Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » My car is shaking like a mother fuc*er

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: My car is shaking like a mother fuc*er
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneBadHatch  Ford pictures for OneBadHatch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anybody know why it could be shaking?? it feels like the engine is running really really ruff but i honestly have know idea. and when i punch it i can barely hold the stick it shakes so bad. somebody help me! i dont know what to do

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

Posts: 834 | From: Oceanside, CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Blu50Stang
CAFords OG
Member # 489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blu50Stang  Ford pictures for Blu50Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Runnin on all 8?

--------------------
Ross
'88 GT - 5.0&SF 4/04 | MM&FF 8/09 | MM&FF 79-93 Mustang Performance Cover 12/12
'17 GT350R

OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneBadHatch  Ford pictures for OneBadHatch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i think soo....i couldnt be 100% positive though

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check park plug wires make sure none are fried

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

Bentleycgt
¯
Member # 378

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bentleycgt  Ford pictures for Bentleycgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
could be in this 3 things,
spark plugs, spark plug wires, disconected fuel injecter.

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check the plugs first. i had the same problem...
and thats what it was [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check your harmonic balancer, make sure it hasn't spun.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
v8302stangs
¯
Member # 530

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v8302stangs  Ford pictures for v8302stangs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
Check your harmonic balancer, make sure it hasn't spun.

Yeah that's what I was going to say. Had the same problem.

--------------------
1995 GT 5.0
Mac Off-Road H pipe
00' Cobra R wheels
2 Chamber Flowmasters
3 MTX 10" subs

OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

where is the harmonic balancer? i cant find it in my repair book...is it called sometihng else?

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

Mipaz
Old School
Member # 386

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mipaz  Ford pictures for Mipaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Platinum Pony:
where is the harmonic balancer? i cant find it in my repair book...is it called sometihng else?

Crank pully.

--------------------
Wheels on the Vette go round and round.

Posts: 1700 | From: Over There | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Seriously check out the harmonic balancer....you will not like waht happens if it comes apart....I had this problem and needless to say it caused a bit of damage. Easy as hell to change and not very expensive for a new one. Hell if you must replace it, go with a nice fluidampr or something.

Jack

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
roseville5oh
¯
Member # 406

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for roseville5oh  Ford pictures for roseville5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by the50ho:
Seriously check out the harmonic balancer....you will not like waht happens if it comes apart....I had this problem and needless to say it caused a bit of damage. Easy as hell to change and not very expensive for a new one. Hell if you must replace it, go with a nice fluidampr or something.

Jack

This sounds like me back in october... Yeah, Jack remembers. Shaking got progressively worse. On afternoon, sitting in a drive thru, shut the car off so the people could hear, fired it back up and it felt like the car was going to rip itself apart. Got home, check the balancer and it had separated from the main body. Ordered a fluidampr and i couldn't have been happier. Basically, get under the car and see if you can spin the main weight of the balancer. (pictured below, sorry about the focus)

--------------------
'91 blue/gray GT -SOLD :(
'03 DRZ-400S
'76 GMC Truck - building
'92 Chevy k2500 454

MRBiggs
¯
Member # 513

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MRBiggs  Ford pictures for MRBiggs  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's a tell tale sign of a harmonic balancer gone really bad !!!

DO NOT PUNCH THE CAR UNTIL YOU REPLACE IT. In fact, park it until you replace it. You can snap the crank right in half.

Go with a Romac if you can get one local and have the 200+ bucks to buy it. If you need something for right now get a stock replacement from Autozone or Pep Boys. About 100 bucks.
I just replaced mine 2 weeks ago and even though mine never got as bad as your I know what they feel like when they go south.

Seriously, you don't want to delay replacing that unless you are looking to buy a whole new engine. Remember, that's ALL NEW, not rebuilding your stocker. If that crank snaps, it won't be pretty...
Go onto the Corral site and do a search for Harmonic balancers. There is a lot of info on how to install them too because this has been a very popular subject lately. There is also some pics of broken cranks that you can use as motivation. Good luck....

--------------------
342 stroker, Windsor Sr. heads, Jay cam, TFS track heat

www.socalhorsepower.com

Posts: 300 | From: San Dimas, So. Cali GO LAKERS !! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

how can i tell if its bad or good?

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There's 2 rings, an outer & an iner, conected by by rubber. If you can grab the outer ring & move it, it's bad.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

ok
i thnk that i get it...dammit i changed the spark plugs the cap and rotor and the wires hopeing it was that...it wasnt so well see

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check to make sure all of your spark plug wires are on the spark plugs all the way and make sure they are all hooked up to the right cylinders. Check a chiltons manual to double check your work.

--------------------
Support our troops!

OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

all looks good but its still shakin...were probably going to take it to ford today and get it checked

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

MRBiggs
¯
Member # 513

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MRBiggs  Ford pictures for MRBiggs  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Platinum Pony:
all looks good but its still shakin...were probably going to take it to ford today and get it checked

If you can feel the rubber slipping out of the back of the balancer... Its a goner.
If your car has about 100k on it, its probably needing to be replaced.
If you take it to Ford to have it checked,don't let them do it if its the balancer.....

Unless you like being bent over and ass-raped.

I'm sure you can find somebody on here that will do it cheap or help you do it yourself.

--------------------
342 stroker, Windsor Sr. heads, Jay cam, TFS track heat

www.socalhorsepower.com

Posts: 300 | From: San Dimas, So. Cali GO LAKERS !! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

well i found it the harmonic balencer went to shit...not to mention grinding away at a mettal part next to it. pulled it out the rubber was in 1/2 peice so. thanks you guys big help saved me a trip to the doc [Smile]

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com