Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Walbro Intank confussion. Please help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Walbro Intank confussion. Please help
Bryan
Member # 966

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Bryan  Ford pictures for Bryan    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys. Im new here from the Corral. Nobody over there seems to be of much help, so hopefully here will be better. Anyway, I just recieved my ATI P1. I baught it used and the guy kept the pump. I ordered the Walbro 342 intank fuel pump. After talking to Danny, he said that the 342 was the way to go. Alot of people seem to disagee. Brothers says just to screw it and go with the inline pump. Hmmm. Also, I spoke with one of Don Walsh Jr. reps in Michigan, and he was telling me that I would have to do alot of "finessing" to get the intank 342 in. I didnt catch everything he was saying, but he was talking about how I would have to custom grind parts of it off, and shim it up .180 thousandths. Anyway, if there is anybody who has been down this road, can you please advise me accordingly?? I was hoping that the new fuel pump would be a simple direct replacement. From what Ive been hearing, that is not the case. Please let me know what you all think. . .

--------------------
Rio Red 1999 GT 5 speed
Limoed out
Nice Sounds (too much to list)
FRPP 4.10
Pro 5.0
Steeda Underdrives
Mac Catted H
Spin Tech
ATI P1SC in garage!!!

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
If you can get the money the best thing for you to do is to swap out to a return style fuel system. If you cannot get the money the GSS342 will do the job but for a supercharged car the Retrunless style fuel system is not the best for many reasons. The GSS342 will fit> if the guy that you are talking to says to bore out the hole a little bit I have never done that> In the Vortech manual it simply tells you to just put in a couple of cuts to make the pump fit. It is not hard to do. Vortech Saleen on this board is awaiting a return style fuel system from APEX performance here in Santa Clara> that may be the way to go or there is a guy in Florida that has a system available right now and that is Jade performance. What injectors are you running? What MAF? To fit the 342 there is no shimming or> it is just a little larger than stock and you have to make it fit. Brothers performance told you to do the inline pump??????I dont think that you can do that yet unless they are talking about the boost a pump? That is operated by a hobbs swith> which I have been told IS NOT GOOD! The reason being is because the hobbs switch will turn the pump on when it sees 3 psi. (or whatever its set at) of boost> when it comes on> because no one has come out with an electronic pressure control box yet> the fuel pump will come on full pressure> which can spike your fuel presure clear up to 120psi.+! That can blow your fuel rails and/or the sensor inside of your fuel rail.
Hope this helps!
Is there anything else that I can help you out with bud? Let me know

--------------------
----------------------------------
Faster than most, slower than less.

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok this is more a question for harold or anyone that may know, the boost pump that comes with the vortech kit is that what you are talking about running off of a hobbs switch?

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The boost a pump that I am reffering to is the Kenny brown boost a pump. Last I heard that is the only one that is available? With the 98 and older cars that had return style fuel system> the second pump is no problem> like the Vortech inline pumps are great!> but not for a reuturnless car.
Hope this helps!

--------------------

VortechSaleen
¯
Member # 316

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VortechSaleen  Ford pictures for VortechSaleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Harold, what's up!....any news on the Cobra? About Apex's return style prototype....1st trial run on the dyno is tomorrow I think. That "other" prototype we talked about is also gonna be on the same car I'll be there to watch.
Posts: 837 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

VortechSaleen> sweet> sounds good> Hopefully the APEX fuel system is going to tune ok. I may pick up the car today> not sure yet> waiting to hear back from Robert> I guess he in a meeting
Anyway> whats next for your car bud? fuel system then built motor?

--------------------

VortechSaleen
¯
Member # 316

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VortechSaleen  Ford pictures for VortechSaleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My brakes are waiting to be installed so that's up next. Ya, then definitely the fuel system as soon as Apex is solid with their design. Engine rebuild is up next as soon as stock moves

These past couple of weeks I was actually looking into a new daily driver...probably a truck/jeep of some sort. I'm kinda getting tired of the plane/boring daily driver...need something fun! I like Jeep Wranglers alot but I maybe need something that can also tow the Saleen. Any suggestions?

[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: VortechSaleen ]

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by VortechSaleen:
My brakes are waiting to be installed so

are the ones that are on the car now still good and if so what are you gonna do with them?

[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: ihatethesesns ]

--------------------

VortechSaleen
¯
Member # 316

quote:
Originally posted by ihatethesesns:

are the ones that are on the car now still good and if so what are you gonna do with them?

[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: ihatethesesns ]

Sure....8000 miles on them, mostly freeway since the cars is mostly used only for cruises and shows. I was going to put them on eBay but thinking twice about the shipping/boxing hassle. Let me know if your interested, I'm still laggin' on putting the new one's on...I still didn't figure out a price either.

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

quote:
Originally posted by VortechSaleen:

Sure....8000 miles on them, mostly freeway since the cars is mostly used only for cruises and shows. I was going to put them on eBay but thinking twice about the shipping/boxing hassle. Let me know if your interested, I'm still laggin' on putting the new one's on...I still didn't figure out a price either.

ok I will email from my aol name. I'm kinda strapped for cash right now so we'll see, maybe we can work something out cuz i would really like to change these brakes.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com