Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How to cure pinging? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: How to cure pinging?
MRBiggs
¯
Member # 513

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MRBiggs  Ford pictures for MRBiggs  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SVTKate:
This may be way out of line.. but have you cleaned your mass air flow sensor ?
It took MONTHS of troubleshooting my 95 GT to find what was causing the pinging and coughing.. I replaced the sensor, and it was incredible, like Jeykle & Hyde. Now I clean mine about every 6 months. Alcohol and a Q-Tip.. gently.

Thats not out of line at all....
I was reading this thread to see if anyone would mention this.
If you have a CAI or just a K&N filter try taking the MAS apart and cleaning it with a q-tip with a little rubbing alcohol on it. Just rub it very gently until you can see the metallic finish on the wire inside. Sounds crazy but it works.
My car did the same thing as yours for over a year until I tried this little simple fix on advice from a mechanic friend. So far it has worked for me and just about everybody else I advised. And the ones it didn't totally work for, it at least made the driveability better overall.
Try it before you throw your entire wallet at the car.
Also when you get ready to check your timing check the harmonic balancer and see if its coming apart. Thats a big problem for our cars at this stage in life and it will cause pinging as well.

--------------------
342 stroker, Windsor Sr. heads, Jay cam, TFS track heat

www.socalhorsepower.com

Posts: 300 | From: San Dimas, So. Cali GO LAKERS !! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Unregistered
¯
Member # 786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unregistered  Ford pictures for Unregistered    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MRBiggs:
quote:
Originally posted by SVTKate:
This may be way out of line.. but have you cleaned your mass air flow sensor ?
It took MONTHS of troubleshooting my 95 GT to find what was causing the pinging and coughing.. I replaced the sensor, and it was incredible, like Jeykle & Hyde. Now I clean mine about every 6 months. Alcohol and a Q-Tip.. gently.

Thats not out of line at all....
I was reading this thread to see if anyone would mention this.
If you have a CAI or just a K&N filter try taking the MAS apart and cleaning it with a q-tip with a little rubbing alcohol on it. Just rub it very gently until you can see the metallic finish on the wire inside. Sounds crazy but it works.
My car did the same thing as yours for over a year until I tried this little simple fix on advice from a mechanic friend. So far it has worked for me and just about everybody else I advised. And the ones it didn't totally work for, it at least made the driveability better overall.
Try it before you throw your entire wallet at the car.
Also when you get ready to check your timing check the harmonic balancer and see if its coming apart. Thats a big problem for our cars at this stage in life and it will cause pinging as well.

Thanks for your advice. I don't know about your car, but my car only has 37,000 miles on it.

--------------------
2001.5 Audi S4

Posts: 1785 | From: Livermore | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com