Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » drag radials for daily driver

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: drag radials for daily driver
flatacid
¯
Member # 878

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for flatacid  Ford pictures for flatacid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i was wondering if anyone runs dr's on a daily driver. i know there wouldn't be much wet weather traction but when its dry hows it grab? and do you have to heat them before they hook?

thanks.

--------------------
89 mustang gt w/ t5

imbroken
¯
Member # 165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for imbroken  Ford pictures for imbroken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Snake98Girl and I run them daily.. no problems.. and they've lasted several trips up to sac n back.. and plenty of track time...
Nitto 555R's

--------------------
I love you Amber! =)

Posts: 1772 | From: Anaheim Hills, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah do it, they can last 20k miles even with some burnouts. Nitto or BFG would be fine, just avoid the ET Streets for a street car

A nice set of 225-50-15 would make a nice sleeper set of tires.

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not do disagree with Matt and Christina, but I have not had very good sucess with nitto DR's and everyday driving, (may have to do with tire sizes). I'm running 315's and I can spin them at will if they are not hot. By that I mean HOT. It doesn't matter what DR's you choose you have do smoke the hell out of them to get the best results.

Don't get me wrong, I have had geat sucess with these tires at the track, (mid 1.8 60's on stock suspension). But it is time to step up to slicks and run normal radials on the street. BTW, DR's + H2O = BAD!....lol Good luck bro, Drew

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Spdfreak LS1
Board idiot
Member # 679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spdfreak LS1  Ford pictures for Spdfreak LS1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1sic98cobra is running them. he gunned it around a u turn and half way around they hooked and he went straight into the curb ($3000 damage). Once they heat up, they grab like a mofo.

--------------------
Juice times to come!!
http://www.thesiccrew.com/Kevin.html
http://www.geocities.com/kevtopgun/Z28.html
12.9 and 111mph traps on Street tires.
quote:
Originally posted by FireWhore:
..... nor do i care what any of u peeps think....or me for that matter....

Posts: 2202 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do not run ET streets everyday TRUST me!!!

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Tyrant89
¯
Member # 1033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrant89  Ford pictures for Tyrant89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had Nitto 555R's put on last spring. They were good at hooking when hot, and I got about 6000 miles from them. Thats with at least 20+ street and track runs.
I plan on trying the BFG's in a month or two...

BTW, how wide in the rears can I go on my 89, on a 16x8??

I have quad shocks still, when can these be taken out??

Posts: 260 | From: Salinas, holmes! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Both Kumho and Nitto are coming out with street/open track tires which they say can be driven to the track and raced on with good results. I ordered the Kumhos 3 weeks ago but they say it will still be a while before they are available. The Nittos are only available in one size at this point. I think either would be a LOT better than running DRs on the street.

Kumho Ecsta MX
Nitto NT555R II Extreme

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F8LPONY  Ford pictures for F8LPONY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run Nitto DR's 24/7, I have 275/40/17 and they actually last me quite a while. Somewhere around 8mo or so. I agree they don't hook well on the street but htey are WAY better than a normal street tire. I have no issues with wet weather and they do ok in the coners too. My best 60' on them is a 1.70 on stock suspension with Eibach Pro-Kit but then again my converter helps alot.
Posts: 1292 | From: Sacramento, CA. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  :
flatacid
¯
Member # 878

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for flatacid  Ford pictures for flatacid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1SicgrnGT:
1sic98cobra is running them. he gunned it around a u turn and half way around they hooked and he went straight into the curb ($3000 damage). Once they heat up, they grab like a mofo.

ouch. i don't even want to think about that.

well i have a set of ponys and turbines. im wondering what the widest tire i can get on a turbine is. i know nitto makes a dr that is 275/50/15 but will it fit? and turbines=sleeper.

im not sure how big you can go on 16 by 8's. i know 245 is the biggest for 16 by 7's.

--------------------
89 mustang gt w/ t5

88 5.0
¯
Member # 1030

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88 5.0  Ford pictures for 88 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
PunkINa5.SLOW

I have had ET Streets on my 88 5.0 for about 2 months and haven't had any problems. I drive my car every other day.

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah? Well wait until you get stuck in the rain.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Milesblown03
¯
Member # 27

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milesblown03  Ford pictures for Milesblown03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ive got the nitto 555r on my coug, and have no problems. Even in the wet, they do better than my old street tires. The problem is when the tread gets low, the y dont channel water at all, which = hydroplaning. As long as they have decent tread, should be ok for the street.

--------------------
99 honda 996 superhawk...
03 cobra:422rwhp,399rwtq (before pulley)
New best,12.07@119.9(!!)mph on nittos (cant drive to save my life!)

Posts: 1002 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
flatacid
¯
Member # 878

im only thinking about these for summer. they wouldn't be on in winter.
Milesblown03
¯
Member # 27

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milesblown03  Ford pictures for Milesblown03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Id say do it. I only seem to get 10k miles out of a set of rear tires anyway, because theyre always spinning. At least with DR's, you are at least gettin good traction for those 10k miles

--------------------
99 honda 996 superhawk...
03 cobra:422rwhp,399rwtq (before pulley)
New best,12.07@119.9(!!)mph on nittos (cant drive to save my life!)

Posts: 1002 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
flatacid
¯
Member # 878

they better stick with a treadwear of 100. im seeing 280 on my ecstas and getting no traction.

--------------------
89 mustang gt w/ t5

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com