Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » California Smog legal X or H pipe

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: California Smog legal X or H pipe
shawv
¯
Member # 1250

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for shawv  Ford pictures for shawv    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 2002 4.6L Mustang GT. I live in Northern California, (Bay Area).

[Confused] I already have the MagnaPack Catback system, and I want to get an X or H pipe with cats. (if it will pass smog)

If it won't pass sniffer or visual, and I have to drop the X pipe with cats out and replace it with the stock H pipe to get it to pass. I will get an off road Bassani, MagnaFlow, or BBK X or H pipe.

Can I get a legal H or X pipe in CA? If so what brand(s)?

If I can't, what is the best brand for performance and value in an X or H pipe?

Or, would it be better to keep the stock H pipe in and do some other mod? ie: gears etc.

Posts: 13 | From: Livermore, California | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you'll pass no problem with an aftermarket crossover pipe with cats... if you're somewhat stock at least

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bassani and BBK are always good reliable pipes. I would go with a high flow X pipe. They will pass smog.
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used a Bassani X-pipe with cats and passed smog fine. Because I put a 5.0 in a car which was originally a 2.3 turbo, the smog referee went over the thing with a fine toothed comb, and the Bassani passed both the visual and tail pipe. The Bassani stuff fits very well too.
Mipaz
Old School
Member # 386

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mipaz  Ford pictures for Mipaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you look at it like this. there are two types of inspections. visual and the meter shit. it may very well pass the meter but on visual with cats you will pass an off road you will not. UNLESS you got the hook up. [Cool]

--------------------
Wheels on the Vette go round and round.

Posts: 1700 | From: Over There | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
O.G. Cobra
¯
Member # 747

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for O.G. Cobra  Ford pictures for O.G. Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i think it also depends on the inspector. technically, you are not supposed to replace a functioning smog device. i called bassani one time to get the carb number for the x-pipe with cats and they said there is none and told me the above. i have been nervous about the smog test ever since (thus my registration has been expired since 7-01). one of these days i'll take it to a smog station. last time one inspector tripped off of my moroso cold air and wouldn't pass it. next one did.
WingnuT
¯
Member # 430

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WingnuT  Ford pictures for WingnuT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There are no smog legal X or H pipes w/cats in CA. The sniff test may pass, but unless you replace the pipe with one that has the same # of cats as the original, it will not pass the visual test. You may get lucky with an ignorant inspector, but that is up to you.

IE: 96-98 stangs have 6 CATS!!!
99-up I believe only have 4 cats.

Either way, the aftermarket pipes only have 2 cats. No pass.

I just said screw it and put an O/R X on mine. Since it wouldn't be legal anyway. Hope that this helps.

Posts: 136 | From: Scotts Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
saleen00925
¯
Member # 1302

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for saleen00925  Ford pictures for saleen00925  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
HERE IS THE DEAL, high flow cats will not pass smog if the attendant counts the # of cats, mustangs come with 4 and bassani and every high flow system I know of comes with 2. They will past the emissions test but not the visual test if it is done well. My advice.....if they start looking funny under the car take it somewhere else..only a few places actually check and then check the factory #. Also my advice.....keep your old pipes....they really aren't that hard to swap out to gurantee to pass smog..that way you can even get an off-road pipe and just switch them for smog. That is unless you get pulled over by a asshole cop and he looks under your car and doesn't see any cats..but that's unlikely and another story......late

--------------------
-Adam Cate
00' Saleen #00-925
3.55 Factory gears, 80mm MAF
13.7 @102mph
2 12" MTX 7000's pushin 1000W
[IMG]http://www.saleen00925.com/images/saleens3small.jpg[/IMG]
Saleen00925.com

Posts: 244 | From: Sacramento CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
y2kgt01
¯
Member # 1257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for y2kgt01  Ford pictures for y2kgt01    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
heres the real way to go........ get a bassani high flow x pipe, and have 2 additional dummy cats, like old gutted ones welded to the outside, that way it wont interfear with exhaust flow an dit will still pass the visual test
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by saleen00925:
HERE IS THE DEAL, high flow cats will not pass smog if the attendant counts the # of cats, mustangs come with 4 and bassani and every high flow system I know of comes with 2. They will past the emissions test but not the visual test if it is done well. My advice.....if they start looking funny under the car take it somewhere else..only a few places actually check and then check the factory #. Also my advice.....keep your old pipes....they really aren't that hard to swap out to gurantee to pass smog..that way you can even get an off-road pipe and just switch them for smog. That is unless you get pulled over by a asshole cop and he looks under your car and doesn't see any cats..but that's unlikely and another story......late

All mustangs do not come with 4. 87-93's come with four and 94-w/e come with six but the cobras and saleens come with 4 as well. Just a lil bit of info.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

quote:
Originally posted by saleen00925:

All mustangs do not come with 4. 87-93's come with four and 94-w/e come with six but the cobras and saleens come with 4 as well. Just a lil bit of info. [patriot]

--------------------
Support our troops!

saleen00925
¯
Member # 1302

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for saleen00925  Ford pictures for saleen00925  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sorry I didn't clarify I meant all new stock mustangs, like there was no difference depending on state or whatever.....I realize that some 98's and lower had 6 ect. sorry for the misunderstanding

--------------------
-Adam Cate
00' Saleen #00-925
3.55 Factory gears, 80mm MAF
13.7 @102mph
2 12" MTX 7000's pushin 1000W
[IMG]http://www.saleen00925.com/images/saleens3small.jpg[/IMG]
Saleen00925.com

Posts: 244 | From: Sacramento CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Its cool just clearfying so there is no confusion. [patriot]

--------------------
Support our troops!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com