Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » ET Street Questions (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: ET Street Questions
5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Brian  Ford pictures for 5.0Brian    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are tubes needed for these? They are 26x10.5". Will this width fit on an 8 inch rim? Also, do I mount them and just take them to get balanced or what? And, do I need to screw them onto the rim (there are already holes on my rims for screws)?

(Should this be in the tech section? If so, sorry about that)

[ May 20, 2002, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: 5.0Brian ]

--------------------
Brian

---Rest In Peace Miles Werho-Dec. 8 2002---

Posts: 561 | From: Antioch, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no tubes needed at all, and you don't need screws by themselves. If screws, you need tubes.

8" rim is perfect for 26x10.5 ET Streets (they are 8.5" actual)

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Brian  Ford pictures for 5.0Brian    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds good, thanks. What about balancing?

--------------------
Brian

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get 'em balanced, but it's almost futile.
after a days running/burnouts/etc. the balance will be farked.

perhaps get them re-balanced every once in a while, it's the best you can do with a slick.

Chris_67_SC_408
¯
Member # 936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris_67_SC_408  Ford pictures for Chris_67_SC_408  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
no tubes needed at all, and you don't need screws by themselves. If screws, you need tubes.

8" rim is perfect for 26x10.5 ET Streets (they are 8.5" actual)

WHAT?????????????????????
If you're talking about M/T ET STREETS (which as far as I know are the only tires named ET STREET) then YES you NEED tubes. Since you HAVE to use tubes you might as well screw them to the wheels. You have to drill your own holes but I think the Mr Gasket kit somes with the correct drill bit.

Shade Tree, you say 8.5 is a perfect wheel width which is exactly what M/T recomends, so that means you have read correct info somewhere which makes me wonder how you could possibly miss the part that says, and I quote, "TUBES REQUIRED". ET STREETS aren't radials like drag radials (where tubes and screws are not necessary), they're still bias ply slicks with a soft sidewall. USE TUBES UNLESS YOU FEEL LIKE PUTTING AIR IN THEM EVERY 2 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 716 | From: San Mateo, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
imbroken
¯
Member # 165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for imbroken  Ford pictures for imbroken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a set of M/T E.T's w/ no tubes.. no problems here..
Posts: 1772 | From: Anaheim Hills, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

I disagree there Chris buddy, but that's ok, do whatever works for you.

I re-iterate my statement. If you run tubes you'll need screws as without you'll tear the valve stem off.

~ 80 passes in my ET Streets and zero problems so far.

If you were to use an ET Street as your daily driver tire (heh!), I'm sure tubes would keep the air from escaping.

In my application, I swap tires at the track and use a compressor to get the exact pressure I need for every pass. The amount of air that leaks in an hour is negligible.

But if you go to the Mickey Thompson web site, they recommend tubes for their tires and I'm sure they have their reasons for doing so.

Countless 1/4 racers in this country do it without any problems.

/me shrugs [worship]

Chris_67_SC_408
¯
Member # 936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris_67_SC_408  Ford pictures for Chris_67_SC_408  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
damn you guys are scaring me. Do you mind if I take a piss on your cars to help put out the fire when the bead jumps off the rim since they're not designed to hold any kind of air pressure???? Sure it hasn't happened yet but...

I did not see anywhere on their web site that says they're only recommended, it "suggests" a tube part # but that's only because you don't have to use M/T brand tubes. If you go to the tube section of their web site it clearly says "NOTE: Besides being required for air retention, M/T® Tubes will enhance the reaction time, increase stiffness and reduce sidewall shock and deflection whtn launching." (and yes they misspell the word when "whtn") REQUIRED . Pick up your Summit catalog and it clearly says in the M/T ad "TUBE REQUIRED" Mickey Thompson knows their product better than you so I'd listen to what they're saying. What you people are basically saying is that you don't NEED a condom but if you really want to be overly cautious then go ahead and use them.

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Hey more power to you. Reading really is fundamental. I'll let you know when I blow up my car and kill everyone at the track 'cause I'm not using tubes.
I've marked the tube/rim and they have yet to slip one iota.
Have you ever noticed that manufacturers err to the side of extreme caution to avoid product liability lawsuits? No? Ever read the side of a McDonald's styrofoam coffee cup?

/me happily motors down the road with no tubes [worship]

--------------------

Chris_67_SC_408
¯
Member # 936

Your motor needs to have a respectable amount of torque to make the wheel spin on the rim, obviously you have that problem solved. That's not really want I'm concerned about, what I'm concerned about is when you start getting a little loose side to side and as you're correcting.. OOPS, time for Chris to come put out the fire with his urine. The McD's cup says the shit inside is hot so don't pour it on your balls... do you pour it on your balls or do you keep it in the cup until you're ready to drink it?

Brian, if you dont want to spend $70 on tubes then go to Kragen and spend $15.

quote:
did you know their are people that use two spare tires for skinnies up front....
I don't think my 35 year old spare tire would be able to stay in one piece past 30 mph. I don't think i'll try either.
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0Brian:
Are tubes needed for these? They are 26x10.5". Will this width fit on an 8 inch rim? Also, do I mount them and just take them to get balanced or what? And, do I need to screw them onto the rim (there are already holes on my rims for screws)?

(Should this be in the tech section? If so, sorry about that)

No screws or tubes needed. As for balancing, they say to use the older "bubble" style balancer, but if you inflate it to 15ish psi and balance it, you should be fine.
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont worry about Chris_never_got_below_a_2.0_60_foot

He has never ran anything but pep boys futuras

NO TUBES.

5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Thanks to all for the replies, I went ahead and got them mounted and balanced without tubes. I tested them at the track and got 60 foots of 1.98 and 1.99 mainly with a 4500 RPM clutch drop. I need my gears to be put in to improve on that 60 ft I guess. It was very hot at the track, so I was running quite a bit slower than usual with several 13.8's at 98.5 mph with a 1.9 60 ft, so I'm guessing that's all it had for that hot air and gearing.

--------------------
Brian

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No tubes in my MT 28 x 10.5's but I do have rim screws. Two bits of advice for you; don't use the Moroso wheel rim screw kit, they are too long for most tire beads and will go through the bead. Also, don't follow the MT guide for locating the screws, specifically putting every other screw in at a 45 deg angle, most beads are not big enough and the screws will push the bead away and create leaks. Just my 2 cents.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

I just nailed a 1.67 60' with a 5 second burnout at Sears of all places. Obviously I have no idea what I'm talking about.

--------------------

Chris_67_SC_408
¯
Member # 936

Hey PunkINa_I_Don't_Even_Have_A_Car,

Shade-Tree, That's like bragging about putting a 500 shot on a stock bottom end. Yes it will be fast...

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey chris_the_cum_bucket

I have had plenty cars and I have one right now.

Why we lookin at a race?

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have used M\T's both ways and had never had problems. I have tubes in them now because, I am lazy and don't want to fill them up everyday, and from what I have seen and talked to people it helps yaw (is that how you spell it?) in the big end. Not running tubes also helps out in the rotating mass. It may free up a little power! I have even seen people use alternative gases to lighten up the rotating mass. But I highly doubt that anybody in this forum needs to worry about .01 on there 1/4 mile times! Have fun with your new tires!

Eric

--------------------
I like cars.

Chris_67_SC_408
¯
Member # 936

quote:
Originally posted by PunkINa5.SLOW:
Hey chris_the_cum_bucket

I have had plenty cars and I have one right now.

Why we lookin at a race?

Sure, all I ask is that you give me two weeks to get the parts and finish my new rear end.
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Sure. Do you mind if I put some nitrous on it to make it a fair race?

It is just a stock 5.0L right now.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

judging by his trap speeds, I'd keep the jug in the garage [Razz]

--------------------

Chris_67_SC_408
¯
Member # 936

Put whatever you want on it. Win, Lose, I don't really care, just so long as it's a good race. Just keep in mind that I can only trap 104 and I'm sure it won't change any with gears, traction and tuning. [Wink]

Only problem is that you have to wait a month now. [Mad]

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

I dont care.

Ive been wanting to race your punk ass every since that night you caught me with your mom and snapped those pics.

Now she wont put out for me. [Frown]

Im pissed.

If I grenade one more tranny trying to get this crack addict nitrous kit tuned then you will be the one waiting a month.

Homo.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

Chris_67_SC_408
¯
Member # 936

Now that she has pictures and batteries, she doesn't need you.

If I have to wait a month after making you wait a month then you might need more than just nitrous on a stock 302. Here is an idea, buy a Lentech.

--------------------
My sister runs 13s!!!
And your brother wants to eat her ass.

Chris_67_SC_408
¯
Member # 936

Oh and when we race I'll be rolling on my Hoosier Quick Time Pros (which are better than ET Streets because of their section/tread width ratio) WITH TUBES. [worship]

--------------------
My sister runs 13s!!!
And your brother wants to eat her ass.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com