Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » ATT: PunkNa5pointSlow

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: ATT: PunkNa5pointSlow
WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WANARNM  Ford pictures for WANARNM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Bro. I need some tips on installing a cam, timing chain and Harmonic balancer and oil pump. Can you help me out? Any help will be appreciated. Thanx in advance.

--------------------
89’ Hatch. Completely stock.

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you are installing an oil pump, might I kindly suggest you pull the motor and not attempt it with the motor in the car.

my $0.01 [worship]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WANARNM  Ford pictures for WANARNM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
if you are installing an oil pump, might I kindly suggest you pull the motor and not attempt it with the motor in the car.

my $0.01 [worship]

Yeah i got the motor on a pallet.

--------------------

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What brand of balancer?

I will be happy to do this for you while you watch if you want to bring the motor up.

I dont really have time to come down to San Jo and do this for you.

You will get all the tips you need watching me install for you.

I personally like to use the gasket between of the block and oil pump although I have seen it not used successfully.

As for the cam install use a long long long piece of bar stock and an old or the new camshaft gear.

Are you going to degree the cam in?

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

quote:
Originally posted by PunkINa5.SLOW:
What brand of balancer?

I will be happy to do this for you while you watch if you want to bring the motor up.

I dont really have time to come down to San Jo and do this for you.

You will get all the tips you need watching me install for you.

I personally like to use the gasket between of the block and oil pump although I have seen it not used successfully.

As for the cam install use a long long long piece of bar stock and an old or the new camshaft gear.

Are you going to degree the cam in?

i have no idea what degreeing the cam is.

is there a certin way in installing the cam or does it just go in straight up? Thanx.

--------------------

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can get away with just installing it, straight up.

The balancer can be a BITCH if it is a motorsport balancer but well worth the frustration

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 InjectedCobra  Ford pictures for 66 InjectedCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Where did the 331 come from?
If the cam is motorsport FRP,you can usually get away with just runing it on 0. I had my E303 cam degreed and it was exactly dead on. Jus my 2cents.
Oh how much did you pay for the motor and what internals are in it?

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6389544

WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

quote:
Originally posted by PunkINa5.SLOW:
You can get away with just installing it, straight up.

The balancer can be a BITCH if it is a motorsport balancer but well worth the frustration

Its not a Ford Motor Sport. its a Prob SFI Damnpner. 50oz.

What advantage do i get from Degreeing the cam. will the motor still run strong if i just install the cam in straight up??
Thanx.

--------------------

WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

quote:
Originally posted by 66 InjectedCobra:
Where did the 331 come from?
If the cam is motorsport FRP,you can usually get away with just runing it on 0. I had my E303 cam degreed and it was exactly dead on. Jus my 2cents.
Oh how much did you pay for the motor and what internals are in it?

lol..i payed too much. i could of gotten it for a few hundred less if i would of went somwhere else. but oh well.live and learn. the cam is not a ford motor sport it has a crazy lift. not sure of the duration.

Its from Prob racing. Its a Sportsman block with there 331 street fighter.

--------------------

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

That is a good little motor.

The balancer is a nice balancer too!

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

What advantage do i get from Degreeing the cam?will the motor still run strong if i just install the cam in straight up??
Thanx.

--------------------

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Degreeing just verifies the valve events. you will be fine.

I wouldnt worry about it.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com