Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 347 Stroker (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: 347 Stroker
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How many miles do these last and if i converted my 302 to a 347 how much would it cost and where can i get it done at?

This is a serious consideration by the end of the year for my 137,000 mile motor.

--------------------
Support our troops!

imbroken
¯
Member # 165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for imbroken  Ford pictures for imbroken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.347streetfighter.com/Individual/Home.htm

claims a solid 100,000 miles... and roughly around 300-500 hp depending on setup...

[ March 11, 2002: Message edited by: imbroken ]

--------------------
I love you Amber! =)

Posts: 1772 | From: Anaheim Hills, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thats what i heard too m(100,000 miles)
But how much to install and where?

Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
347 motors aren't made out to be that good they typicaly don't last that long they have to use small pistons that leads to problems. I would go with a 331 from dss makes a good kit. Just my opinion
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by gr40coupe:
347 motors aren't made out to be that good they typicaly don't last that long they have to use small pistons that leads to problems.

Can you site any local examples of this? 347's blow for the same reason *any* motor blows, people add a power adder yet have no concept of how much timing or how much of a fuel system they need to support that power.

91sleeper- It all depends on your budget and what your goals are.

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just got my 347 with an S-trim running and has been nothing but problems from running out of fuel by blowing the t-rex to not cooling enough from the radiator and all that bull. If you build a motor beware of how much you are going to spend after the motor is complete. The labor in my case is free but time consuming but you need a fuel system and all that bull to get it going right.

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

MikeySBF
¯
Member # 865

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MikeySBF  Ford pictures for MikeySBF  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well how much do you think it would cost for the full operation of it, i fancied this idea a while back, before i got my dodge, and it seemed like a good idea but after pricing it got way up there
Posts: 371 | From: East bay, cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have heard that the 347 "street fighter" company is not a reputable shop.

various quality complaints, from the assembler to the components used (their own machine/forging shop)

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You get what you pay for. The "street fighter" is probably Eagle junk that is made in China!If you have seen an eagle crank brand new out of the box you will know what I am talking about. Its just poor quaility stuff that is mass produced. They use the cheapest aftermarket "race" parts out there to make it affordable and slap a half ass machine job on it and sell it for under 3k. If you want to run a 347 than run it. If it is built right it will last.
imbroken
¯
Member # 165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for imbroken  Ford pictures for imbroken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree with the mass production stuff.. I'd rather see you spend the money and have it done right... take it to a local shop.. many people in here build motors as well... I'd probably talk to PunkInA5.SLOW heard he does some killer work....

--------------------
I love you Amber! =)

Posts: 1772 | From: Anaheim Hills, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah well thanks for all advice givers on here. I'm going to go with the 347 stroker probably for sure. Its a 10:1 so i dont think i will blow it up unless i put a blower on it which i'm not going to do. So i think it will all work out. I have the money i just need a reccomended shop. By the way its a daily driver and weekend warrior if u know what i mean. Please reccomend any shops please. How much do u think a reasonable price is for someone to install this for me?

--------------------
Support our troops!

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would definatly use Hutchison racing in Sac. If you would like there phone number e-mail me. They know there stuff and do GREAT work!
customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for customN2O  Ford pictures for customN2O  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Yeah well thanks for all advice givers on here. I'm going to go with the 347 stroker probably for sure. Its a 10:1 so i dont think i will blow it up unless i put a blower on it which i'm not going to do. So i think it will all work out. I have the money i just need a reccomended shop. By the way its a daily driver and weekend warrior if u know what i mean. Please reccomend any shops please. How much do u think a reasonable price is for someone to install this for me?
quote:

You dont need to buy a 347 "kit". Its just as cheap to buy the parts and build it. As for the pistons being too small, NOPE. I can build the motor for whatever hp level you want to eventually run. That means how much power adder you want to add to it later down the road. The parts in it will determine how strong it will be. And you say Eagle stuff is garbage? Maybe just depends on what you get from them. I just put an eagle 4340 crank in a 496 making 800 hp, and the crank was a very nice peice. It is a cheaper crank, so it doesnt have all the extras, but it was ground very nicely, and correct, and it didnt need alot of weight added to balance. Not saying there isnt better stuff out there, but for the price, I say its a winner.

--------------------
[img]http://www.zimmermanmotorsports.com/zimban2.gif[/img]

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 331 has a way better rod to stroke ratio.

You also dont have to clearance the block if you use I beams or ultra lights. The ultra lights are just as strong if not stronger than H beams and WAY lighter.

Food for thought.

I just put together an ultra light ROSS pistoned 331 kit with ACL bearings and the kit was 1300.

You cant buy the parts any cheaper than that.

Not with good rods and ROSS pistons.

armin4
Member # 994

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for armin4  Ford pictures for armin4    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is it possible to put a 331 or 347 in 98 mustangs engine bay?
yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Sure you could put a pushrod engine in a 1998.Anything is possible! But probably a lot of work would need to be done to do it!

Clearancing a block is very easy to do and does not take very long to do it if you have the right tools.But, Building a 331 would be cheaper and realistically you are not losing much in C.I. to make that big of a deal.

Hey Zimmerman do you have any examples of your work? What machine shop do you use? Or, do you own all of the machines?

--------------------
I like cars.

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Well heres my situation.
My 1991 gt stang has almost 138,000 miles on it and i was looking for a rebuild kit for it. But i want more power as well so if the price wasnt tooo high i wanted to put in a stroker kit. I'm not really sure which one but i want my motor to be rebuilt and have more power without any adders. I'm not sure which one or where to go to have it done at. What stroker kit do u think i should get, my car is a daily driver but a weekend warrior if u know what i mean. Thanks for the help and advice.

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

It all depends on how much money you want to spend.If you want E-mail me and we can talk.

--------------------
I like cars.

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For machine work I go to sheldust or morgans.

FYI.

Clearancing a block is not difficult at all if you want to do it yourself and not pay someone to do it, then it is free.

But remember that you have to mock up your motor assembly to clearance the block.

When you clearance there are shavings everywhere, even when notching the bores and it is hard to keep that crap out of the rotating assembly.

Also remember that a machine shop will just dip the parts and blow them out after they clearance if they get shavings in them.

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

I have referrences and such if that is what you want but I dont have time to build a stroker for you right now anyway.

Im just trying to help you with the questions you have. Not trying to sell you on a motor build.

I have built over 25 small block fords and there are 4 running right now if you want examples or something.

I dont build 9 second rides (not yet) nor do I have one but I have built 11 second motors.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for customN2O  Ford pictures for customN2O  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Hey Zimmerman do you have any examples of your work? What machine shop do you use? Or, do you own all of the machines?
quote:

The best example of my work is my own motor. A stock 1968 block, 358 cubic inch Chevy, with 23 deg standard runner heads. Single carb, cast intake, and a 300 shot of nitrous. Right now the car runs consistant 9.30s, breaking the converter about every 3 passes. It 1/8 miles at 123mph, with the broken converter. This is in a 3250 lb car, with a powerglide. The motor has never blown up, and has been running 9.50s for over 2 years now. Would have to say I have at least 60 passes on motor.
I do my own motors, including combos, and put togethers. I take my blocks to machine shops, and tell them what I want, then triple check everything they did till its the way I want it. The most recent time I went through the motor, I took it to Reggie Jacksons High Performance, and told John what I wanted done. I picked the motor up, and before assembly, checked everything out. I must say it was the nicest machine work I have seen in my days of building motors. Everything was exactly what I asked for, and the price is very competetive. What shop I take it to, really depends on how much time I have, and the price I want to pay. I have used local no name shops as well, and although it took them a couple times to get it right, once it was, it worked good.
I am in the process of building a 496 stroker BB chevy now, and that should be on the track this summer. Any more questions, just ask.

--------------------
[img]http://www.zimmermanmotorsports.com/zimban2.gif[/img]

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Well i was looking to spend some money like 3 grand on the motor at least and like some more to pay someone to install all the shit for me. I doont have the capabilities to do it myself although i do know how.

--------------------
Support our troops!

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
with 3000 good luck getting a good stroker I have almost twice that in my shortblock

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

3000 is pushing it to build a stroker motor the right way with nice heads and cam.

You figure the kit if you find a nice kit cheap is about 1300. There is at least 400 in block.

That is 1700

Then you take into account bearings/rings and such.

cam is about 200

New lifters are 100

pushrods are 70

Gaskets are from 50-120

heads if you buy cheap TFS (not good for a stroker)1000

balancer 250

Head bolts 70

Rockers 170

That is using all cheap crap

Well that is over 3000 and you havent paid anyone to assemble it.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

With 3k maybe you can buy a used motor or keep your shortblock the way it is. Put a rebuild on it and spend some money on a good set of heads and a bigger cam. And a good manifold. Then save your money for a shortblock.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com