Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » computer chip tuning

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: computer chip tuning
Stroked and Blown
¯
Member # 998

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for Stroked and Blown  Ford pictures for Stroked and Blown        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To anyone that has supercharged a fuel injected mustang:I've heard various things about bay area computer chip tuners. Has anyone's engine blown up because of a radical chip set-up? I've supercharged a 347 stroker and need advice from people that have dealt with RACE SYSTEMS ,Mustang Ranch, etc. before I decide where to go. Before and after Dyno numbers would be great. Thanks!!
ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
From what I have read its not the chip but they were pushing more power then the motor can handle. I'm sure you will get a lot of feed back on this one!

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
FELPRO Sequential w/WB02 $ 2962

If your combo is that serious.

Otherwise I heard Byron (RaceSystems) does a nice job of tuning.

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
People blow up with or "chips". Its almost always the drivers fault. Weather he got stingy with the fuel system, with the octane or with driving style (road racing a "street" tune on a blower car, ect).

As for what RWHP you can gain with a chip... its simple... it depends! It depends on how much your existing set up is off by. "Chips" don't 'add' any HP, they optimize the air fuel ratio and spark advance for the most power. If you're pretty optimized as-is, then there is probably little HP to be gained from a chip.

What 'chips' can really help in is with drivability problems, especially with large injector/MAF setups.

So whats your combo?

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think byron is a great help. When my car was N/A he burnt me a chip and I could tell the difference. Now my car is stroked and charged like yours and it was at the dyno a couple of weeks ago when I learned my fuel system was to small for my setup. So it was a big help because if I never went there I probably would have never known and blown the expensive engine I just built

The chip makes the car run better in my view. It lets the computer know what is going on and easier to start when using big injectors. My new setup consists of 50lb injectors so I can delete the stupid fmu.
Albert

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

Stroked and Blown
¯
Member # 998

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stroked and Blown  Ford pictures for Stroked and Blown        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here's my current modifications: Procharger P-1SC(10 lbs for now)with 3-core intercooler,8-rib conversion, 347 Stroker, gt-40XT "turbo-swirl" aluminum heads,1.72 FMS roller-rockers, E-303 cam, Moroso 7 Qt.pan,weiand water pump,MSD 6AL ignition, blaster 3 coil,centerforce clutch,hurst shifter,shorty headers, h-pipe, flowmasters,eibachs,190 LPH fuel pump, additional inline pump,48# injectors,75mm MAF, 70mm throttle body.Fmu is disconnected.ported Cobra upper and lower intake,Mallory adj. fuel press regulator. Timing set to 10 degrees BTDC(stock).Guages for fuel psi,boost,oil psi,and water temp. I probably forgot something. Fuel rails and lines coming soon with some BRAKES!!!
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would take a close look at that whole combo if I were you.

Just my .02

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Stroked and Blown
¯
Member # 998

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stroked and Blown  Ford pictures for Stroked and Blown        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just had the whole combo looked at. I only had 38# injectors at the time. They recommended the 48# inj. and a chip-dyno tune. Subframes are now welded in, torque boxes reinforced . (.I knew I would forget to include something.)
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Really?

They didnt say anything about the E cam and GT40s on a stroker motor?

They didnt say anything about the T rex and the 190?

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think for the 375ish RWHP this combo is going to make, the fuel system is plenty. With those 48lbs injectors, you will gain a lot better drivability and improved idle if www.racesystems.com tunes it.

Your combo could have made over 100 more RWHP easily for the same amount of money spent if better matching parts were chosen.

Stroked and Blown
¯
Member # 998

The part matching ended when I blew up my 302. I had the aluminum heads and the E-cam in it with plans to supercharge it when it let go(crank broke into two pieces). I couldn't afford to assemble a new motor AND buy better suited heads and a cam. I'll be happy with anything over 400RWHP. Damn moneypit!
66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 InjectedCobra  Ford pictures for 66 InjectedCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here's the thing. People that blow up their motor after chip tuning is mostly caused by too much power for the combo they are runing. 5150, I think your wrong about "the chip not addind power" It does optomize timing and fuel delivery, also makes easier driving too. However by opomizing those things, thats where the power is. Byron at racesystems got my car 125 more RWH then what I came in there with. To me that was added power? Even before that my car ran so fucking hard. So stroked and Blown, Byron at race systems is the best in my opinion. He can also find fuel system problems such as not big enough Injectors,pump,lines,rails,or fucked up regulator
Just my 2cents Bro.

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6389544

Stroked and Blown
¯
Member # 998

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to be sure about this. Hey " injected 66 Cobra", what did you pay for the chip and dyno tune?
Stimson
_
Member # 51

quote:
Originally posted by Stroked and Blown:
The part matching ended when I blew up my 302. I had the aluminum heads and the E-cam in it with plans to supercharge it when it let go(crank broke into two pieces). I couldn't afford to assemble a new motor AND buy better suited heads and a cam. I'll be happy with anything over 400RWHP. Damn moneypit!

What I was saying is that instead of spending money on the stroker kit, you could have sold your heads/intake/cam and gotten "better" ones for a 302 and made more power than your current combo. A stroker (more cubes) doesn't automaticly mean more HP, it means the *potential* for more HP is there. Put the same heads/intake/cam on a 302 and a 351 and you'll see the difference in peak power is very small. Your goal of 400 rwhp is doable, but it'll be *very* close. Do you have a power pipe on it already?

Stimson
_
Member # 51

quote:
Originally posted by 66 InjectedCobra:
Byron at racesystems got my car 125 more RWH then what I came in there with. To me that was added power?

Right, he optimized your existing setup. You left 125 rwhp on the table with a bad tune when you came in. He optimized what you had and picked up 125 rwhp. You could have picked up that same 125rwhp in your power band with a super FMU and timing light if you really wanted to.

66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 InjectedCobra  Ford pictures for 66 InjectedCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
5150, dont hate on Chips. They are the best tuning devices out there for the average racer. We all know FMU's arent consistant. Also a timing light will never let me change my timing curve and injector duty cycle. My power came from optomising timing and fuel delivery, shit that cant be done on a fuel injected engine very easily. Byron knows his shit and is not over priced. It's the best 600$ I ever spent on my car. I get better gas mileage and more power. Thats the best part. I know the durability is increased cause I'm not lean anymore. Well you know whats up.

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6389544

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com