Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Turn Downs vs. Rear Exits (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Turn Downs vs. Rear Exits
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I currently have chrome rear exits which I think do look good. They still shine pretty well but no matter how good I clean them they still lose their shine over time. I hear turndowns will cause me to lose some back pressure and horsepower and even some power band. I know they will make the car loud as all hell with the off road H and the 2 chamer flows. So what do you think I should do? Leave the tips as is with the chrome 3 and 1/2" rolled tip quad exits in the rear or go with the turndowns despite all of the negative stories that surround them. [Confused]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Who ever told u that turndowns lose you hp......doesnt know what they are talking about. They in fact make more hp for your car. Why have your exaust travel another 3 feet to exit? Go with turndowns...and you will never go back. My 88 GT had shorty headers, off road h pipe, 2 chamber flows and turn downs and sounded bad ass, along with being bad ass, LOL Im changing to long tubes as of now though, but keeping my turn downs. Losing hp...thats like saying, putting an off road x pipe will make your car lose hp because u lose back pressure! Go with turndowns, gain hp, gain tq, and get a diff sound. Not to mention no more hassle of cleaning your tips!
Posts: 692 | From: San Ramon CA, | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Another vote for turndowns. I had some nice tail pipes out the rear of my 98, but was curious what mine would sound like with turndowns, and they are sick as PHUCK!!! BBK o/r H with 2 chambers, sounds schweeeet! [burnout]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i run my stang with shortys,o/r hpipe and 2 chambers flowbasterds...
ikcks so much ass ..it helps alot at the top end
power
only complant is its to damm loud..but a good loud [Razz] [burnout]

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The only thing I dont like about turn downs is exhaust smell coming into the car say when you are in the drive thru with the windows down. I'm actually going to put pipes on my car, never have had them before but dont care how lud my car is it really cant get any louder than it already is. Equal Length Headers, Off Road X-pipe, 1 Chamber Flows.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Turn downs are louder than tailpipes (rear exits [Big Grin] ) it is eaiser to work on your car with turndonwns though.
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rear exits

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

70chevellemuscle
¯
Member # 1743

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70chevellemuscle  Ford pictures for 70chevellemuscle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think you shuld go with turndowns..Its hella loader and i know i will never go back to tail pipes..The only problem is if u have a miss, then u really cant tell...with my car anyway

--------------------
"River City Chevelle"
>>>>Car Club<<<<
Mods:
2 chamber flowmaster exhaust system
Hokker Super Comp headers
Auto Meter monstar tack
15x10 crager SS rims w/ 295 drag radials
Holly 670cfm Street Avenger carb
Edelbrock Torker 2 manifold
H.E.I. Distributor

Soon to come:
383 w/435hp(give me about a year),
12 bolt posi rear end,
Island blue paint,
S/S hood w/working cowl,
and cam(dont know which one yet)

flatacid
¯
Member # 878

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for flatacid  Ford pictures for flatacid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i used to like my turn downs. i didn't think i would go back to pipes. well i hate turn downs. the sound is louder, but not a good louder. i have dynomax ultra flo's. and the smell doesn't bother me. i just liked the sound better with tips.

--------------------
89 mustang gt w/ t5

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you need to put turndowns on your car to make it sound ballsy, then you need more motor blowing into your exhaust. I went from turndowns to tails and back to turndowns(long story) and for a car with some motor that you actually drive, the turndowns are too obnoxious. I'm putting tails back on it. You do save weight, and tire and suspension clearance as well, with turndowns.
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dude I want pipes too but I want them straight out the back and that doesnt look goo with the stock gt bump and i'm not cutting no ghetto looking whole for the pipes to come out the back. So i'm going to get the cobra bumper and put pipes on. Itll be better for my car.

--------------------
Support our troops!

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cobra bumper with pipes out the back is the BEST!
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I feel the sam way I just need a little more cash.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Plus with the tail pipes I think it will cut down on the vibration and rattling which just gets annoying after a while.

--------------------
Support our troops!

JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used to have a quiet car with no rattles inside, I got dumps FUGGIN RATTLES EVERYWHERE!

And Yeah, currently I have some lx pipes out the back under my stock GT bumper, everyone tells me to cut them off, I want a cobra bumper TOO!

Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sic91sleeper:
Plus with the tail pipes I think it will cut down on the vibration and rattling which just gets annoying after a while.

This will definately happen. I switched to pipes out the back and the car got a lot smoother. Plus, the cobra bumper looks much better than the GT one i'd have to say [Wink]

Basically, if all you care about is loud exhaust then get turndowns.

Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OK, I don't know how often any of you go to the track. But one week I got bored and pulled my tips off to polish them. While they were off the car I started it up to see how it sounded. The car felt like a damn dragster. All kinda of shaking and BS like that. You are all just thinking that your cars are louder w/o the tips. The reason for the increased noise is that the exhaust is hitting under the cockpit of the car! Outside the car it is actually not as loud.

Now, for those of you who say that it improves performance! LMFAO, the ONE time I took my car to the track w/o tips it was 1.5 MPH off the pace! I'm not saying that this is from lost HP, it could just be the lose of low end. But, none the less, it waws 1.5 MPH slower.

Be smart. Get tips.

JMO [patriot]

[ October 10, 2002, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Yellow94GT ]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have bbk headers off-road h and 2 chambers and i love the sound of it. everybody complains about everything raddling but i dont get raddle at all (unless im just used to it) and when i have my windows up it isnt loud at all in my compartment. i think the new 4.6 sound good with tips like 00knightmears car his car sounds bad ass but thats what u get when u go with full bassani.

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i loved my dumped 1 chambers and my dumped 2 chamberd flows. and ill be using that same set up again. DUMPS ALL THE WAY!

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why not just use the stock setup with pipes and turndowns right before the rear bumper?

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Well becaue I want a Cobra Bumper and tail pipes out the back for looks.

--------------------
Support our troops!

JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Everybody gave me a bunch of shit for having LX tail pipes, so I just cut them off after the axle, Now I need some turndowns.
Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Why did you cut them after the axle. Did you let the pipe go up and over the rear axle? if so cut that piping off right out of the muffler.

--------------------
Support our troops!

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I went with the turndowns and shit is fucking great. Whoever thought I was going to take off the pipes and just have mufflers is an idiot that's why you lost 1.5 mph. You need something coming off the muffler. My car is loud as all hell inside and outside the car the only rattle I have is my e-brake button but that's been there ever since I got the flows. Performance wise I didn't feel much faster however it did feel like it got a little more jump off the line. I think it looks tight without the tips anyway and the sound is incredible. Currently I have a 100 shot of nos being hooked up. The guy gave me a deal...100 shot and turndowns for $350, how could you turn that offer down. It'll be finished tomorrow. My car will actually have decent speed now. [burnout]
Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SHKER  Ford pictures for 03SHKER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love my dumps. I didn't see any loss when I put 'em on. Sounds a helluva lot better too.

--------------------
chris@apexmotorsports.com
2555 Lafayette Blvd. Suite #122
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com