Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Everyone Wondering about Spring Install

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Everyone Wondering about Spring Install
Zach281
¯
Member # 171

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zach281  Ford pictures for Zach281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just installed some lowering springs on my car. I am an amateur when it comes to auto mechanics, but I would say the difficulty of the install was fairly easy. The best advice I can give is to have someone help you out, I had 2 friends helping me and I couldn't have done it without them. Also, don't try using the spring compressor, it is a waste of time. Just get the Tie Rod puller and you'll be fine. So anyone thinking about getting a shop to install some springs for you, I would reccomend that you do it yourself, it will be fun and you'll save yourself a hundred bucks or so.

FYI - The springs I installed were the Steeda Sport Springs. They lowered the car about 1.25" all around. It looks about a hundred times better than stock, but I think I would go just a little lower if I had to do it again. I'll post some before and after pics in a few days after they settle.

[ March 08, 2002: Message edited by: 94RedGT ]

--------------------
- 99 Cobra - Rio Red - Convertible -

- 94 Red GT - Sold 02/26/03 -

Posts: 361 | From: Rocklin, CA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
Hemi Ted
¯
Member # 478

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hemi Ted  Ford pictures for Hemi Ted    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I recently figured that one out too!!
LOL!

--------------------
2005 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
2003 Suzuki Hayabusa
Anniversary Edition
"Thats Mr. Great Pumpkin to you!"

Posts: 2601 | From: Tomball, TX | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
imbroken
¯
Member # 165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for imbroken  Ford pictures for imbroken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you dont need a compressor.. you just use the jack to compress the spring into place... easy..

--------------------
I love you Amber! =)

Posts: 1772 | From: Anaheim Hills, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
imbroken
¯
Member # 165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for imbroken  Ford pictures for imbroken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BTW red 94.. did you remove the spring isolators? that will give you almost 1/2 up front and 1/4 in the rear

--------------------
I love you Amber! =)

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ted you didnt install front springs. A little more pain than thought.

Also have you guys ever put a STOCK mustang spring in?

It is a bitch.

So are SOME progressive rate springs.

Zach281
¯
Member # 171

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zach281  Ford pictures for Zach281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No I didn't, what exactly are the spring isolators?

--------------------

imbroken
¯
Member # 165

the spring isolators are the "rubber" material that goes between the a-arms.. and the rear control arms... isolating the metal on metal connection between the spring and the a-arm/control arms...

--------------------
I love you Amber! =)

Zach281
¯
Member # 171

Ahh, yes. I left them in because I heard that the ride would become more rough, and that the springs could devlop a squeak. Is that really true, or should I have removed them?

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com