Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Lost oil press while driving??? Did i hurt anything!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Lost oil press while driving??? Did i hurt anything!!!
UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UNLUCKIER  Ford pictures for UNLUCKIER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I completely lost oil press. I heard it tick a little then I shut it off in a hurry!!! What the hell happened ??? I guess i snapped my oil input shaft maybe or my oil pump gave out!!! Do you guys think I hurt anything ???? It did not tick very loud or anything....

B/M Hammer shifter
K/N Conical
B-cam
MSD billet distributor
Caspers throttle responce calibrator
C/L 76mm calibrated #19 injectors
300t ignition
FMS wires
BBK underdrive pulleys
BBk offroad h pipe
BBK equal length headers
2 chamber flomasters
Energy suspension motor/tranny mount
Ac Delete kit
3core radiator autozone special

--------------------
The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
AND YES THE RAMS FAN

Posts: 1023 | From: ODENTON MD | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ouch! Dude- you have surely pissed of the Horse Power Gods in light of your recent "successes". Any idea how long you were w/out pressure? The only sure way to know is to pull a bearing cap and rod cap and check those bearings. The oil pump drive shaft breaking is common- especially after modifications that increase power. I have done that myself. Saw it happen on the gauge and shut it down- still replaced the bearings and polished the crank one at a time. Much easier to do on a '65 than on a 5.0 'Stang. Good Luck!

ps- you can pull the oil filter- take it to California Street Machine and have Lance cut it open and look at it. He will tell you straight. Tell him I sent you.

JL

[ March 23, 2002: Message edited by: FasterDamnit ]

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UNLUCKIER  Ford pictures for UNLUCKIER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I shut it off as soon as I seen no oil press... I heard a little ticking I think... I guess i will do some calling around for a oil pump tommarrow!!!!
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you are going to crack the pan to do the pump at least remove one bearing cap and see what the bearing looks like.

JL

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

will do THANX JIM

--------------------
AND YES THE RAMS FAN

UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

WOOOO HOOO I got both of the things done Fuel pump/ high flow oil pump changed.... Total of 13 hours to do them both!!!!! I droped the rack and pinion to change the oil pump exc worked like a charm!!!! Me and a guy from my work did it.... Cruise here I come!!!!

--------------------
AND YES THE RAMS FAN

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ike, Glad to see everything is all right with the car. Do you want to meet somewhere Saturday and drive down to the cruise.

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sweet, so what happened? Shaft broke? Pump siezed?
UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

Pump seized causing the shaft to twist then snap into 2 pieces!!!!

Hey Mark that would be cool !!! Let me know what time you want to meet!!!!

66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 InjectedCobra  Ford pictures for 66 InjectedCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Glad to see your car is alright. I have had enough problems to last a life time, so I hate seeing others W/problems. I used a FMS "Ford Motor Sport" high volume pump and it workrd out well. What pump did you use?
Hey don't hate on AOD cars [worship]
If people would actually build them rite then they would not have all these problems. Mine has been great to me. I give it over 500hp every day too

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6389544

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Talk about a streak of bad luck you've been having with your car. Did you get a high pressure or high volume pump? Did you get a hardened shaft? Both of those pumps actually strain the shaft even more than the stock pump since they take more energy to turn.
UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

I used a high volume pump... Oil press is really good im at 50 at idle!!! I used the shaft that come with the pump I think its called milden I think its the best pump i could get on short notice

--------------------
AND YES THE RAMS FAN

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by IKE:
Oil press is really good im at 50 at idle!!!

what should oil pressure be with a stock pump at idle?

Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com