Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Tech story: Testing stock air box+K&N vs Fenderwell cold air kit. (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tech story: Testing stock air box+K&N vs Fenderwell cold air kit.
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys, I found this well written tech story on stock air boxes with K&N stock replacement filters vs fenderwell cold air kits:

http://66.96.130.106/archives/2002/03/coldair/index.shtml

Proved what I (and many others) have thought all along [patriot]

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its alway nice to find out that i have wasted a good $150. thanks fo the info though, even though i could have used this about 5 months ago [Wink]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cobraman_1994:
its alway nice to find out that i have wasted a good $150. thanks fo the info though, even though i could have used this about 5 months ago [Wink]

Well you live in Roseville, shame on you for not track testing all your mods at Sac Raceway [Wink]
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah but what about the headlight ram-air? [worship]

edit: also, the temperature is but one part of the equation. airflow is the other, and as such, this article is inconclusive.

[ May 08, 2002, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: shade-tree ]

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
but they make cool "whooshy" noises

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well, atleast it looks neat [dance]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well they look good, free up space, and i believe they work better than the atricle states. They did try it on a stock car. It may pick up performance gains that cant be tested.

I also thought my car was more responsive if i push the pedal WOT lets say at like 60mph.

--------------------
Support our troops!

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the plug, Sawson! We always report the results of new parts testing- even when the results ain't so good!

1. The car was far from stock (wasn't mine). I believe it was tested w/ the Explorer intake/Holley heads/stock cam/3.55's/Trans Go'd AOD combo. I will find out the particulars and let you know.

2. It was tested on more than one trip to the track- back to back swaps each time.

3. If you call that inconclusive what do you need to actually believe our conclusion? The hole in the fender is larger than the diameter of the intake tubing- how is it a restriction if same type filters are used between the two tests?

JL

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sic91sleeper:
It may pick up performance gains that cant be tested.

Like what?
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
airflow figures or dyno numbers are conclusive.
I consider myself a consistent driver and I can vary by one to two tenths on a given pass myself.
otherwise, the only thing you've proven is that there is no significant temperature change.

I wouldn't expect a temp. change unless you were going through some kind of intercooler, or where somehow expanding the gas rapidly (per pv=rnt)

not saying it's useless information, but track testing a mod that at it's best is only giving a small handful of HP is anecdotal at best.

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So-
Track results are less important than dyno or flow-bench testing. Why bother going to the track? The temp was tested in direct response to the advertised benefits of the kit. They made a claim, we directly tested it. We posted the results. Prove us wrong.

JL

--------------------
'92 LX T5

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

v6mustanglover
¯
Member # 545

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v6mustanglover  Ford pictures for v6mustanglover  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow! Keeping my stock set up is the best performance mod I have done then. Is'nt that sad.

--------------------
Adam
2004 F150 Crew Cab
6" and 35's

67stang
¯
Member # 549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67stang  Ford pictures for 67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
airflow figures or dyno numbers are conclusive.
I consider myself a consistent driver and I can vary by one to two tenths on a given pass myself.
otherwise, the only thing you've proven is that there is no significant temperature change.

I wouldn't expect a temp. change unless you were going through some kind of intercooler, or where somehow expanding the gas rapidly (per pv=rnt)

not saying it's useless information, but track testing a mod that at it's best is only giving a small handful of HP is anecdotal at best.

Well first of all the article clearly states the purpose was to test the claims of "cold air kits"...not ram air. In that regard, temperature is THE variable to measure (since Moroso claims 15-20HP from the kit). Our objective was only to test and show that a cold air kit alone offers not gains over the stock air box, since both pick up air from the same point..hence the same temperature air.

Now you mentioned air flow. Well for all intents and purposes, putting the air filter in the fenderwell does not significantly change the air flow... we indirectly prove this by showing no gain in ET or mph, or reduction in temperature.

Finally, yes a dyno is conclusive...but not for measuring the effects of air induction systems (since the car is not moving!)

--A good point just put in my ear by Fasterdamnit: we did not mention in the article that the silencer was removed from the stock air box. However that lends further to our point that a "cold air" aftermarket system is not worth the investment.

We also stated very clearly that the effects of RAM air have been proven worthy, and we tested and showed this on a carbed car (search for the ram air article)

Stimson
_
Member # 51

For what its worth, here is the ram-air story:

http://66.96.130.106/archives/1999/12/ramairbox/index.shtml

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

that's pretty funny.
although it's semantics at this point, "cold-air' intake kits really make no claim to 'chill' the incoming air. Rather they imply they 'pull' ambient cool air from the fenderwell. Just like the stock air-box.

the rwhp gains make no claims to source from temperature as far as I know. They claim to improve airflow. I'm not making this up.

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

quote:
Originally posted by 67stang:

Finally, yes a dyno is conclusive...but not for measuring the effects of air induction systems (since the car is not moving!)

in other words, the dynos that Nascar, F1, and the like use do not exist right? More or less a windtunnel attached to a dyno.

granted, good luck getting time on one. But the fact is, they exist, and yes it is a dyno, and yes it would measure ram-air.
not that I'd ever bother of course. unless it was free. [Wink]

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

quote:
that's pretty funny.
although it's semantics at this point, "cold-air' intake kits really make no claim to 'chill' the incoming air. Rather they imply they 'pull' ambient cool air from the fenderwell. Just like the stock air-box.

the rwhp gains make no claims to source from temperature as far as I know. They claim to improve airflow. I'm not making this up.

after all, without expanding the gas or using a refrigerant and some kind of compressor, how in the heck could they claim to "cool" the air?
"cold-air" kit is merely descriptive. show me where they claim to cool the air beyond ambient temperatures. (I am aware they claim to avoid elevated underhood heat, that's not the same thing) [worship]

[ May 08, 2002, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: shade-tree ]

67stang
¯
Member # 549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67stang  Ford pictures for 67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
shade-tree,

I never said or believed that a cold air kit cools the air... not sure where you got that.

The cold-air kits have always implied that they gain power from picking up coldER air that the stock box. And sure, they probably purport to claim that the conical air filter and contoured elbow all aids is less restriction, more air...

The point is the claims or implications could not be substantiated.

--btw, nice try on the wind tunnel and dyno deal-- Let's face it 99.9% of enthusiasts like you and I measure the effects of things like ram air, slicks, weight reduction at the track or on the street. You dont go to the dyno, and you sure as hell dont even contemplate locating a wind tunnel.

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow good debate if you ask me.

but hey what do I know?? [Smile]

I wont get it on this one, but it is hard to shake Shade tree [Smile]

I like him for that reason.

I have my opinions on this one, but I have to keep them to myself here [Frown]

go get em [Smile]

Mipaz
Old School
Member # 386

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mipaz  Ford pictures for Mipaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ya shade tree always makes good points. but i think he is right but then sawson's article is right. i think it does nothing for a stock car. but for a pretty modded one it's efficient. but then why not just spend the extra few bux if it is even more expensive at all to just get the ram air kit.

good one Sawson..

--------------------
Wheels on the Vette go round and round.

Posts: 1700 | From: Over There | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
9cobrasnake9
CAFords OG
Member # 575

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasnake9  Ford pictures for 9cobrasnake9  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I put a cold air kit on my Cobra and ran it at the track. After that I took all the air induction off at the mass air meter. I ran the same mph within .5 mph. I was pretty convinced that my densercharger works very well. It had great SOTP improvement as well but I wanted track results.

--------------------
96 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

even swapping to a "short belt" to bypass the PS pump which takes an easy 5 HP to drive only gives 0.25-0.50 mph at the track.
pretty difficult to measure when the gains are that low. That's within driver error.
(thanks for the kind words above [Wink] )

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Here is what Moroso claims on their website-

quote:
High Flow Air Induction System Mustang 5.0

Making horsepower is as easy as replacing your Mustang's stock air cleaner assembly with Moroso's bolt-in High Flow Air Induction System.

More air means more power. In fact, our Mustang Induction System with its large, computer designed inlet duct and ultra-low restriction filter element flows 122% more air than the stock system. The result is an additional 11 horsepower for significantly lower 0-60 MPH and quarter mile ET's!

Increased air flow is only half the story. Unlike other designs that draw air from the hot engine compartment, Moroso's System positions the high-flow pleated filter element outside of the engine compartment between the fender panels — ingesting cooler, denser air for more power. And because it doesn't hang under the front bumper like "Ram Air" kits, your engine won't swallow road dirt and ground clearance isn't reduced.

Every component in our High Flow Air Induction System for 5.0L Mustangs is manufactured with superior materials and craftsmanship. From the rotationally-molded air inlet duct, to stainless steel clamps, competition-style filter element and bolt-in powder coated mounting plate, the quality of Moroso's Mustang Air Induction System is far superior to other brands. And despite the quality workmanship, premium materials and performance benefits, it's also priced lower than other Mustang kits!

Granted, we tested against a K&N Filter w/ silencer removed. The real question is- Is it worth spending $89 (Summit) on when the cheaper K&N yields similar results?

JL

--------------------
'92 LX T5

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

there are dyno results showing over 10 rwhp in certain N.A. applications. everyone should probably decide for themselves what they think is "worth it".
On an AOD stocker 5 liter is it worth it? Probably not.

AFM power pipes have been shown to be worth >20 rwhp on blown applications. And yes, it is a version of a cold-air intake.
Do I need one on my civic? again, probably not [Big Grin]

If all anyone ever cared about was $$$/HP we'd all be driving motorcycles. That, or our only mods on our cars would be slicks, gears, and nitrous. [Wink]

but what it sounds like I'm hearing is the following... "...these are the finding from our case study. You will submit to our interpretation..." [Big Grin]

I'd be the last to argue that you're getting a great bang for the buck with those $150 cold-air kits on a stocker. However, I will stand by the countless dyno results that show about a 2-5 HP gain on a stockish 5 liter. There's more power to be had the further from stock you get. Ever see the 4" (or larger) intakes the blower/turbo guys use? Or would you still figure the stock airbox is not a limitation? Of course not. All depends on the application.

or we could just cut the jib-jabbering and ask the dynoo operator at Apex. He probably has run the test and has hard data for dozens of cars. That wouldn't be too difficult would it? [worship]

[ May 09, 2002, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: shade-tree ]

Mipaz
Old School
Member # 386

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mipaz  Ford pictures for Mipaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
there are dyno results showing over 10 rwhp in certain N.A. applications. everyone should probably decide for themselves what they think is "worth it".
On an AOD stocker 5 liter is it worth it? Probably not.

AFM power pipes have been shown to be worth >20 rwhp on blown applications. And yes, it is a version of a cold-air intake.
Do I need one on my civic? again, probably not [Big Grin]

If all anyone ever cared about was $$$/HP we'd all be driving motorcycles. That, or our only mods on our cars would be slicks, gears, and nitrous. [Wink]

but what it sounds like I'm hearing is the following... "...these are the finding from our case study. You will submit to our interpretation..." [Big Grin]

I'd be the last to argue that you're getting a great bang for the buck with those $150 cold-air kits on a stocker. However, I will stand by the countless dyno results that show about a 2-5 HP gain on a stockish 5 liter. There's more power to be had the further from stock you get. Ever see the 4" (or larger) intakes the blower/turbo guys use? Or would you still figure the stock airbox is not a limitation? Of course not. All depends on the application.

or we could just cut the jib-jabbering and ask the dynoo operator at Apex. He probably has run the test and has hard data for dozens of cars. That wouldn't be too difficult would it? [worship]

exactly i mean when the engine is getting forced more air from a blower or turbo or even ram air. you neet to straighten air flow and allow the accesability to get more air. i mean a blower does not pull air out of its ass (ok well technically it does) it needs to get air from somewhere. that is where you start worrying about he efficience and flow of the induction system. on a stock you might see small with cold air cuz you are still giving a better path to the engine.

wow i love this topic [Razz]

--------------------
Wheels on the Vette go round and round.

Posts: 1700 | From: Over There | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com