Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Steering wheel shakes from side to side...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Steering wheel shakes from side to side...
Javier
¯
Member # 547

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Javier  Ford pictures for Javier    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My sisters 98 V-6 stang steering wheel shakes from side to side while driving.... the car has been lowered and has 18 rims....I dont know if this would cause a problem...

thanx

[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: javier ]

VortechSaleen
¯
Member # 316

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VortechSaleen  Ford pictures for VortechSaleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are the rims brand new?...usually after stepping up to a bigger size you'll need a re-alignment. My guess is the wheels in the front weren't balanced properly. Whoever put them on....take it back and have them checked.
Posts: 837 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Javier
¯
Member # 547

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Javier  Ford pictures for Javier    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The rims and tires were new....... would having 275's in the front cause this problem..... And my sister still hasnt got an alingment yet...

[Worship] Javier

96WhiteSnake
¯
Member # 229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96WhiteSnake  Ford pictures for 96WhiteSnake  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
then all she needs is an alignment......275's up front wont cause this, theyll just rub when you crank the wheel, but that's it

--------------------
-Robb
Currently ridin a-
***80 Gray RX7
OLD Rides
*96 White Cobra, black int
*93 Black 5.0, black top & int
*89 White 5.0, black top & gray int

Posts: 402 | From: San Jo/ SLO | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :
VortechSaleen
¯
Member # 316

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VortechSaleen  Ford pictures for VortechSaleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ya, get the alignment and have them balanced as well. I'm pretty sure you just need those two. Another possibility is if you bought the rims second hand. People sometimes forget to include those little plastic "filler" pieces (sometimes shops don't use them either). Not spacers, I can't think of the exact name, but their shaped in a ring and are either plastic or metal. Alot of aftermarket rims may fit correctly since the lugs line up, but there stil might be "play" in between the lug opening and wheel stud allowing the rims to still move around....that's where those fillers come in.
Posts: 837 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Javier
¯
Member # 547

The rims were new..... and the tires dont rub at all.... and its lowered 1 1/2..... My sister tells me that she feels it more on the freeway...or when driving faster then 40 mph....

[Worship] Javier

imbroken
¯
Member # 165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for imbroken  Ford pictures for imbroken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey, alignment is probably #1... also.. does it shake when she brakes? More than it does any other time? If so.. she made need to get the rotors re-surfaced.. might want to run that by too...

--------------------
I love you Amber! =)

Posts: 1772 | From: Anaheim Hills, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
v6mustanglover
¯
Member # 545

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v6mustanglover  Ford pictures for v6mustanglover  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Her problem is the 15" L7's in the trunk.

--------------------
Adam
2004 F150 Crew Cab
6" and 35's

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com