Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Lowering my Car

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Lowering my Car
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What should I do. Sportline or Progressive? I'll also be doing the caster/camber plates. Do I need to do shocks and struts or are the stock ones good enough.

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
GTChink
¯
Member # 293

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GTChink  Ford pictures for GTChink    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You might as well change the struts/shocks all at once to save time...or if you are short on cash, your stock struts/shocks will last a little since yours is only a 2001.
I had to replace my stock ones (48,000miles)after I installed FMS C-springs..so I got the Tokico Premiums..$300.

--------------------
1999 GT Twin Screwedsold.

Posts: 477 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Eric '01 GT
Member # 830

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric '01 GT  Ford pictures for Eric '01 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by bunchmyfunky:
What should I do. Sportline or Progressive? I'll also be doing the caster/camber plates. Do I need to do shocks and struts or are the stock ones good enough.

If you go with the Pro Kit, your stock ones should work out okay. If you choose the Sportlines, it would be a very good idea to change your shocks/struts at the same time cause you'll thank yourself doing so later on.

--------------------
2001 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium 5spd

MAC SS Flowpaths, Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Pro 5.0 w/ Steeda handle, H&R Super Sports w/ Bilsteins,
K&N w/o air silencer, CDC Sequential Taillights, Removed Spoiler

Posts: 6 | From: Union City, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you looked into H&R springs? They are really nice! Maybe its just me but I'm starting to see more poeple on here with them. I am not sure if they are better then the sportlines but it was just a thought. If anyone knows which are better please do tell me cuz I would like to know.

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

MRBiggs
¯
Member # 513

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MRBiggs  Ford pictures for MRBiggs  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ihatethesesns:
Have you looked into H&R springs? They are really nice! Maybe its just me but I'm starting to see more poeple on here with them. I am not sure if they are better then the sportlines but it was just a thought. If anyone knows which are better please do tell me cuz I would like to know.

They are both good springs, but if you are concerned with handling more than looks you would do well with the H&R's. I have the Race springs and they ride great and I still have crappy ass stock struts and shocks even though they need to be replaced. The rates of the springs is what makes or breaks a set of lowering springs. The rates on the Eibachs are just a bit higher than stock which is ok if you don't mind it riding like just stock.
It will handle a little better but that is mostly because the car is at a lower ride height with a lower center of gravity.
But if you are gonna be trying to rip canyons and stuff go with H&R's... The H&R springs have rates much higher than stock which actually smoothes the ride.
You will need better shocks or struts with them, and the C/C plates are optional but you won't regret getting these springs.

--------------------
342 stroker, Windsor Sr. heads, Jay cam, TFS track heat

www.socalhorsepower.com

Posts: 300 | From: San Dimas, So. Cali GO LAKERS !! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
lowerd96
¯
Member # 515

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lowerd96  Ford pictures for lowerd96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm so happy with my griggs setup. Check out the web page for all their options. www.griggsracing.com. They make really top notch stuff.

--------------------
2002 F-350, Standard Cab, XLT, Power Stroke Diesel, 4x4, 6 speed....4" exhaust, 80 hp chip...

1988 Bronco, 351W, C6, 6inch lift, 36 Swamper TSL's, 35 spline 9 inch rear, disk brakes, Detroit Locker, ARB Air Locker Front, 4:10's, 8 point cage.

1981 Toyota SR5 Longbed, 22re, 5spd, Marlin Crawler Dual Cases, 4.88 high pinions w/ detroits f/r, High Steer, 5 inch Alcan's, 33 Swamper TSL's....

01YellowCobra
¯
Member # 600

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 01YellowCobra  Ford pictures for 01YellowCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by lowerd96:
I'm so happy with my griggs setup.

I went to APEX this afternoon to set-up an appointment for an install of subframe connectors & coil-overs. Everything seems to be what you have, except for the tubular Lower Control Arms (which I didn't know would work with the factory k-member). I'm wondering why you chose this option and if you feel this is a needed component or rather, would recommend this for good/great handling. I'm pretty new to this mod stuff - and I would like to do it right the first time, instead of regretting that I didn't get the LCAs while I was at it.

[ February 27, 2002: Message edited by: YellowSnake ]

Bullitt208
¯
Member # 441

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bullitt208  Ford pictures for Bullitt208    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
2nd vote for Griggs racing!

You'll only have to do this once if you go with the Griggs setup. Spend the money and do it right the first time!

If you need convincing go for a ride in a car equipped with a Griggs suspension.

Eric

Posts: 297 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
2nd vote for Griggs racing!
You'll only have to do this once if you go with the Griggs setup. Spend the money and do it right the first time!

If you need convincing go for a ride in a car equipped with a Griggs suspension.

Eric

That would be nice to do but I don't have that kinda cash. I'll be going to Les Schwab Tires 90 days same as cash

Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Look Into H&R you will be happy. I would love to have all griggs to but the damn price. I am about to start saving for the coil kit. Does griggs make a strut brace? I havent been on there site in awhile or who makes a good one for a 97 gt?

--------------------

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by bunchmyfunky:

That would be nice to do but I don't have that kinda cash. I'll be going to Les Schwab Tires 90 days same as cash

Les is cheap in Vacaville, they did my car, i got the Pro kit, they charged me around 400 for everything, along with alignment, then after about a month, you take it back for a retorque and alignment, no charge... But if you got same as cash, might as well get all new shocks and struts, go all out... [Bling Bling] [Bling Bling]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

lowerd96
¯
Member # 515

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lowerd96  Ford pictures for lowerd96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The control arms I have are the lower set for the rear. http://www.griggsracing.com/ART/boxedlca.jpg
They help out a bunch with launching and keep the rear really flat when cornering hard. I had them put on a few months ago when I got my tires, I think Apex had them in in about 30 mintues, so if you decide to do it later it's not that big of a deal, but its a very nice addition. I was new at this too and I talked to Bill with some of my ideas, and he helped me out and got me going in the right direction, told me what works and what doesn't, and didn't sell me anything I didn't need. I'm sure he's got a good list of parts for you, and you could build from there!

--------------------
2002 F-350, Standard Cab, XLT, Power Stroke Diesel, 4x4, 6 speed....4" exhaust, 80 hp chip...

1988 Bronco, 351W, C6, 6inch lift, 36 Swamper TSL's, 35 spline 9 inch rear, disk brakes, Detroit Locker, ARB Air Locker Front, 4:10's, 8 point cage.

1981 Toyota SR5 Longbed, 22re, 5spd, Marlin Crawler Dual Cases, 4.88 high pinions w/ detroits f/r, High Steer, 5 inch Alcan's, 33 Swamper TSL's....

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

quote:
The control arms I have are the lower set for the rear. http://www.griggsracing.com/ART/boxedlca.jpg
They help out a bunch with launching and keep the rear really flat when cornering hard. I had them put on a few months ago when I got my tires, I think Apex had them in in about 30 mintues, so if you decide to do it later it's not that big of a deal, but its a very nice addition. I was new at this too and I talked to Bill with some of my ideas, and he helped me out and got me going in the right direction, told me what works and what doesn't, and didn't sell me anything I didn't need. I'm sure he's got a good list of parts for you, and you could build from there!

whats up bro I really would like to go for a ride in your car and check out the suspension. I have tried to im you but you never send anything back. what was the frist griggs parts did you go with? I want to do something but not sure what yet.

--------------------

lowerd96
¯
Member # 515

Sorry man!!!! Everytime I leave work I forget to close my IM so by the time I get it in the morning its too late to send you one back! I'll take you for a ride anytime, just let me know when you want to go! drop me an
e-mail ...lokey@recurrent.com. Later!

--------------------

Bentleycgt
¯
Member # 378

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bentleycgt  Ford pictures for Bentleycgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go with sport line becouse i got pro kit, but its now low enough

--------------------
98 mustang cobra black

01YellowCobra
¯
Member # 600

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 01YellowCobra  Ford pictures for 01YellowCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I have that nasty IRS thing goin, so the LCAs for the rear don't seem to be an option in my case - only the Delrin Rear Control Arm Bushings & maybe Paul's IRS Pinion Support Brace. So besides replacing some on the bushings, gears, and new half-shafts I'm pretty limited to what I can do back there until the day comes when it's time to swap the IRS out for a live axle.

Bill was cool - actually talked me out of one thing 'cause I didn't really need it right now (subframe connector full frame kit). He's got my business - he was very up-front about everything. I think I'll go with the original game plan for now - Griggs seems to be a nice way to go from the sounds of it.

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

quote:
Originally posted by YellowSnake:

Thanks for the suggestions. I have that nasty IRS thing goin, so the LCAs for the rear don't seem to be an option in my case - only the Delrin Rear Control Arm Bushings & maybe Paul's IRS Pinion Support Brace. So besides replacing some on the bushings, gears, and new half-shafts I'm pretty limited to what I can do back there until the day comes when it's time to swap the IRS out for a live axle.

Bill was cool - actually talked me out of one thing 'cause I didn't really need it right now (subframe connector full frame kit). He's got my business - he was very up-front about everything. I think I'll go with the original game plan for now - Griggs seems to be a nice way to go from the sounds of it.

Hey mark are you the one that is always parked on second st in town? The one i am thinking of i thought was a cobra but i could be wrong???

--------------------

01YellowCobra
¯
Member # 600

quote:

Hey mark are you the one that is always parked on second st in town? The one i am thinking of i thought was a cobra but i could be wrong???

Sorry man, I don't think that was me. My ride is pretty distinctive - so if it looked like this.....

Then it was me - if not then it must have been some poser . I live close to Granada High, but keep the beast in the garage most of the time so I kinda doubt it was mine.

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

nope it was not you. dont think i have seen you. if you go down second street its always there. i like the paint job on it. I think a older lady drives it and works over there. well anyhow well maybe Ill see you around though, you'll hear the whine come from a black 97 gt when you see me.

--------------------

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yellowsnake your from Livermore? After you have the coil-overs done hit me up, I am curious how they ride, and how the mount in the back. I live in town too, by the bowling alley. Just private message me.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
01YellowCobra
¯
Member # 600

quote:
nope it was not you. dont think i have seen you. if you go down second street its always there. i like the paint job on it. I think a older lady drives it and works over there. well anyhow well maybe Ill see you around though, you'll hear the whine come from a black 97 gt when you see me.

Yeah, the last gtg was scheduled when my ride is in the shop gettin the stripes, and the one later this month.... well, that's when it'll be at APEX getting the suspension work done. After that, I'm gonna just enjoy the car for the next few months (also this mod stuff is awefully god damn expensive , my wallet needs a break too). I usually work weekends & Friday night, so it's not likly I'll see you around town when most of you guys are havin' fun.... but me or my ole lady will be out and about sometimes. We'll keep a sharp eye and ear out for the GT that could smoke my ass .

I'll make the next gtg after this one - looking forward to it.

BTW: I gotta laugh at your comment about the "older lady". I'm no youngster myself cheif (44). But we all do share something in common - the thrill of accelleration is a strong drug . I've rode in WWII fighter aircraft and even a T-28 jet trainer, and there is nothing that compares to the thrill of 8 cylinders churnin' at full song plastering your ass to the seat of a fast ride. Guess I'm just a hopeless case.

[ March 02, 2002: Message edited by: YellowSnake ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com