that this is from lost HP, it could just be the lose of low end. But, none the less, it waws 1.5 MPH slower.

Be smart. Get tips.

JMO [patriot]

Damn, I took my tips off to save a few lbs last time I was at the track.... It would have been sweet to run 102.5 mph if I had my tips on [Big Grin]
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
Damn, I took my tips off to save a few lbs last time I was at the track.... It would have been sweet to run 102.5 mph if I had my tips on [Big Grin]

Pull the mud-flaps. [Big Grin] Probably gain a mph or 2. Less wind resistance right! [Wink]

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:

Pull the mud-flaps. [Big Grin] Probably gain a mph or 2. Less wind resistance right! [Wink]
LOL...those give the car character!
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0eyabs  Ford pictures for j0eyabs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
according to what flowmaster told me when i called them asking about some of their kits, they told me turndowns offer more HP and exhaust pipes all the way to the back offer less HP but more Torque.
Posts: 767 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was always told and I always thought that tips offer more torque while dumps offer more hp because they are more free flowing.

--------------------
Support our troops!

JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have an O/R H pipe, with 2 chamber flows. I had LX tail pipes, but since mine is a gt people gave me shit for it. I cut them off right after the axle. If I do cut it off right after the muffler, will it be ALOT louder?
I don't want it that loud, I hella like the sounds with tail pipes, haven't ever heard one dumped.

Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To have your car dumped you must cut off all piping that exits after the rear mufflers.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com