Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » First Step Exhaust Mod?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: First Step Exhaust Mod?
BluStang2001
¯
Member # 626

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluStang2001  Ford pictures for BluStang2001    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
After hearing all of you drive off at the meet last Sunday, I've realized it's time I do something about my stock exhaust.

My intention is to go with the Bassani X-pipe and Magnaflow cat-back, but I can't really afford to do it all at once. Does it make sense to do the cat-back first? Any downside to doing the exhaust 1 piece at a time?

--------------------
2001 GT - True Blue
-K&N Air Filter
-Air Silencer (removed)
-Magnaflow Cat-Back/3.5" SS Tips
-Griggs Sub-Frame Connectors
-MM K-Member Brace
-Steeda Tri Ax

In the not too distant future:
-H&R Springs
-Tokico Illuminas

Posts: 32 | From: Mountain View - Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did my Magnaflow exhuast first and I just added the Magnaflow Xpipe 2weeks ago. If you want loud then you will need to go with the MagnaPaks.

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I never have all the money at once either but on my stang i went back to front starting with the mufflers going to the headers. No downside at all its the way to go if your on a tight budget!

--------------------
Support our troops!

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I feel you on the no money thing I'm gonna buy my suspenion one part at a time but not putting it in until i have most of it cuz i wanna see a big difference not a small one then another small one and so on as for the exhuast i dont see a down side to do one at a time. If you want loud then dont go with cats just buy a new h or x pipe then keep your stock h pipe for smog, that and the pipes w/o cats dont cost as much.

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

Eric '01 GT
Member # 830

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Eric '01 GT  Ford pictures for Eric '01 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BluStang2001:
After hearing all of you drive off at the meet last Sunday, I've realized it's time I do something about my stock exhaust.

My intention is to go with the Bassani X-pipe and Magnaflow cat-back, but I can't really afford to do it all at once. Does it make sense to do the cat-back first? Any downside to doing the exhaust 1 piece at a time?

I felt exactly the same way about my way-too-quiet stock setup but also didn't want to spend a lot of bucks, so I decided to just order new mufflers and have them welded onto the stock pipes. Worked out great for me.

--------------------
2001 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium 5spd

MAC SS Flowpaths, Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Pro 5.0 w/ Steeda handle, H&R Super Sports w/ Bilsteins,
K&N w/o air silencer, CDC Sequential Taillights, Removed Spoiler

Posts: 6 | From: Union City, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
GTChink
¯
Member # 293

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GTChink  Ford pictures for GTChink    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Eric '01 GT:

I felt exactly the same way about my way-too-quiet stock setup but also didn't want to spend a lot of bucks, so I decided to just order new mufflers and have them welded onto the stock pipes. Worked out great for me.

So when are you gonna get an offroad!!! lol...

--------------------
1999 GT Twin Screwedsold.

Posts: 477 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
BluStang2001
¯
Member # 626

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluStang2001  Ford pictures for BluStang2001    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the input. I think doing the exhaust from back to front is the way I'll go.

I'm happy to see no one bashed me for my choice of brands/products. Oh sh*t..did I just open myself up? hehe

--------------------
2001 GT - True Blue
-K&N Air Filter
-Air Silencer (removed)
-MM K-Member Brace
-Steeda Tri Ax

-H&R Springs
-Tokico Illuminas

j0k3r
¯
Member # 826

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0k3r  Ford pictures for j0k3r    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BluStang2001:
Thanks for the input. I think doing the exhaust from back to front is the way I'll go.

I'm happy to see no one bashed me for my choice of brands/products. Oh sh*t..did I just open myself up? hehe

I saved up and did my exhaust, suspension and gears all at once. If I would have done my exhaust in steps though, I would start with the catback. Save a little while longer and do the full catback to start. IMHO it is better and you would notice more of a difference than just welding the mufflers in.

--------------------
[img]http://www.writebacksoon.net/pics/sig.jpg[/img]
Webmaster
http://www.1999gt.com

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you decide to go with any bassani product, be ready to lay down a nice amount of cash. But, you get what you paid for [Bling Bling]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
BluStang2001
¯
Member # 626

The Bassani cat-back kit is about $150 more than the Magnaflow. Both have great reviews on StangNet.... So, I'm still a little torn.

--------------------
2001 GT - True Blue
-K&N Air Filter
-Air Silencer (removed)
-MM K-Member Brace
-Steeda Tri Ax

-H&R Springs
-Tokico Illuminas

armabu20
¯
Member # 860

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for armabu20  Ford pictures for armabu20    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have an BBK Offroad X pipe sitting in my garage. It came off my '01 GT. Make me an offer if you're interested.
Posts: 107 | From: Milpitas, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok, i want to pass on a little wisdom. I was a young kid, unsure what to do, when i met brian at my first cruise. We started talking about exhaust, and this is what he said. "You will love longtubes, just get them now, so you wont spend time switching your exhaust later". So, what did i do? Not listen to Brian of course. I bought a MAC off-road H and loved the way it sounded. But guess what? I am waiting for my check from the government to get rid of my mac off-road h and replace it with BBK Longtubes and short H. Just do it.
Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Rally
Member # 971

Ford Icon 11 posted      Profile for Rally  Ford pictures for Rally    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a '97 GT 5sp. and it is my understanding that on these modular engines, the most restrictive element in the exhaust is the stock h-pipe. You should feel the most power improvement in changing this element first. The catback will add a couple of horses, and give great sound (but so will the h/x-pipe...) but the real gain here is with the middle section of exhaust. I am in the same boat mods-wise and am doing the x-pipe first.

--------------------
'97 GT 5sp. convertible

k&n.....changing shortly

flatacid
¯
Member # 878

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for flatacid  Ford pictures for flatacid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i haven't really looked at newer stangs exhaust so i might be wrong with my thinking. if i would have done it over again i would have gotten headers first. if the new stangs headers look anything like the fox bodys then that would be my first exhuast mod. i think you would get more from headers first then from cat-back first.

if theres some insight on this let me know.

--------------------
89 mustang gt w/ t5

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com